IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 04 STI and am needing some front brake rotors replaced. I found a good place locally that services pretty much nothing but subarus. I have already got the rear brakes done along with some other services.
This is the majority of the last invoice is below

4655S-10 DBA 4000 Series 10 Stud Hole T-Slot Slotted Rear Brake Rotor Fits Subaru WRX STI 2004-2007 EJ257 DBA 4000 Series Slotted Rear Brake Rotor Fits Subaru WRX STI 2004-2007 EJ257
2 x $159.00$318.00
DB1521SP DBA 03-06 EVO / 04-09 STi / 03-07 350Z Track Edition/G35 w/ Brembo SP500 Rear Brake Pads
1 x $110.00$110.00
Labor
1 x $350.00$350.00

I asked about the fronts and the total would be 810.00 for the matching DBAs with labor. The labor may seem high on the previous invoice because I had my AC unit worked on as well. I haven’t received the itemized list yet.

Is this a reasonable price or am I being ripped off?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,096 Posts
Labor is high, but that's how they get paid. They likely aren't making much on the rotors or pads, if anything at all.

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but rotors and pads on these cars aren't difficult at all. I've done numerous pads on my 06 STI all while living in a small apartment complex and have done rotors and pads on other cars and I only recently got an impact wrench...everything else was just hand tools, car jack and some muscle.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but rotors and pads on these cars aren't difficult at all.
They can be a nightmare, and you won't know till you try. Search for how many of us have had caliper bolt issues. In fact it is recommended that anyone doing STI brakes be prepared to install Helicoils or Timeserts. This means having the parts and tools on hand, or having the car off the road till you do and deal with it. That said a competent home mechanic can find plenty of info and have the parts and tool on hand.

Then, whatever you do, don't over-torque them. Reccommend to have a torque wrench or at least be aware that the issue is making them to tight, not to loose . . .

Oh, price doesn't seem so out of line to me. They probably put a bit extra in in case they end up doing the above - and DBA4000s are decent rotors and not inexpensive. I'd go where you trust over a bit of money . . .

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I had DBA 4000 rotors & GLOC GS1 pads installed on my 19' STI last month. But I had a local subaru performance install them for me. So far very impressed with the DBA & GLOC combo.

·
Super Moderator
8,096 Posts
They can be a nightmare, and you won't know till you try. Search for how many of us have had caliper bolt issues. In fact it is recommended that anyone doing STI brakes be prepared to install Helicoils or Timeserts. This means having the parts and tools on hand, or having the car off the road till you do and deal with it. That said a competent home mechanic can find plenty of info and have the parts and tool on hand.

Then, whatever you do, don't over-torque them. Reccommend to have a torque wrench or at least be aware that the issue is making them to tight, not to loose . . .

Oh, price doesn't seem so out of line to me. They probably put a bit extra in in case they end up doing the above - and DBA4000s are decent rotors and not inexpensive. I'd go where you trust over a bit of money . . .
As someone who had only started to wrench on cars after getting my STI back in 06 and was somewhat terrified to mess with the braking system, I found rotors and pads to be simple to replace on these cars. Granted, I didn't live where it snowed or dealt with rust so a seized bolt wasn't common but dealing with a standard bolt and camber bolt along with torque specs and such I didn't find any of it complicated. And I did it all in my apartment complex or a friend's house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts