·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
We all like the helmet pic.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Transmission swapped, hopefully the last major part this year.

mod list on the first page has been updated to reflect some changes that have happened over the last little while.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Nice updates Funk! Sweet goddamn helmet though.

It's nice when people trust you enough in that regard, good vibes all around. Glad you got some seat time. Can't wait to see updates with YOUR car on track some time in the future. I've been following this for a long time waiting to see that! :lol:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Halo+Predator hybrid helmet FTW!

You are welcome to post my rear suspension package that I raced on at WTAC in 2015.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Nice updates Funk! Sweet goddamn helmet though.

It's nice when people trust you enough in that regard, good vibes all around. Glad you got some seat time. Can't wait to see updates with YOUR car on track some time in the future. I've been following this for a long time waiting to see that! :lol:
Yeah, getting seat time is always good and nice to have those types of friends that let you drive. I wish I had friends like that, lol. I did it with my car one year and the driver won the Car and Driver challenge then got testy with me over a small fuel contribution after winning over $5,000 in prizes! Never did offer to let me autocross his car, SMH.

Halo+Predator hybrid helmet FTW!

You are welcome to post my rear suspension package that I raced on at WTAC in 2015.
That helmet is straight gangster! Leave it to David - my first thought was Tank, then Masterchief, then Predator, but I think he sets a whole new standard!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
When I installed the RCE Tarmac 3's I felt like there was an issue with the rear top perches. Now these were used on a WTAC car but didn't last long and I am starting to see why as the shop that installed these hadn't a clue. Below you will se a series of pictures starting with the differences between the parts.

20170605_203357 by David, on Flickr

Here it is installed incorrectly and you can see that there is very little room for the bearings in the top hats to work.

2017-06-06 07.57.26 by David, on Flickr

Now we can see there is the correct amount of room for the bearings in the top hat to work.

2017-06-06 07.57.07 by David, on Flickr

Now without these being corrected the piston rod would have taken the brunt of the force of the coilover moving up and down and also flexing during extreme conditions, which in the end would have probably bent the rod and/or damaged the shocks themselves.

Below is a picture of how the car sits now. Just need some side skirts to clean up the look. All systems are ready so far and hopefully a test/race at the end of the month.

20170605_201552 by David, on Flickr

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Before hitting the track there are a few other little things I wanted to get done. Heat control was one of them, key thing is to keep the engine bay temps down while doing full days at the track, this will help on a few different levels but 2 main ones are IAT and Coolant temps. I also had a concern about how close the DP is to the wiring harness on the fire wall. Now ETS does provide a small plate meant to shield things back there but I was unable to get the bolts out of where the bracket was to be mounted without causing a lot more work for myself. The big sheet you see came from a local race teams spares so dont ask me who makes it because I know the actual brand.

20170608_174913 by David, on Flickr

20170608_225810 by David, on Flickr

20170608_225818 by David, on Flickr

I have also purchased a few other things to help me through the season. The OMP CESST 1 manual pull fire suppression system. I also finally bought a Setrab Oil cooler finally lol. Then just some more AIM products to help capture some Data and allow people to give me feed back as to why I am so slow haha.

20170611_174358 by David, on Flickr

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #470

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #477 (Edited)
SO lets rewind to a few days ago, I started my week day evenings like most lol working on the car, Thursday was coolant to water/Motul additive and friday night was brake flush to Motul 660 all went well even tho I thought I was gonna strip a bleeder valve... you know just my luck kinda thing to happen but all clear. I wasnt able to install a oil cooler and by the looks of the weather it wasnt going to be a big deal since I carry a lot of oil on board via dry sump tank.

Saturday morning we loaded the car up and headed down to Toronto and had the car aligned and again all went smooth and well. Then headed to Touge Tunings new shop to drop the car off and do some last min things like adding some side skirts and cleaning the windows and adding some RainX as I didnt really want to use wipers.

20170624_212649 by David, on Flickr

We all met up early Sunday morning to load the cars on trailers and grab some shop supplies for the day. The car went through tech inspection without issues, had it warming up a bit then we waited since my run group was first up but I was still needing to sort myself out (race suit and hans device setup.... harnesses need to be fitted with hans on to begin with unlike what I did and was very tight LOL FML)

20170625_095254 by David, on Flickr

Well here we go, brought the car up and waited for the run group to take off, all started well, taking it easy and warming up the Pirelli trofeo R as they are extra slippery when cold on a cold tarmac. only part throttle and nothing crazy, car felt great... a little tail happy but cold tires are to blame for most if not all of it (lots of people were spinning or getting sideways). As I came around the front stretch I wanted to get some good speed so I could test the ABS as that was the only system I couldn't check at home, it worked great no issues. As I start making my way in the the infield I had something splash onto the windshield (1st indication something went wrong) I then slowed my pace and lost all power, coasted the car off the track onto a small paved area. I stayed in the car as we are all told to and I still thought maybe I like came off and all was ok... White-ish smoke, nothing to be worried about as I sat waiting then it went black, so I got out and looked through the hood vents and sure enough flames... oh fuck oh fuck I quickly jump back in the car to pull the OMP fire suppression system and it worked like a charm. Car was towed back to the pits and we let it cool down a bit before we put out faces into it.

20170625_174041 by David, on Flickr
20170625_115450 by David, on Flickr

After checking we noticed a lot of oil and it at first seemed like the turbo drain, then one of the crank case breathers on the block but we could not 100% pin point it. so after checking we had enough oil I tried to start it again... a few failed starts then a start and then it died, I knew the sound a cylinder was toast but still not 100% what or why... closer inspection found a HOLE in the block just under the throttle body on the #3 cylinder area where the case halves meet. SO that means for sure the day is OVER.

20170625_174156 by David, on Flickr
20170625_162419 by David, on Flickr

found some of the parts on the splitter
20170625_193150 by David, on Flickr
20170625_193119 by David, on Flickr

I didn't take any pictures of the area where the fire was, I will get some when I pull the motor next weekend, basically what happened was the hole was forcing oil towards the turbo and uppipe area, with the fire I seen on the uppipe. After pulling the hood it was evident that there were more than 1 small fires burning, the hood is blackened and so is the heat shielding I added to the back firewall area to protect the wiring.

This is how she sat for the rest of the day.... few thundershowers past through the area and a shit ton of rain.
20170625_105953 by David,

All in all I am just happy I was able to save the car from fire and I didn't get hurt. The 4 min I had on the track with it felt so good I need to keep going. Depending on the damage it may take a few months to get it back up (Aug I hope the latest). I can't thank enough Chris for being there and genuinely seemed just as disappointed in this situation as I was feeling, and congrats to him on coming in 2nd within Production class with the 15 WRX.

Thank you to all you have expressed their concerns for my well being and sadness for the situation.

EDIT: Just to be clear this motor is over 7 years old has seen roughly 20-30k km of abuse/track life and 20-30k km of DD duties and was just a basic rod/piston build short block. heads on the other hand were not just a quick job FML

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Darn it sorry to hear - glad you saved the car from severe thermal damage. Disappointed for you but know things will be back up and running again soon.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
thanks, defiantly a slight panic when I seen the fire. My thoughts were... "this fucking better work".

461 - 480 of 484 Posts