IW STi Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
insane, i wonder how many of these compilations we could make here in North America if we adopted the dash cam culture.
While i'm sure we'd have enough content to make some videos, I'd stake my reputation that we'd never make as many videos as fast as the russians, and the accidents would be more timid. About half of the russian incidents that I watch, I can see someone being a total fucking idiot before any crash happens. People being way to impatient leaving no gap ahead of them, or people driving way too fast for conditions, and people driving through red lights. I don't know what the deal is, but I'm glad I don't have to drive there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
While i'm sure we'd have enough content to make some videos, I'd stake my reputation that we'd never make as many videos as fast as the russians, and the accidents would be more timid. About half of the russian incidents that I watch, I can see someone being a total fucking idiot before any crash happens. People being way to impatient leaving no gap ahead of them, or people driving way too fast for conditions, and people driving through red lights. I don't know what the deal is, but I'm glad I don't have to drive there.

Having lived there for a while and living in North America i can tell you the drivers there are a lot more aggressive. The flow of traffic there is quite heavy and if you think you can "slouch" along you are dead wrong. People who impede traffic situations there get picked on, there is also an "optional" insurance policy. People in North America are very "careful" and scared of the police force and their insurance premiums going up, over there a police officer is another human being and hes not "above the law" like Canada and America. The camera footage catches all of the non-normal scenarios but that's why people but dashcams because over there(Russian,Moldova,Ukraine,Slovakia,Hungary,Lituania,etc) money talks and you can buy your way out of accidents and etc.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Why Almost Everyone in Russia Has a Dash Cam | WIRED
Why Russian Drivers Have Dash Cams - Business Insider

TL;DR summary:
(disclaimer, US Citizen who has never been east of the UK)

Traffic police are corrupt.
Insurance difficult to get to pay claims on.
He-said, she-said rampant.
Legal system issues.
They NEED dash cams. (Item 1 - Prevalence of dashcams)

Poor State of Roads
Poor State of Vehicles (I imagine inspection is a joke there)
Fatalities versus US: 2x per capita. 12x per vehicle.
Traffic police are ineffective (lack of effective policing) contributing to lack of discipline / safe driving habits amongst drivers (Item 2 - Prevalence of accidents)

We couldn't recreate this if we tried. Ok, we could if tried hard enough but we certainly wouldn't want to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pretty much the same thing i said, but to break it down. Total opposite sides of the spectrum both have their ups and downs.

North America
- Mandatory insurance = Paranoid driving
- Tickets = insurance premium increase
- Accident = insurance premium increase
- Vehicle certification(DOT inspection) = mandatory
- Traffic stop = be super polite (paranoid/kiss ass?)

"Eur-Asia"
- Optional insurance ( Drive how you want)
- Tickets = nothing
- Accident = deal with it
- Vehicle certification ? what is that...
- Traffic stop = maybe don't even stop... :rofl:

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Great thread! Suprised I've never seen it. I watch Russian crash vids and fail comps all the time on you tube. It's a great drinking game too, you drink when you hear the word souka

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yea do you carry extra undies with you when going from point a to point b?

Pretty crazy stuff but really if we were required to have dash cams here in the US we would have just as many vids.....I'm actually amazed it hasn't been on the table yet (that I know of) to require them here as much fraud that we have...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea do you carry extra undies with you when going from point a to point b?

Pretty crazy stuff but really if we were required to have dash cams here in the US we would have just as many vids.....I'm actually amazed it hasn't been on the table yet (that I know of) to require them here as much fraud that we have...
sorry, my english is bad. i don't understand you))) please use easy words

61 - 78 of 78 Posts