IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future owner, please help!

Hello everyone,

Up until Saturday I was about to get a 350Z, been on their forum for 7 months studying the car.

This past Saturday, I test drove the STi and was hooked after 10 seconds of driving, so badly that I'm about 90% positive I'm buying this baby instead of the Z, around March.

I'm 24 and paying for it all, however, my father is pretty conservative...wants to know everything...he said he hasn't seen the STi at all. I told him I saw it 3 times. He thinks this car doesn't sell or isn't good because he hasn't seen it. I tried to explain him about the car being limited production and the exterior not appealing to alot of people, but he still doesn't buy it. Deep down, I think he wants me to get the 350. "I see these 350's alot more now, still I don't see the STi". God I hope murphy law strikes tomorrow and he sees one! I'm way hooked on the STi. How would you explain him that he doesn't see this car as much?

I'm also trying to research the car, see if there are any major issues with it. Please be upfront, I'm about to spend some serious money. I know modifications can lead to problems, I had that with my current ride, so I decided the STi will stay stock, other than grounding kit and perhaps a turbo timer, if that's needed.

From what I've read, there are not alot of issues with this car at all. Two issues I noticed were people with weird engine noises, and someone saying something about having to put a 93 octane fuel in this car and some scarey stories about detonation.... I know of 91 octane, but not 93...will that mess up the car? I would think a US version car would be built to run on 91. Anyways, maybe I should save everything until I meet some owners.

Anyone in the Bay Area, CA...I'm willing to drive up to 30 miles in order to talk to you and ask some basic questions.

Appreciate the help.

P.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Rest easy. . .there have been very few issues with our cars, thus far.

Tell your father it's an extremely small number of STis on the road. 3200 units only are going to be imported every year. They're built in Japan (good) and the accessory options are installed at port.

They're a very competant 4-door with gobs of power, excellent handling (although the 350 Track model is exceptional in the dry) and it's a very robust and tough chassis to boot. The interior is better-built than the Z, albeit spartan in appearance. Mods for the WRX line are generally less expensive than for the Z. Overall, it's a far more practical car, and would easily serve you for many years.

I almost bought a Z, too. A few things swayed me to the STi:

1. Back seat and trunk
2. AWD
3. Same Brembos
4. Engine will respond better to mods

These are just a few, but they're pretty significant ones. The Z is a bit more money for what you get. . . but it IS a sports car, wheras the STi is a sports sedan. To put it more accurately, a rally car. (Please educate your father on the pro rally and he'll understand)

The Z has been out far longer than the STi, and they're more easily identified than the WRXs on the road. The WRX has been around for several years now, and its place in the Subaru lineup, very established. Not that the Z isn't, but you get my point.

Overall, the STi is a practical beast. Upon picking mine up a week ago, I feel as if I made the right choice every time I go to get into it. It's me. Practical, fun-loving, and just a very smart choice.

Perhaps you should take HIM for a test ride, if you can. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since its your money, how much weight does his decision have on the purchase of YOUR car?

Don't get me wrong, I certainly value my dad's financial ideas, but I ultimately make my own decisions. The STI just came out in May, why would you think he has seen them all over the place. Its not a civic, thats the point of subaru only producing about 3000 a year.

-Lance

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey, welcome Peleg! You have chosen wisely. I just got my STi like 9 days ago and can highly recommend it. I actually didn't seriously consider any other car but the STi when I bought it so I can't comment on the 350Z, but they're very nice from what I hear. I like the looks of the G35 coupe better, but anyhoo...

As for explaining to your dad about not seeing STis out there, Subaru doesn't have commercials on TV for the STi (that I've seen) and aren't putting up big billboards on the side of every freeway. It's a car for people who already know and appreciate what it is and don't need advertisements to tell them about it. No idea what the production numbers are vs. the 350z but I'm sure they're just making fewer of them.

I don't know of any "major issues" regarding the STis reliability. I've had 702 miles logged so far and my only complaint is an off alignment from the factory - some others have reported the same if you do a search. Going to get that taken care of tomorrow. And I'm not currently planning to modify mine (until I learn how to handle what it already has) besides definitely putting in a stereo one of these days.

I'm also running 91 octane CA gas and haven't had a knock yet (up to 5k rpm or so in a few "emergency situations" - almost done breaking it in) so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think it's rarer to be knocking than reading these forums would lead you to believe.

All in all, it's the ultimate do-everything-well car (unless you like to be pampered while you're doing it). I personally am not a huge fan of the wing and generally outlandish looks, but the STi can actually talk the talk. I've now put off swapping trunks for a "wing-less" look. Didn't want to do it and then regret it later...

But I say you go for it and don't worry what other folks think. I'm completely biased, but think the STi is one of a kind.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome, thanks for posting so far. I've posted this in 2 places in order to get more responses, but I see there's a good amount of traffic here, which is great.

I test drove the Z in April, it's fast, not as fast as the STi. After researching the support issue on the forum, and my father owning a 95 Altima, I was disappointed by the dealer support and service, good product but the support just sucks. The solution is Infiniti who has much better service and they take care of 350's. (I called them)

This brings the next issue, service. Other than synthetic oil every 3000 miles, how's the maintenance? I would assume small, since it's a new car, plus it's built in Japan...that means something to me.

How's the service at the dealer? Do you feel they "know" the car and how to service it? This is very important to me. I've been an acura owner for 3 years, the dealer knows their stuff. (Aside from trying to rip you off, but I know my car from A to Z so that doesn't happen anymore)

I know understand why my father doesn't see the STi as much...yet. I read the comment about ME buying the car and this is my money. You're right, it's all about me, but we are really close and he wants to make sure I'm making the right choice. To make a long story short, I wasn't born here....I never dreamed of buying such cars (STi, 350Z) in my wildest dreams...I'm the first one in the family to buy a brand new spanking car of this kind...he wants it to be a good experience.

Last but not least, how much did you guys pay out the door? (approx if you don't mind sharing) Where did you buy? (CA folks)

Harlan, I test drove it in downtown Oakland, they seemed nice and very eager to sell. By the way, where are you in the Bay? I'm in Clayton...we have only 1 STi in my neighborhood, he's up the street and I'm dying to talk to someone in person.

One more question: I did feel like it, but is it really 300 hp/300 TQ at the crank? (Just want to make sure this isn't a Ford Mustang Cobra type of hipe)

Appreciate everyone's time.

Peleg. (AKA "P")

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Chances are good there's even more there once the engine matures and loosens up. Someone said somewhere the thing was actually underrated. :eek:

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
it isnt actually 300/300 like they claim, alot of tuners have found more... APS got 311hp and about 315or so ft/lbs torque on the stock engine :D
www.airpowersystems.com.au

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another future owner here

Stop it! You're making me drool......Hehe...

How does the dealer treat you? A nice quancher of Mobil 1 synthetic and you're out on your way? Just curious....

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
That is one of the best things about the STi is NOT seeing them everywhere. I honestly see more 350/G35s than even WRXs now and they have only been out for about a year now. Imagine how many you will see in another year or 2. They look nice but that is about all I will give them. Now if they were a TT 6 like the old ones...

Peleg said:
. Other than synthetic oil every 3000 miles, how's the maintenance?
If you are set on changing the oil every 3k, don't waste your money on synthetic just use regular oil. Changing synthetic every 3k is a waste of good oil IMO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Peleg,
I live in Antioch, CA, not too far from where you are in Clayton. I bought mine (blue/gold) from Diablo Mazda/Subaru at MSRP. However, I waited about 5 months before I got it. Otherwise you can pick one up with around $2000 markup on top of MSRP. With turbo gauge, armrest extension, wheel lock, and alarm system (these came with the car installed at the port), I paid a little bit more than $35000 out the door.

My wife has an auto wrx and been serviced by this dealer. They seem okay to me. But the maintenance cost is a little higher than Honda and Toyota. I owned an Integra Yype R before and Acura had better service. However, Diablo Subaru did get the job done properly. One time my wife's wrx (during warranty) had some unny noise in the right rear door. They spent two days figuring out what happened fixed accordingly. We got free car rental for that two days. So I think they are average, if not the best..

I believe the Subaru dealer in Oakland does charge more mark-up than Diablo. Anyway, I test drove a Z (track model) last year. Its accelaration and handling are good. I passed it because a two-seater is not practical in my wife's eyes and in fact the track model costs more than a STI. Now I am glad I bought the STI. Man, it accelerates even better than the Z. The handling is also better, IMO. Too bad we only have 91 octane in the Bay Area. We will lose some power with lower octane. I have been unsuccessful in finding a gas station selling 93 or above octane. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Klui,

Thanks for the reply. The Diablo dealer didn't impress me too much. He didn't have any of them on the lot back in August, and said I can't test drive.

I called Livermore this weekend, they won't let me test drive either. I kept trying, called Oakland, the salesman talked to his Manager for a second and said: common down! The test drive was a blast, and I was sold after 10 seconds of driving. I test drove the Performance Z back in April, the STi is ALOT faster. I was just blown away by it. I was pretty set on the Track Z, until the test drive.

I didn't see any markups in Oakland to be honest, unless I wasn't looking close enough. Maybe it was back then, and now things are beginning to settle down. I'm also checking with someone in LA. I plan to purchase around late Feburary, early March. It's going to be my weekend toy.

That's all for now.

P.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Peleg said:
I test drove the Performance Z back in April, the STi is ALOT faster.
That's why a lot of them don't let people test drive. I did get to test drive mine before I made up my mind, but I never got on it and so could not have been able to make comparisons to anything faster than a Kia. No one wants to buy a car that's been raced during its break-in period. I didn't mind the idea of someone test driving mine previous to purchase if they drove it like I did, but not if they romped on it.

Still, I have no idea how you are supposed to make up your mind on a $30k purchase without a test drive. :-?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey man if you're dad is really a conservative guy then this will impress him:

Tell your dad to look up subaru imprezas in consumer reports. Go to their website, or buy the car guide they publish. He and you will be impressed by the fact that it has received top ratings for the past 5 years. And almost perfect ratings for the past 3.

Now tell him to look at Subarus in general. Subaru knows how to make cars man and there are plenty of people who are willing to vouch for them.

But if you really want to convince your dad. Tell him to go test drive one. That'll shut him up real fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
WRX has been a top 10 choice for the last two years. The STi is even better. Here in Arizona we only have 91 octane, and I have never had a pinging condition even with 100+ degree days and the A/C on. My wife has a WRX/automatic and I have a Java/gold STi. Respect your Father's concerns and he will respect your choice.....STi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts