IW STi Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Wow. Thankful to God that you and your family are safe though. Cars are replaceable, we aren’t. Still hard to see though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Holy cow. Really sorry to hear this my friend. Such a beautiful machine. So very happy to hear that you and your family are alive and safe - this is what matters most after all.
I know this is an incredibly trying and exhausting ordeal, and no words I can offer will alleviate that; so I simply hope you are able to come to terms with the event peacefully and swiftly.
Thank you brother. Definitely hard to be on the road, I was paranoid today running errands turning my head like an owl. I rescued my wheels and accessories off the car before insurance adjusters get to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow that absolutely sucks. Good thing you and your family are ok. Sorry to see this happened, you took extremely good care of this car.

Question, did the revised PCV start in the 2020 year?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Wow that absolutely sucks. Good thing you and your family are ok. Sorry to see this happened, you took extremely good care of this car.

Question, did the revised PCV start in the 2020 year?
No. It’s in the 19 as well. I think 17 and later actually. I noticed an improvement from my 2015 to my 2019. Early on I was getting traces of oil in my intercooler on the 2015. My 2019 was dry at 8k miles and being at stage 2. I still added the IAG AOS for protection, especially as I track it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
No. It’s in the 19 as well. I think 17 and later actually. I noticed an improvement from my 2015 to my 2019. Early on I was getting traces of oil in my intercooler on the 2015. My 2019 was dry at 8k miles and being at stage 2. I still added the IAG AOS for protection, especially as I track it.
Cool, now I'm tempted to get an older manual and see what the difference is. I think EightTenths was coming from a 17' STI so I don't think it had the revised PCV on that model year, as he was seeing how the new 2020 system compared to his 17' on the UOA from Dyson. Maybe it is from the 2018 Type RA and up they made the change.

Another question EightTenths; after your primemotoring dyno runs, you said your plan was driving the car until the TGV and/or turbo inlet leaks.... are those common problems? Would you have gone TGV delete before the pro-tune?

I still like the fact you kept the stock catback... I don't hear many people talk about the upgraded stock catback systems on the 2018 Type RA+.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Cool, now I'm tempted to get an older manual and see what the difference is. I think EightTenths was coming from a 17' STI so I don't think it had the revised PCV on that model year, as he was seeing how the new 2020 system compared to his 17' on the UOA from Dyson. Maybe it is from the 2018 Type RA and up they made the change.

Another question EightTenths; after your primemotoring dyno runs, you said your plan was driving the car until the TGV and/or turbo inlet leaks.... are those common problems? Would you have gone TGV delete before the pro-tune?

I still like the fact you kept the stock catback... I don't hear many people talk about the upgraded stock catback systems on the 2018 Type RA+.
TGV and turbo inlet are prone to leak at 15k miles if the car is boosted higher. TGV delete is a feature we need a protuner to check the box on COBB’s software. I kept the stock catback mainly to limit drone.

Prime told me 2019+ PCV system was improved although I don’t know the specifics. What I do know is based on my 2017, over fueling or running rich was set up once I upgraded the turbo to FP Blue. It could be a safety net JRtuned wanted to put in to control detonation and cylinder temps. But once over fueling was in place I started to see an increase in metal wear. When the 2017 was on the stock turbo and running E85 tune, tuner reduced over fueling and that’s a period I saw ideal metal wear in UOA.

On the 2020, the OTS stage 2 runs rich. And right away UOA showed increased wear and I had to lower my oil change interval to 3k miles. So the short answer is if you are running a rich tune, change the oil every 3k and use a good 5w40 like the Renewable Lubricants Dyson recommends. In his customer database it has beaten every 5w40 out there including 300V.

My 2020 STI was totaled by the other insurance company today. They have yet to determine replacement value. My local Subaru dealer has a Series.White incoming and are accepting bids at msrp or higher. I feel apathetic towards it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TGV and turbo inlet are prone to leak at 15k miles if the car is boosted higher. TGV delete is a feature we need a protuner to check the box on COBB’s software. I kept the stock catback mainly to limit drone.

Prime told me 2019+ PCV system was improved although I don’t know the specifics. What I do know is based on my 2017, over fueling or running rich was set up once I upgraded the turbo to FP Blue. It could be a safety net JRtuned wanted to put in to control detonation and cylinder temps. But once over fueling was in place I started to see an increase in metal wear. When the 2017 was on the stock turbo and running E85 tune, tuner reduced over fueling and that’s a period I saw ideal metal wear in UOA.

On the 2020, the OTS stage 2 runs rich. And right away UOA showed increased wear and I had to lower my oil change interval to 3k miles. So the short answer is if you are running a rich tune, change the oil every 3k and use a good 5w40 like the Renewable Lubricants Dyson recommends. In his customer database it has beaten every 5w40 out there including 300V.

My 2020 STI was totaled by the other insurance company today. They have yet to determine replacement value. My local Subaru dealer has a Series.White incoming and are accepting bids at msrp or higher. I feel apathetic towards it.
Appreciate the reply man. Good information. I plan to re-route the PCV system and run a catch can.

From what I understand the Stage 2 OTS Cobb tune pulls fuel from the high load area in the open loop maps and ups the boost a bit. I would assume you would see the same metal wear with the stock tune or at least similar, unless the slight increase in boost has more to do with it. The only other difference is maybe some tweaking to the AVCS? Unsure about the AVCS, but I will find out soon when I compare the OTS maps to my stock tune. You also did the first UOA at such low miles right after break-in. I would have liked to see what it showed after a few more UOAs on the OTS S2 tune.

They do run these engines rich which is why the 3k OCI is recommended pretty much. I was told to use good oil and 3k changes before I even bought the car. I haven't seen much on Renewable Lubricants, but I know Dyson knows his stuff and has worked with quite a few of these engines in his analysis.

I was also hit from behind while I was sitting at a light. I had only around 250 miles on the car! People texting and driving. It was very minor scrapes on the rear bumper, and as it turns out, getting them to match a pearl white bumper.... not happening. Barely matches from factory. I was caring for the car like it was a baby. Now I'm more inclined to care less, although I still take care of it. It's only a car after all.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts