IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened to me yesterday for the first time. It was 9F {-7 windchill} outside and I look down to see a CEL and flashing cruise. I hit the recall on the turbo gauge and it had hit 18.0 psi.

I have decided to take a small road trip in the next few weeks. I am going to have my wastegate ported, and XEDE installed. I am also DYNO tuning the vehicle.

I look forward to more HP and no creep.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hummer said:
It happened to me yesterday for the first time. It was 9F {-7 windchill} outside and I look down to see a CEL and flashing cruise.
I got the TurboXS stealth-back (kept stock muffler) in an effort to gain power but still supress "creep" (as it had been suggested to me would work).

But, mere minutes ago I hit fuel cut due to boost creep, too.

Same weather conditions (very cold) and I was running hard in 5th gear around 120MPH.

--UPDATE--
I hadn't reset my ECU after by TBE install. So, I went out today (50 degrees F). I ran hard all the way up to about 135-NO CREEP! It was either the ECU not being reset or the extreme cold. Moral of the story: W/ the TXS stealthback, operating during reasonable outside temperatures, boost creep is not an issue.

Hummer, what gear and RPM level were you at?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stikya said:
Warning: I got the TurboXS stealth-back (kept stock muffler) in an effort to gain power but still supress "creep" (as it had been suggested to me would work).

But, mere minutes ago I hit fuel cut due to boost creep, too.

Same weather conditions (very cold) and I was running hard in the upper end of 5th gear around 120MPH.

Hummer, what gear and RPM level were you at?
I was in 4th around 6000 RPM. It spiked when I was shifting to fifth.

BTW...I had another CEL today and I know it was not boost creep. My max boost was under 14 psi. I had the code read {PO171} and it was a vacum line that popped off the intake manifold. I imagine that happened when I spiked at 18 psi yesterday. Two little zip ties and it is fine again.

I have to be cautious with extreme cold weather until the porting of the waste gate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hummer said:
I was in 4th around 6000 RPM. It spiked when I was shifting to fifth.

BTW...I had another CEL today and I know it was not boost creep. My max boost was under 14 psi. I had the code read {PO171} and it was a vacum line that popped off the intake manifold. I imagine that happened when I spiked at 18 psi yesterday.
{EDIT}
Thanks for the info.

Luckily, I don't experience it anymore-at least not of concern.

I remembered I hadn't reset my ECU after the stealth-back install. I did and the creep went away! I've run hard all the way to 130MPH and no creep.

I also added the SBC-id boost controller (this weekend). Once set, the highest I ever boosted was 15.6 in 6th. I can live w/ that.

So, it appears if you go get certain stealthbacks and keep your stock muffler you can avoid creep. I'm sure the boost controller helps too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
rjhang said:
A stupid question - what happens when you hit a fuel cut? Does the engine die?
No, the fuel supply cuts out for a second to slow the car down.

It feels very "jerky", like running out of gas, but it subsides immediately when you let off the gas and slow down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same thing happened here. I had just put my stock BOV back on and was testing. taking a few logs, I have them if anyone caree to view. I am hitting over 17 psi in all gears until i went into 5th and then 18.4 fuel cut and ecu started blinking. I reset it and havent drivin it hard since. I have the logs of this if anyone that knows something wants to investigate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am going to put my RFL BOV back on and see if I get the smae thing. I am thinking I wont, because i have been running it that way since i got it, I just decided to go back because everyone was saying better fuel mileage. Ill let you know what i find.

·
Registered
112 Posts
yea, gotta port that wastegate
i am going to port mine this thursday
hopefully everything goes well so i can full throttle feeling safe

·
Registered
219 Posts
ksikyat2000 said:
What kind of powergains are you guys getting with the stealthback? Do you guys notice a big difference?
Estimated low-mid 20's whp (based on the fact that full TBEs are netting 28-33).

Yes, you can definitely tell the difference. Plus, you run sooo much cooler (high flow downpipe)-engine bay heatsoak (especially on the IC) is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ksikyat2000 said:
Stikya is that with the high flow cat or the racepipe? How much power do you guys think the god speed DP gives?
I have the high flow cat. (potential $1,500 ticket & Federal offense isn't worth it for a couple horsepower to me).

IMO: The godspeed DP is probably the best, proven catless value on the market; you can expect 25-28whp from that dp.

I chose the TXS because I wanted a cat. & I got a good deal from a guy I know. Plus, w/ TXS (after I get engine management) I will only need a muffler ($300) not an entire cat-back ($600) to be full TBE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts