IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to buy this car with every thing I've got. I'm planning on saving every penny to buy the '05 model sometime between October and December of next year. With the money saved put down for initial payment, I can get the car payment down to about $120 a month. Throw in about $160 a month for insurance and that gets me to $280. That leaves gas... How much do you current owners think you spend on gas in a month. I'm hoping to get the average drives response (1000-1200 miles a month). Any input would be great. :eek:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well at an average of 2000 miles a month @ 20mpg = 100 gallons x 1.XX for 93 = how much you will be spending. If you only plan to do 1000 miles a month cut it in half... 500 miles a month cut it into a forth. Hope this helps, but it all depends on how you drive it. The first week I put over 1000 miles on it trying to break it in, so I spent like 80$/wk on gas lol

Robert~

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Don't make yourself "car poor." It's one of the worst things you can possibly do financially even more so than "house poor" since a car depriciates so quickly. If you're scrimping and saving and coming up with 280 a month and wondering how you can swing gas money then I suggest you wait a bit longer to get the STi.

M

·
0 Posts
I've kept track of my mileage, and it completely varies relative to the way the car is driven.

If you shift at 3.5k every gear and never get on it, you can get like 25mpg even driving around town (or at least on 93 octane you can). But if you enjoy it, it gets progressively lower. If you do a lot of highway driving, you can expect that much anyways.

Still, the lowest tank I've recorded was 19 mpg and that was with me standing on it every chance I got.

I average probably right at 22mpg, but I don't drive the crap out of it either.

mist

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yup....I have to agree with cboggess on this one. If you are worried about the price of gas, I wouldn't be considering the car. What if you get in an accident and your insurance skyrockets? Time to replace the brake pads....you know how much those are?

A car isn't worth worrying yourself about making the bill payments each month....come to think of it, nothing is.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Re: got a brand new STi - a few odd questions

I drive my car hard every once and a while and I got ~22mpg when I filled up, so its not tooo bad.

Robert~

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hillclimb, including video

Sorry, but I will have to side with cboggess and CloNeGTS. If $100.00 a month in gas has you concerned then a $30,000 car is not for you.

Either save and pruchase a used STI in a few years or wait until your means are such that you can obtain one comfortably would be my $.02.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the deal. I live at home and go to college. I pay for all of my expenses but I don't pay rent or anything. I average about $1,000 a month of unspent income. By saving up until October-December of '04, I hope to buy an '05 STi at below MSRP. I figure since it'll be winter and the second year release, the car will be in lower demand so the price will drop a bit with negotiation. The plan is to make enough of a down payment so that I can finance about $5K-6K. That'll get the monthly payments waaaay down, probably $120ish a month, which is what I pay for my Civic. Insurance and gas become the X-Factors. I want to be able to keep total automotive expenses to about $450 a month. That way I don't have to worry about being "car poor".

·
Registered
10 Posts
No one hear can tell you how to live your life obviously, but if you're coming out of college in a couple of years I would think twice about a "hot" car. Two years after I graduated I had pretty low expenses, and leased an Audi TT... BIG mistake. You never really fully consider the expenses you have starting out.

Once you get that place by yourself all of a sudden you have to furnish it, maybe buy a new Hi Fi, pay a myriad of bills, etc. I wish I would have had about $10K in savings when "starting out" so I didn't have to hit up the credit cards.

Two years later I got out of the TT, at a loss, and am paying off debit and driving a beater 1991 Maxima. Once I'm debt free and have $10-20K in the bank for a "rainy day" I'll be the first in line for an 05 STi. Until then, from a "been there, done that" perspective I would have waited to get a "hot" car. I would think saving some of the $20K it sounds like your planning on spending on a down payment would give you a nice "starting out" fund, that you'll get more mileage out of.

All that said, if you do go for the STi I'll still be jealous! Good luck whichever way you play it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oldirty, are your parents inclined to bail you out if you get upside down?

Any chance you'll get a better job?

What state do you live in? Have you considered car taxes? Gray Davis will nail you if you live in California. I'm paying $600/yr to Virginia for the privilege of a year's driving (just got the bill).

Answer the two questions "yes" and I'd say do it. What a blast. If I were 20 again, I'd live on ramen to drive own this car! Now that I'm a geezer I wish I had made myself more house poor. I only have a one-car garage. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, here is the low down. I live in VA so I'll probably have to pay the same tax as you do. I'm gonna have a bachelors degree in about 2.5 years so hopefully i'll be making more money then I am now. I work full time and will be working full time for the rest of my life. By next October-December I should have about 20-23K sitting in my bank. Coupled with the sale of my 98 Civic, I should have about 27-30k available to put down on the car. The thing i'm concerned about is very expensive maintenence/insurance/gasoline costs. I'll be 23 when I buy the car, but my driving record is spotless. I could afford to spend about $450 a month to keep the car on the road, that way I have a savings of about $500-600 a month. With that said, I'm a being a total tool by even considering this car? Thanks for the input so far, everything said has been very insightful.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Here is what I suggest. go to your advisor and find out the average salary of someone coming out of that school in your major for the past 4 years. Average that number. Take that number and reduce it by 35% (Taxes and all that). then go out and look at the cost of apartments, utilities, food, clothing, furniture, insurance (for both the car and renters ins.), gasoline, birthdays, holidays, fun money, dating money, savings, then add 20%. what you have left over is what you can afford on a car. Also build into your expenses some kind of a safety net (ie. I want to keep at least XX in savings at all times in case something happens).

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Also, I would make sure you get a job first especially in todays market and if your BA will be in IT or engineering I would really wait and see. From what I got from your post, you wont even be out of college yet when you plan to buy this car. Don't spend or plan with money you don't have yet.

M

·
0 Posts
Definitely err on the side of caution. Listen to all the old people in here, :)

You will be able to appreciate your car much more if you aren't fretting over it's cost the entire time you own it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also a transplant

IMHO no one who is still in college should be driving an STi . I hate to give you the whole life lecture but whether you have the $$ or not it is a bad idea.

Wait, get out of college get a stable job in the meanwhile INVEST what you have saved. Take it from me making money is just as big a thrill as driving an STi (more so in my opinion). There will ALWAYS be hot cars you will want to have. If you pass up on the STi now that doesn't mean that when you get out of college there wont be a hot car screaming for you to buy her.

And let me tell you buying a car is a f****** headache. Also how much money are you going to put in the car? You do realize it's got no floormats and no audio system and trust me you're gonna want that audio system. Also according to my computation the car gets about 20mi/gallon. Oh and don't forget you're gonna need a new set of tires after 10k and those are gonna run you a cool grand. Oil changes, brake pads, fuzzy dice... Do you see what I'm telling you? Getting laid is cheaper!!!

Sorry for the long post it just seems to me that at this point in your life there are simply too many unknowns and buying an STi is a huge risk for someone that has very little financial stability and simply not worth it in the long run. Take it from me I have enough money to pay all my expenses, including the STi, twice over and it was still a VERY big decision for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts