IW STi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Wrx Stage 2 257 5MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post. In January I hit a jackpot and traded my truck in for an unassuming 2005 WRX wagon that also had a full and fresh (10k miles) iAG Stage 2 Tuff block EJ257 set up. It runs great with zero drivability issues, but I did expect a few electrical issues / non motor related problems with a chassis with near 230k. (owner had to part ways with it due to unexpected pregnancy)
In April I took the car to the coast which was about a 4 hour drive, was doing a decent amount of pulls, then got gas about halfway there. After the fill up the gas level gauge read full, then when I started doing a few more pulls, I watched my gauge drop from full, to empty with the gas light on within about a minute, which freaked me out. Soon it began to rise on its own back to about 3/4ths, then it dropped back to 1/4th, then it rose to an accurate range (needle bobbing up and down around my actual level.
The gauge did this about 3 or 4 times the rest of the trip, and it gave me a P0464, which I cleared with my AP when I arrived. (Which I know is stupid, but I hate CELs with a passion, took picture of code.)
Ever since that day, my gauge will sporadically drop to different fuel levels if below 3/4ths. Usually within 5 minutes or so it corrects itself, but every now and then it throws the code again. I’ve learned to live with it at this point, but if I can do something about it I will. The previous owner mentioned the issue when I messaged him about it, but funny I never experienced it until warmer weather.
Anyone have any clue as to what’s going on? So far I’ve read it could be the arm on the float on the pump assembly, or even the charcoal canister (also had a code for purge solenoid circuit low input since I’ve had it, but previous owner cleared light for it on break in tune.) but I want to know all the possibilities for what’s going on, thanks.
also have a clip of the tank after it dropped to E, going back to 1/2 within one minute.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,211 Posts
Two separte issues:
1) bad sensor circuit - proabaly sensor in tank, but could be guage itself or wiring,. Not sure if the sensor ia avaialb ealone. Be wary of the hose barbs. When rusted they can get pin holes from looking at em :( I once paid $500 fro a new hanger to replace em,. Check price on full tank and what comes with it.
2) GDs are notorious for having difficult to fix code and filling issues when old. We replaced everything on an 03 WRX and never really resolved the issues.

Reactions: JadensGarage

·
Registered
2005 Wrx Stage 2 257 5MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two separte issues:
1) bad sensor circuit - proabaly sensor in tank, but could be guage itself or wiring,. Not sure if the sensor ia avaialb ealone. Be wary of the hose barbs. When rusted they can get pin holes from looking at em :( I once paid $500 fro a new hanger to replace em,. Check price on full tank and what comes with it.
2) GDs are notorious for having difficult to fix code and filling issues when old. We replaced everything on an 03 WRX and never really resolved the issues.
Good to know. I am replacing my fuel pump before I go in to take it off the break in tune, so I was just going to replace that whole fuel pump housing / assembly to see if it works. Any clue where I can find one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts