IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally made the decision of going with the awesome STi.What I need to know now is what is the best way of getting one of these baby's.Reason I'm asking is I've never bought a car outright own my own and don't know exactly what to expect.Oh yeah I'm going to try and wait out the winter until I actually purchase one if that's possible.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
assuming you have good credit...have a downpayment ready (some dealers may accept $0; dunno. depends on your credit, i think), decide on a color combo, find a dealer that is selling at or below invoice (there are several), go buy the car.

buying is an amazingly long process; took me about 2.5 hours just do do all the paper work. and this was for a car that was ordered months before, and had already been through PDI. btw, the dealer will try to add options (dimming compass mirror, boost gauge) and extras (paint protector, lojack, yada yada). i took none of them. up to you.

if you don't have a car now, find an insurance company that'll give you a good rate for the sti. if you have a car, call your insurance company *before* you drive off the lot with the car.

enjoy. :)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello,

Another future owner here, 3 more months and I'm doing all sorts of research.

Question 1: Can the dealer install the following if I request them:

a. Aftermarket stereo. ( deck, 4 speakers)
b. Subaru Differential proector.
c. Defi gauges + Subaru pod.

Question 2: I don't feel I really need the 3 gauge pod, aside from the oil temp gauge. If I'm very careful with the car and let it warm up enough time before I start having fun, can I just leave off the oil temp gauge?

Question 3: Do dealers off synthetic oil or should I bring my own after 3700 miles? (first oil change) My choice is Mobil 1, 5W-30 full synthetic.

Question 4: How much is the extened warrenty? Can I buy it later?

Question 5: Can the dealer get me STi floor mats? (not the rubber one)

Thanks for all of your help,

Peleg. (AKA "P")

·
Registered
119 Posts
EJ257 one of 10 Best Engines

In the S.E. PA area there are a number of dealers, so the point about shopping around for price is really important. Also if you are going to wait and the winter is a bad one you may get even better deals. Credit is important and deciding what you can afford a month. And don't forget to add in the cost of that insurance plus the extras, which if you don't wait until after the winter will include snow tires. If you never have bought a car alone before however, besides doing your homework, sometimes it helps to take a trusted friend or family member for support. It can be long and involved, and READ everything. Salespeople ARE NOT ALWAYS YOUR BEST FRIENDS! SFRinNJ

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all good questions but no answers from me as I'm still shopping for the right deal here in southeast pa.if anyone has had a good experience with dealers in the dela. valley post them I'm new at this and find it a bit over my head.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Once you know what they paid for the car YOU WIN.

Anyone know the real invoice on these suckers?
I have seen 29,900.

To the guy who was asking about the options and such..
NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER.

Read that about six times. Then add "BUY OPTIONS FROM A DEALER"
Best Buy includes FREE INSTALLATION if you buy the deck there. Get a nice pioneer or alpine or something and have those guys put it in. They do it ALL the time and the know more than the dealer. The dealer only occasionally installs radios and they are almost ALWAYS factory. (in other words monkey proof due to matched wiring.)

You really don't want all that other crap do you? The only thing you might want to spend all that money on is the diff guard. (If you have rough terrain) These people make six figures a year at the subaru corporate US headquarters trying to figure out stuff like cargo net, $500 gauges and diff guards in the hopes it will appeal to people willing to blow the cash.

Bottom line?
you can always DO BETTER both quality and pricing with OEM.
Get some AutoSpec or GReddy gauges and then get a post mount kit.
It's a lot easier to install and is much much cheaper. Plus they don't look like cheap ass 1979 volkswagen oil gauges but sharp racy HSK-like Supra gauges...

Think of those options like a gas station. Hey, while you are getting gas why not get that drink you wanted and that popcorn. BUT it's 3x the money and it's generic shyte. The plus? you don't have to leave the gas station and drive all the way to the grocery store. You can just go straight home...

Well if you are patient, you will ALWAYS win in the auto market. They prey on people who are emotionally married to the car and not willing to wait. They make you feel like if you walk away it will be gone for good..

bah!

If you only knew what they have to go through while that car sits and collects dust. Cars sales, for the salesman is feast or famine. I frankly don't know how people can do it as a form of income. It can be great but it's damn hard work and really stressfull. That's why I never beat up my salesman... too much... hehe..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts