IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious if it is possible to get a fuel pump that is so big to the point where it can cause harm/problems.

Reason I am asking is that I plan to run E85 in the future and have my fuel tank out. Mind as well upgrade the pump now, right?. Looking at a Walbro 485, but will be running a basic stage 2 setup until later when I go rotated + E85.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yeah for a basic stage 2 a walbro 485 is overkill but wont hurt anything. I take it since your going for such a large pump that your not doing a double pump/surge tank set up. If you plan on doing one large pump for the car then something like the 485 should be ok on a rotated turbo E-85 build. Fuel pumps like that should be hardwired in.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
end goal is a EFR 7163 on E85. Car is going to be a weekend street monster. Not really into tracking or anything. Only actual racing done is maybe a handful of passes at the local drag strip per year. Im speculating this would be around 500whp. Not really sure if a surge tank is a necessity based on type of racing or just the pure need of more fuel to support the setup... if i did run the mentioned pump above, would i actually need to hard wire it for the stage 2 setup, or can I wait until the pump is actually being tasked.

Im pretty noob when it comes to fueling beyond injectors and drop in pumps. I'll see what i can dig up on my own as well.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
The fuel line is regulated, so more flow or pressure from the pump won't do anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It could "possibly" overrun the OEM regulator with a pump that large, especially if you take the pump controller out of the equation with a hard wire.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
It could "possibly" overrun the OEM regulator with a pump that large, especially if you take the pump controller out of the equation with a hard wire.
That would be mighty hard to do.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Has anybody ever heard of an OEM regulator being forced into failure from an oversized pump?

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you'd need an insane pump to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the Fuel Pro unit from the people who make the DCCD Pro? Can't find much on that.
https://www.dccdpro.com/product/fuelpro/

From what I have gathered i have 2 options if i want to run a single in tank pump.

1) Hardwire the pump and add an aftermarket FPR
2) Install FuelPro and i think thats it...?

any of these options better than the other? should i add a FPR regardless?

·
Registered
134 Posts
FPR with a hard wired pump, I'm not too big on the idea of piggyback controllers especially when just a regular hardwire will be all you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts