IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else experience a 'clunk' in the front end over severe bumps sometimes? I only seem to get it when turning, and you can feel it in the steering column. Very sharp, no rattle, just feels like someone hit the steering column with a hammer.

Anyone else have that? I haven't checked the bearings...there are reports of people having the wheel bearings replaced within 1500 miles.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
nope, no huge bangs out of my car. I assume you checked all the logical stuff with no findings (i.e. lug nuts, ball joints, etc)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The only time I have had a hard clunk like that is when I hit a hard bump in the road and the whole car seems to feel it. I just wrote this off to stiff suspension.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah....I need to get the front end off the ground and start pulling and smacking with a mallet. Something doesn't feel right. Most of the time it's fine...very solid, but the sound/feel is unsettling.

·
Registered
759 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Yeah....I need to get the front end off the ground and start pulling and smacking with a mallet. Something doesn't feel right. Most of the time it's fine...very solid, but the sound/feel is unsettling.
No clunking here either. I got a 5 pound mini sledge that you can borrow. :p

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Winter Rims and rubber

HA....naw...I'd know about that one for sure!

I had to go back by the Window tint place the other day where I lost the bushing...they found it. The sucker just came right out.

Off Topic, but Auto Glass and Tint is ordering me a new clear bra hood piece....those damn bubbles never did come out. grrrr

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I specifically pointed out the bubbles when I picked the car up. I asked twice if they would in fact completely disappear. "Oh yeah, they'll cook out in the sun. Give it two weeks."

Yup....4 weeks later and now instead of the bubbles being liquid and flowing, they are hard and dried....a nice little bubble matrix of glue. GRRRRR

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I had a couple but my guy told me to keep an eye on them and press on them every so often. I would just press on them whenever I took the car out and they dried out nicely, no bubble.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My STI's black and has bubbles all over the hood - my bra was installed 3 weeks exactly tomorrow. I was really hoping they'd go away over time but am now thinking maybe not. I also have a few specks of dirt or something trapped under the bra on my hood that are driving me nuts. You can't really see them unless it's in the sun, but it makes cleaning and shining it up VERY aggravating. I was thinking of a "redo" by the guy in NJ (is it Lee?). Hispanics - did Lee do yours???

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
The bubbles should be gone after a few days, especailly on a black car during the summer. I'll tell you one thing aboug a redo, be prepared. My guy redid mine because he was not happy how it came out and it was the first WRX/STi he did. Anyway he told me he had a hard time getting the old adhesive off. The result... swirls. With the new film on and after a couple waxes they are not visible. I would be real nervouse having a black car redone. I had maybe a couple bubbles that dried up ok and NO dirt. What made mine look bad was the stretch marks. You sure this guys knows what he is doing if there are a lot of bubbles and dirt? There might be a way to fix the bubbles without removing the film using a syringe, not sure.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey MKIV - thx for the info. NO - I'm not real sure my guy knew what he was doing all that well TBH. He said that he usually does about 12cars/year, but this was his 1st STi. I watched him do it and man - sure looked like a PITA. I was actually thinking if I got mine redone that I'd remove the film on my own and clean it with something like a Zaino HD Cleanse (which will remove anything down to the paint from everything I've heard) before I bring it in. My problem was I'm in CT and the only two installers Chad knew of that were accessible were 1hr away or 3+hrs away. I opted for the lesser drive (ARGH!) Yeah - I'm rife w/stretch marks (um....wait a minute - that didn't come out right) - was actually hoping those would "dry up" but guess not. The particles/dirt are really driving me nuts though - everytime I walk by I want to wipe them off....but I can't. I brought a chamois w/me and was trying to clean it as best I could without being intrusive.....NOW what to do...... :cry:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Boy did this thread get off topic.

I haven't noticed any clunking in the front of my car other than at slow speed while turning full lock. I attribute this to the front limited slip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Back on track.

I have noticed the occasional clunk in the front end somewhere. It seems to happen when I hit some bumps coming out of a corner under power.
Other than that I never hear anything over speed bumps etc.

I thought it might be the differential trying to do its job when there is a slight loss of traction from one wheel over the bumps. ???

·
Registered
391 Posts
Stubrown, Yes Lee did my install. I have no complaints yet because I have only two weeks with it. I am going to leave it alone which ever way it turns out because of what MK supra said. I can live with the stretch marks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting comments Motorhead. Mine is very similar to that. When taking potholes or what not straight on, I get nothing. But when I hit a bump/hole with any kind of speed over say 5 MPH, I hear it.

I'm still planning on getting under the car and checking things here sometime. I hit a hole pretty hard yesterday (this one was head on) and something really rattled under the front. Almost sounded like the rear sway bar when I lost that bushing.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
From the sounds of it Clone, it might be normal. My old Legacy did it from day one up untill I sold it 80k miles later. I searched a lot of forums and based on what I read, came to the conclusion it was normal. If it is very severe then I would maybe be worried, otherwise take it to the dealer and see what they tell you. I might just be used to it, but I have not really noticed it on my STi. I keep meaning to pay attention more to see if I notice it since I read this but keep forgetting.

As far as the clear bra. My guy did do a good job of keeping things clean. Even with the re-do there are still some stretch marks but not as bad. You can only see them under certain lighting. I don't think you can really avoid them totally, especially with some of the curves you have to deal with on the STi. I just look at it this way, a few stretch marks won't look as bad as a lot of stone chips. I remember my guy telling me how he can remove stubborn bubbles with a needle. That was why I was thinking you might be able to fix them but if it has been a while you might need to inject some water or solution into them to make them restick.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I returned to the shop to show them the problem, he tried the needle trick. It's too dried out now for that to help. I pointed them out the first time for that very reason....to get the liquid out then. But NOOOOO, they had to be lazy and leave the giant bubbles there. Ignorant people. The sad part.....most people probably would have left the bubbles in there.

I know when I installed the clear bra on my wife's car, I made sure to get any bubbles out ASAP. And yeah, it is as easy as a needle prick.

TBH, going back on topic, the cluck isn't that bad. I'm just curious what it is. Most things shouldn't make a sound like that, but if I could put a cause with the sound, I'm sure it will be ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts