IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know if a full-size spare will fit in that compartment under the trunk in the '03 WRX?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm guessing they haven't changed the body stampings for the '03 model from the '02 model, and the '02 model will not handle a full sized. :(

As happy as I am with automotive advancements, the lack of a full size spare in 99% of new vehicles still pisses me off.

J.B.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also was told that a space-saving spare is bad for AWD...but if that were the case, why didn't Subaru make the spare full-size?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Yeah I can't stand that there is no full-size spare. The space saver is a disappointment. I also thought b/c of the AWD and the differentials that the differences in size change the gearing and overworks the differentials...or so I thought. :roll:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, the cheater spare is only rated for 50 MPH, so I'm guessing at that speed, the difference in rotational speed between the spare and the standard tire won't be working the diff any harder than driving around a moderate turn.

J.B.
WRXtra

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
That's true jb. I guess I'm just paranoid b/c I want "my baby" to last. :D

tisbe, if you throw a full-size in there you wouldn't have room for anything else!!!!!! It is a thought though.

Another idea is to have the emergency inflation kits ready, but I've heard that its not good for the time. You know the green slime that fills holes, etc. The way I see it if you get a hole in your tire you can "slime" your tire and then fill it using your 12volt outlet and a auto-compressor. Then instead of plugging the tire just buy a new one since plugged tired aren't that safe.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 2 biggest problems with the slime are that, while it does patch the tire, it can also make a green mess all over your rim which is a pain to get off and it ruins the tire. I've talked to some time places that will not accept a "slimed" tire under road hazzard coverage.

J.B.
WRXtra

·
Registered
541 Posts
You could just go with run-flats and no spare. That's what they've got on most of the high-end cars like the 911 GT2 & probably most Ferraris.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What brand of run-flats? I just went to tirerack.com and the ones they have available won't fit the WRX...none of them are 16's

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Yeah, my wife and I threw around the idea of a Mini S while here in Germany since they are about 3-4K cheaper than the states. The S has run-flats. In a smaller size there are no good high performance run-flats. And they are expensive and heavy! NO THANKS!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts