IW STi Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Speaker upgrades round #2. Ordered the Kicker 44KSC6504 from Crutchfield. I’m hoping replacing just the front doors will be sufficient and save me the hassle and money of buying the OEM Kicker speaker set. The only way the speaker can mount onto the adapter bracket and clear the door opening is with the logo upside down. The bracket and mount holes are asymmetric. 60 day return guarantee. Let’s see.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Well I’m pulling out the aftermarket Kickers. Midrange clarity and sound stage improved but bass diminished by a very noticeable amount. Even playing with the EQ didn’t do it for me. The bass can be increased by the frequency just isn’t there. I’m surprised given how much bigger the magnet is. I don’t want to change the HU or add a sub so now I know. The stock speakers give plenty of bass and the best bang for the buck is to swap out the stock dash speakers for the drop in OEM Kickers. Adds clarity and the combination based on simplicity and budget makes it the sweet spot.

I washed my car and dry it with a leaf blower plus towels. Looky here....

My instinct is to never drill a stock panel and this close up proves that in doors and trunk moisture always get in. And secondly the factory paint covers everything, even hole edges . All the aftermarket rear door speakers available on Crutchfield require redrilling to mount their brackets. So keep the OEM 4 speaker Kicker set in mind for the best fit and insurance against rust.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Own audio plus has a nice system upgrade for our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Your welcome. Looking at it for mine too

I just got off the phone with a Crutchfield product advisor. He was very transparent and said the factory speakers take very little power to make them move. The Kicker KSC6504 have more capability for more bass and more clarity but require an amp to get the power it needs. I’m not there yet and there’s the issue with the rattling door cards. So I’m going to be grateful that I have a new car with nice tweeter upgrade and enjoy the STI as God intended... 5000 rpms with the radio off

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Pull the first oil sample after 1450 miles. Ready to ship to Dyson for analysis. I’m looking forward to comparing how the revised PCV in the 2020 and RLI 5W40 handles blow-by versus the 2017 with an iAG street AOS.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)

Everything is fine. New engine assembly, gasket material, lube and Idemitsu oil shows up in silicon, moly and potassium. COBB OTS map runs rich, seen in 2.3% fuel dilution. They are so concerned about protecting the pistons from detonation and cylinder cooling that they rather over fuel and risk varnish build up. The good news is RLI is doing its job, holding up TBNs, low acid and plenty of antiwear protection units. Unfortunately running this tune means at 3000k miles RLI and filter will be changed. With lessor fuel dilution .5-.8% this oil can service 4500 on E85 and 8000 on pump gas. Also less fuel dilution will bring iron 11 ppm to a likely 8 ppm reading.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

Everything is fine. New engine assembly, gasket material, lube and Idemitsu oil shows up in silicon, moly and potassium. COBB OTS map runs rich, seen in 2.3% fuel dilution. They are so concerned about protecting the pistons from detonation and cylinder cooling that they rather over fuel and risk varnish build up. The good news is RLI is doing its job, holding up TBNs, low acid and plenty of antiwear protection units. Unfortunately running this tune means at 3000k miles RLI and filter will be changed. With lessor fuel dilution .5-.8% this oil can service 4500 on E85 and 8000 on pump gas. Also less fuel dilution will bring iron 11 ppm to a likely 8 ppm reading.
I’m curios about the stock PCV system now in the 2019 and 2020 models. In my 2015 I was seeing blow bye in the intercooler early on before I added an AOS. The last time I checked my intercooler was dry. I’m at 6k miles now and I haven’t looked at in about 3k. How is yours?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
When weather warms up I’ll take a look. I went back and looked at my first three 2017 oil samples. This was when I was running per manual 6000 miles on Subaru 5w30. And the second Subaru 5w30 sample was 4500 miles (I had dealer maint pkg) half 93oct protune and half E85 flex fuel tune. I kept modding. The third was 1500 miles on Motul 5w40 Xcess because I didn’t like what I saw on the second. My 2020 compares well against unit averages for Blackstone’s STI database in key metal wear readings.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
But I notice this factory void and it can’t be unseen

Took off the rear wheels and sure enough behind this hole there’s a glob of moist matter.

RallyArmor allows about 0.5 to 0.75 inch of side to side adjustment to determine overhang. I went with the lowest profile.

Ran a quick errand and within a few miles the flaps are covered in a fine layer of salt crystals.

I’m that guy now.... probably need rain visors and venturi to complete the SubieBro spec....
No buffet sneeze gaurds! lol.. I'll never understand that trend.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

New toy. Griot’s random orbitals never go on sale although if you are an Everyday Driver podcast listener you can get 10% off by using the promo code everyday. The BOSS G15 and G21 are on clearance sale. GG is getting ready to launch new products. This 15mm throw machine is terrific value at $225 down from $365... has great parts and build internally. Lifetime warranty if it breaks. My original GG6 bought in 2005 broke in 2018 and GG replaced it. I’m going to convert it a 3" plate.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts