IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I also want to hit 400's this late spring or summer. I think my block and heads are ready for it. Forged bottom end with refreshed heads, 3 angle valve job and GSC springs and retainers. I only need the fuel system figured out and what turbo I want to run. The Blouch Dom seems to be extremely popular with us, but is there anything else out there that is comparable? One thing though: Can I hit the 400's with a stock location turbo AND a larger top mount?

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
I also want to hit 400's this late spring or summer. I think my block and heads are ready for it. Forged bottom end with refreshed heads, 3 angle valve job and GSC springs and retainers. I only need the fuel system figured out and what turbo I want to run. The Blouch Dom seems to be extremely popular with us, but is there anything else out there that is comparable? One thing though: Can I hit the 400's with a stock location turbo AND a larger top mount?
You don't mention fuel. I will be stock location 1.5XT-R, fully supported. If I get 375 I will be happy - very happy. If you expect over 4 on pump go bigger. It can be done on a top mount. I very much wanted to go rotated GTX3071 (or bigger) top mount Water to Air. I think it would have been awesome, but I opted to stay closer to my planned budget.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Omg the misinformation is incredible....I just can't help myself.

I refuse to believe that dynos are that far off of calibration. I'm at sea level, and have a tuner that consistently gets 350-360whp from a Dom 1.5 10cm 93pump. If you are getting 400+ your knocking like crazy, because you run out of octane before you make that power.

the only way you make consistent safe 450whp on pump is by rotating and going larger turbo.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Last week I was tuned to 350hp/330ft/lbs on pump with the 1.5xtr 10cm housing on a mustang dyno. If I can remember it was 20psi; stock headers, grimmspeed tmic, ks tech 73mm intake, perrin inlet,dw65c fp, tial 38mm wastegate, gs upipe,invidia catless dp, aeromotive fuel rails,lines,fpr, borla exhaust. I told him to go sort of conservative as i'm on the stock shortblock(i couldn't make it to see him tune it) but so far she's running great. Can't wait to see what happens when I finally get my hands on some e85. It's still shitty e70ish where i'm at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running the 8cm hotside, tuned on a dyno dynamics. It made 321hp on 91 and 363hp on e85. Supporting mods are id1000s, walbro 255, grimspeed MBC, perrin turbo inlet, perrin fmic, short ram intake, and invidia n1 tbe. Just my results...

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Sounds like some of you guys running the Dom 1.5 still have the TGV's. There is a little more power to be had by removing them especially when your turbo is trying to make power up top.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'm running the 8cm hotside, tuned on a dyno dynamics. It made 321hp on 91 and 363hp on e85. Supporting mods are id1000s, walbro 255, grimspeed MBC, perrin turbo inlet, perrin fmic, short ram intake, and invidia n1 tbe. Just my results...
This was on Harvey's dyno, right? Are you on stock motor? Those seem like pretty low numbers unless you're trying to keep a stock block together. I've seen the 1.5 hover around 390-400 on E85 with a built motor.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Im running the 3" inlet 8cm 1.5 XTR on a built bottom end with Cobb TBE, ID1000s, TGV Deletes, Cobb Intake, DW300 pump, Killer B header, IAG AOS, Cobb EBCS, ETS TMIC, Air Pump Delete, Mishimoto X Line Radiator and hoses, Perrin 3" inlet, Cobb Crank Pulley, Cobb Heat Shield, PTP Lava turbo Blanket, a Synapse BPV and a few other things I'm sure I'm leaving off. I also run E85.

Ohio DynoDynamics (biggest heart breaker dyno)
333 Pump / 380 E85

Houston Dynos:
Mustang
385/395 whp/tq E85

DynoDynamics
395/385

DynoJet
412/472

Its all relative.

I know a friend who just had his built and finished on the same dyno in Ohio. He is running the same as me but with: 10cm housing, ETS FMIC, FPR, Surge Tank with Walbro 450, ID1300s, Rails, Fuel Filter, but other than the fueling and ETS FMIC, nearly same set up as I have. He put down 360 on pump and 415 on E85 on the heartbreaker dyno. That is the max out of a DOM 1.5 in my opinion. ON another dyno that could easily be 410 pump and 485 E85. Just depends on the dyno.

But the Dom 1.5 was not built for top end power. It was built for response and spool. On E85 - I'm at full 22 PSI of boost by 3300-3600 RPMs which for a street car is what you want.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
93 octane on a Mustang Dyno with the Killer B headers and full bolt ons will yield about 380. It's 10whp for every psi of boost so the Dom 1.5 drops off efficiency after about 24-25psi so 400whp is quite doable.

Get the 10cm housing, Killer B header makes it spool very nicely, it keeps EGT's down a bit.

Also consider at the very least a full driveline bushing upgrade from motor, transmission mounts, pitch stop etc all the way back to the rear diff. The extra power will need this upgrade or you might start to risk breaking things.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Also consider at the very least a full driveline bushing upgrade from motor, transmission mounts, pitch stop etc all the way back to the rear diff. The extra power will need this upgrade or you might start to risk breaking things.
Curious why you mention breakage for higher HP builds? I'm not a fan of more vibration on my daily driver, but am pursuing another 100 HP...at least hoping. I've added Group N engine mounts and even that is too much (they are coming off). Thanks.

Good thread...

I have a 1.5 as well, but still uninstalled. I will not be using an aftermarket header, but did elect to use Cosworth heads. I'm hoping to maximize the powerband's width.

400 WHP seems like a pretty high mark to reach...looking forward to the results!

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
93 octane on a Mustang Dyno with the Killer B headers and full bolt ons will yield about 380. It's 10whp for every psi of boost so the Dom 1.5 drops off efficiency after about 24-25psi so 400whp is quite doable.

Get the 10cm housing, Killer B header makes it spool very nicely, it keeps EGT's down a bit..
What are you trying to say here?
10whp/psi is linear.
"Dom 1.5 drops off efficiency after about 24-25psi" is not linear

Best I can come up with is that a 1.5XT could do 400 at over 40psi since 10whp/psi and add more for the loos in efficiency.

Nah. that doesn't work at all. 360 is normally at something near 22psi no?

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
What are you trying to say here?
10whp/psi is linear.
"Dom 1.5 drops off efficiency after about 24-25psi" is not linear

Best I can come up with is that a 1.5XT could do 400 at over 40psi since 10whp/psi and add more for the loos in efficiency.

Nah. that doesn't work at all. 360 is normally at something near 22psi no?
It's not linear, it's just an approximation. 377 @ 21.6psi is quite possible on a heartbreaker dyno using good ELH like the Killer B. There are another 4psi there so exceeding 400whp especially with a good set of ELH like the Killer B and a moderately aggressive tune is quite possible. PM me with your email.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure if this has been asked yet but could you run the dom 1.5xtr with a completely stock block and have it be decently reliable? I was thinking about dropping in some pistons but i would be happy wiht 350 WHP on pump and whatever i could get outa e85. Really just want more topend that the stock turbo cant give.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think many have used the 1.5 on a stock engine. I will be doing it for my first update...not sure about the HP...others can chime in.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You can but I don't think you could max out its potential - the block could handle it but I would put it at a matter of WhEN rather than if you were going to see problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can but I don't think you could max out its potential - the block could handle it but I would put it at a matter of WhEN rather than if you were going to see problems.
Do you think that drop in pistons would help make a difference? I know there are other issues with going with forged pistons but would they be worth the time and money?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think so - look at Bucky laseks DD build on Cobbs website. He's running a minor 1.5 build and only has drop in Pistons on the motor. I think that would work out and you could see good numbers - maybe not max out potential but it would hold up very well over a stock block

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think so - look at Bucky laseks DD build on Cobbs website. He's running a minor 1.5 build and only has drop in Pistons on the motor. I think that would work out and you could see good numbers - maybe not max out potential but it would hold up very well over a stock block
Yeah i would like to do a build like Buckys. Do drop in pistons need to be balanced or blueprinted?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts