IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Up until Saturday I was about to get a 350Z, been on their forum for 7 months studying the car.

This past Saturday, I test drove the STi and was hooked after 10 seconds of driving, so badly that I'm about 90% positive I'm buying this baby instead of the Z, around March.

I'm 24 and paying for it all, however, my father is pretty conservative...wants to know everything...he said he hasn't seen the STi at all. I told him I saw it 3 times. He thinks this car doesn't sell or isn't good because he hasn't seen it. I tried to explain him about the car being limited production and the exterior not appealing to alot of people, but he still doesn't buy it. Deep down, I think he wants me to get the 350. "I see these 350's alot more now, still I don't see the STi". God I hope murphy law strikes tomorrow and he sees one! I'm way hooked on the STi. How would you explain him that he doesn't see this car as much?

I'm also trying to research the car, see if there are any major issues with it. Please be upfront, I'm about to spend some serious money. I know modifications can lead to problems, I had that with my current ride, so I decided the STi will stay stock, other than grounding kit and perhaps a turbo timer, if that's needed.

I was wondering if I can come out to one of the local Bay Area meets and talk to you folks. I'm in the east bay, near concord. (925)

From what I've read, there are not alot of issues with this car at all. Two issues I noticed were people with weird engine noises, and someone saying something about having to put a 93 octane fuel in this car and some scarey stories about detonation.... I know of 91 octane, but not 93...will that mess up the car? I would think a US version car would be built to run on 91. Anyways, maybe I should save everything until I meet some owners.

Appreciate the help.

P.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
My understanding is that most of the detonation issues have been solved with an ECU reflash. A new one purchased now may have a build date late enough that it has an updated ECU. You would have to search the forum to see what dates might be before the updated ECU.

The Z is an awesome car too. Certainly looks nicer, or at least a lot sleeker! But probably slightly less practical. The suby at least has a small, uncomfortable back seat that can be used in an emergency, or for the dog if you are like me. I'm sure it would work great for child seats.

The STi looks more boy racer, but the reliability should be >= Nissan. I have not read much on 350Z's lately (been researching the STi before purchase) but I think people were starting to have problems with their 6-speeds. Some people had them replaced, or so they claimed.

And with all-wheel drive, the STi is better for someone in areas that get slippery. In the bay area, probably not an issue that should swing you one way or the other.

You can't say that you can't throw a rock without hitting one like you can some of the other Subaru's or other popular cars (cough:Honda:cough), but I am starting to see them. There are at least three of us where I work now, maybe more because I always park in the same lot and don't tour the others much.

I think his concern is misplaced and that it comes down to which car you prefer. If you do keep it stock, I don't think there are any current issues which have not been resolved (detonation). The car should be solid.

S

·
0 Posts
Ask your dad to read the September Sport Compact Car comparo between the Audi A4, BMW M3, Porsche C4 and the EVO VIII and then have him watch the STi vs EVO video clip which used to be linked here somewhere. The one where the STi is chosen over the EVO. I will try to find the link and post it.

If you do these two things your dad will buy the STi, then all you have to do is borrow it. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts