IW STi Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
Stock turbo 350? See it in print these days.

Stock cars w a DP get near 300. Isnt Flex worth near 30% ? Is that a goodnumber? 30%(90hp)-24%(21.6)=68.6. Fully supported on E85. Is it impossible?

XTR, Blouch says up to 480 BHP. That Matches with fully supported cars on pump coming out under 400AWHP.

30% increase from 480 gives (480+144) x 0.76 = 474.

550 sounds highly unlikely. I

I have considered adding flex to my car. It will cost over $2k. Im really happy with my car And it is aging. 56k on the built motor un an 05 body with over 250k. starting to think about the next car. If its another STI it will be a high power car with flex right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went to Mexico this weekend and I believe it makes all of power 511whp/436wtq. I dunno what to say Bren must know witchcraft. I’ll update you next spring with a trap speed and 1/4 mile time.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Right, I run a Radium surge tank with a 450lph inside. You could easily do an in-tank though, if you're no tracking the car hard and worried about slosh. The need for a larger pump isn't a result of going rotated though, it's a result of more power.

Right, but the argument is that if you go rotated from the get-go it isn't that much more expensive. The Perrin rotated kit (which I would recommend against anyway) includes up-pipe, downpipe, intake, etc. So if you compare to their non-rotated stuff:

Up-pipe - $250
Intake - $215 (+ $270 if you get their inlet, which you'll want for an upgraded turbo)
Downpipe - $350 (I don't think they offer this anymore, but that's the typical price)

You're already over $1,000 and you're going to pay at least $250 more for an equivalent stock location turbo vs rotated, so again you're going to save yourself less than a grand.

If you already have all the non-rotated supporting mods there's less incentive and more cost to go rotated, but even then it's not THAT much more expensive. Assuming similar power levels and supporting mods of course. There are cheaper ways than going with one of the kits too, I am using a stock location up-pipe still, for example. The adapter was $125.

In the end everyone has to do what makes sense for them, it is just unfortunate when everyone assumes going rotated will cost them an arm and a leg more when in reality, if you do it right, it won't cost much more for an equivalent rotated setup that gives you a lot more potential down the road.
If you're rotated, why a teeny tiny 1.5 turbo? 2.5 or way freaking bigger with a 30.5 cm hot side I can understand.
FMIC from a Cummins diesel, and a foot of hot side. That will get you to the other side of the parking lot really fast!

61 - 63 of 63 Posts