IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most fuel-efficient way to shift in a WRX? I know if I rev the engine too high, that burns gas faster...but then I'm told if I'm in too high of a gear for the speed I'm going, that burns gas faster as well...I've tried sticking to the manual...it suggests for best performance/fuel efficiency balance:

1st to 2nd @15 mph
2nd to 3rd @25 mph
3rd to 4th @40 mph
4th to 5th @45 mph

basically, what's the most fuel-efficient engine speed range? Do you agree with what's said in the manual or could I do better? I generally average 19.5 mpg city...I guess they must round that up to 20...

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told something about not enough torque at lower revs...two different people told me this. *shrugs*

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well, that would be dogging on the engine by having it in too high of a gear. It's not that the engine wouldn't be burning the amount of gas the engine is asking for at that RPM, but you wouldn't get moving as fast being in the wrong gear, which takes longer....which defeats the purpose.

I dunno....I'd shoot for the middle of the road. I try to cruise aroudd 3200 in the Celica when possible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My best mileage has been when I've used my ears listiening for the turbo to start spooling, and my eyes watching the boost guage. Basically by staying out of the turbo completely by shifting when I heard the "whine" or saw the guage twitch (not just staying away from full spool) I've gotten 26 mpg. That was totally babying it and not worried about others having to slow down behind me (all highway by the way).

Of course, that isn't how I normally drive it, but I had the time that day and I was curious.

Regards,
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts