IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
But I notice this factory void and it can’t be unseen

Took off the rear wheels and sure enough behind this hole there’s a glob of moist matter.

RallyArmor allows about 0.5 to 0.75 inch of side to side adjustment to determine overhang. I went with the lowest profile.

Ran a quick errand and within a few miles the flaps are covered in a fine layer of salt crystals.

I’m that guy now.... probably need rain visors and venturi to complete the SubieBro spec....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car's looking super clean, per usual. Mind listing out your wash products and your process for both your maintenance washes and your deep cleans/details? I've been giving Chemical Guys a try for their wash soap and towel detergent, been a Meguiars sealer and wax guy since high school, and mother's clay bar and quick detailer since about the same. Your red is bending light in a drool-worthy way my friend.

And since you mentioned being a detailing enthusiast: I've got a clear bra going on the full front in about a week, and then a ceramic coat about two weeks after that - any advice on product changes to make once the ceramic goes on? I've seen a lot of products billed towards being ceramic friendly; but using only high quality products, always-clean and debris-free towels, straight and light hand motions, etc, I just assume would be safe enough for the ceramic as it's been for the standard clear coat. Appreciate any insight you've got there.

Keep up the posts! I find myself swooping in often to see what you've got going on (and sometimes following your footsteps, e.g. mud flaps).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Car's looking super clean, per usual. Mind listing out your wash products and your process for both your maintenance washes and your deep cleans/details? I've been giving Chemical Guys a try for their wash soap and towel detergent, been a Meguiars sealer and wax guy since high school, and mother's clay bar and quick detailer since about the same. Your red is bending light in a drool-worthy way my friend.

And since you mentioned being a detailing enthusiast: I've got a clear bra going on the full front in about a week, and then a ceramic coat about two weeks after that - any advice on product changes to make once the ceramic goes on? I've seen a lot of products billed towards being ceramic friendly; but using only high quality products, always-clean and debris-free towels, straight and light hand motions, etc, I just assume would be safe enough for the ceramic as it's been for the standard clear coat. Appreciate any insight you've got there.

Keep up the posts! I find myself swooping in often to see what you've got going on (and sometimes following your footsteps, e.g. mud flaps).
Thank you so much. This 2020 received new car prep by Phil Yiu of Detailer’s Domain. It was mid November on delivery day, I hired him to install PPF and wasn’t confident low 40 temperatures will allow me to prep and protect the surface.

DD foamed with Sonax actifoam energy. Mechanical decontamination with a clay bar. Installed Xpel PPF in all high impact areas. Polished with
all in one Rupes Uno Protect using a Rupes yellow foam pad. Uno was released onto the market in late October and is an exceptional product well suited for soft Subaru paint. My understanding it has the right amount of abrasives, has fillers and wipes clean to a high gloss. I bought a bottle and will shelf my two step Griots Boss creams. I’m also sold on Rupes yellow foam and wool pads. I’ve used Griots orange foam pad which are made by Lake Country and the yellow is finer and softer with the option of wool if I need more cutting.

Phil’s last step product was Fictech One. It’s a consumer grade ceramic coating with 20% SiO2. Compared to 45% inorganic materials in a CarPro Cquartz Lite which is another user friendly consumer grade coating. Another option is Gtecniq Crystal Serum Lite. Fictech is spray on wipe off type of application that gives up to 1 year protection. I have been using a sealant, Sonax Polymer Net Shield with great results. Phil assured he has moved on from PNS, while a great product, it doesn’t have the slickness from Fictech. Time will tell but water beads are tighter with Sonax PNS. There’s never been a better time to be a detailing enthusiast. So many great products.

My maintenance wash is P&S Pearl Shampoo. It foams well but my weekly to biweekly washes don’t need so much soap just a generous pour into a wash bucket and use a separate rinse bucket. I use a Briggs & Stratton S2200 power washer to pre wash before contact wash with microfiber mitts.

Towels are important. I use Rag Company double twistress drying towels. Eagle edgeless to apply Sonax Brillant Shine Detailer. The gloss is close to Bead Maker and it’s a lot more durable even cutting it was water 1:1. I prefer spraying my towel first and then wipe on wipe off.

Wheel brushes get their own bucket. Typical woolie and boar’s hair pen brush. I’m less particular about wheel products. They all work if you clean often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you so much. This 2020 received new car prep by Phil Yiu of Detailer’s Domain. It was mid November on delivery day, I hired him to install PPF and wasn’t confident low 40 temperatures will allow me to prep and protect the surface.

DD foamed with Sonax actifoam energy. Mechanical decontamination with a clay bar. Installed Xpel PPF in all high impact areas. Polished with
all in one Rupes Uno Protect using a Rupes yellow foam pad. Uno was released onto the market in late October and is an exceptional product well suited for soft Subaru paint. My understanding it has the right amount of abrasives, has fillers and wipes clean to a high gloss. I bought a bottle and will shelf my two step Griots Boss creams. I’m also sold on Rupes yellow foam and wool pads. I’ve used Griots orange foam pad which are made by Lake Country and the yellow is finer and softer with the option of wool if I need more cutting.

Phil’s last step product was Fictech One. It’s a consumer grade ceramic coating with 20% SiO2. Compared to 45% inorganic materials in a CarPro Cquartz Lite which is another user friendly consumer grade coating. Another option is Gtecniq Crystal Serum Lite. Fictech is spray on wipe off type of application that gives up to 1 year protection. I have been using a sealant, Sonax Polymer Net Shield with great results. Phil assured he has moved on from PNS, while a great product, it doesn’t have the slickness from Fictech. Time will tell but water beads are tighter with Sonax PNS. There’s never been a better time to be a detailing enthusiast. So many great products.

My maintenance wash is P&S Pearl Shampoo. It foams well but my weekly to biweekly washes don’t need so much soap just a generous pour into a wash bucket and use a separate rinse bucket. I use a Briggs & Stratton S2200 power washer to pre wash before contact wash with microfiber mitts.

Towels are important. I use Rag Company double twistress drying towels. Eagle edgeless to apply Sonax Brillant Shine Detailer. The gloss is close to Bead Maker and it’s a lot more durable even cutting it was water 1:1. I prefer spraying my towel first and then wipe on wipe off.

Wheel brushes get their own bucket. Typical woolie and boar’s hair pen brush. I’m less particular about wheel products. They all work if you clean often.

My friend, very much appreciate the thorough detail (pun intended) and product background. This should be stickied in the detailing section. Looks like I’ve got some new products to try out. Keep us posted on the products you’re using and the results you’re getting. Very valuable information in these pages!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
My friend, very much appreciate the thorough detail (pun intended) and product background. This should be stickied in the detailing section. Looks like I’ve got some new products to try out. Keep us posted on the products you’re using and the results you’re getting. Very valuable information in these pages!
Thanks again I forgot to mention I use Griots glass polish and sealant. The wipers on the 2017 showed minimal wear after 29k miles. I’m expecting similar results for the 2020.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Spotted a Civic Type R. It needs a mid cycle refresh. I don’t understand origami panels, tiny rear calipers and a gazillion nooks and crannies. A detailer’s bad dream.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Great Journal. I’ve enjoyed reading through the entire thread.

Noticed that your wheels do not poke out at all. My 18 shows Wheel outside the front and rear fender line. Strange

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Great Journal. I’ve enjoyed reading through the entire thread.

Noticed that your wheels do not poke out at all. My 18 shows Wheel outside the front and rear fender line. Strange
Thanks! I found these pics and to me they look like yours. It comes down to stance, camber and tire selection. Some tires have wider tread.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks again I forgot to mention I use Griots glass polish and sealant. The wipers on the 2017 showed minimal wear after 29k miles. I’m expecting similar results for the 2020.

I have not tried this stuff. I have had good results with ceramic glass coatings though

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Thanks! I found these pics and to me they look like yours. It comes down to stance, camber and tire selection. Some tires have wider tread.

Yeah, I was commenting on these being mounted up on your 2020. You are right about tread. The RE71R’s are pretty square, but I chose them because I will track the car and drive pretty aggressive, daily on mountain roads.

I’m amazed at how glassy the finish comes out with the protective treatments on this n your 2020. Nicely done

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Went to Prime Motoring today to dyno my COBB off the shelf stage 2 tune with their downpipe.

294whp and 341wtq. Just know I’m running light weight wheels that are 10.8 lbs less than OE per corner. Today was also 48° and 98% humidity so readings are lower.

Here’s the overlay against my stock baseline a while back.

I don’t drive my STi hard enough. Prime did 6 pulls and it kept getting stronger. COBB tunes make repeatable power!

1st and best overlay

5 days ago another customer came into Prime with a 2020 with bolt on’s...

I suspected my 2020 was 300/330 like my 2017 when it was Protune on 93oct with ID1050x, AEM320, Holy Headers, COBB SF and DP and Invidia Q300. I am right.

Plan is to enjoy this car and wait for the TGV and or turbo inlet to leak before doing a Protune.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
You mentioned that your wheel and tire setup is 10lbs per corner lighter. What tires were on the factory 19’s and what tires are you running on your 18X9.5 Volks?

Ask because when I removed my factory 19’s with 245/35 Yokohama Advans and installed Titan 7 18X9.5’s with 265/30 RE71R’s, I only lost 3lbs per wheel/tire. I weighed them myself when I swapped them in my garage. 10lbs sounds like a lot.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You mentioned that your wheel and tire setup is 10lbs per corner lighter. What tires were on the factory 19’s and what tires are you running on your 18X9.5 Volks?

Ask because when I removed my factory 19’s with 245/35 Yokohama Advans and installed Titan 7 18X9.5’s with 265/30 RE71R’s, I only lost 3lbs per wheel/tire. I weighed them myself when I swapped them in my garage. 10lbs sounds like a lot.
Stock 19s had Yokohama Advans and Volk ZE40 has 245/40R18 Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Nice numbers by the way. My 18 had 297 whp with 1050’s, intake, DP Killer B’s, etc... with a pro tune. When I added Flex Fuel, I had a big increase. Another thing to keep in mind with my previous setup, is that I’m in Cali and have to run 91 octane.

Wonder if I went back and did another pull, if the new wheels/tires would show any difference at all. I would think “peak” WHP would be flat.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Stock 19s had Yokohama Advans and Volk ZE40 has 245/40R18 Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires.

Advertised weight of your wheels = 18lbs. Advertised weight of my wheels = 18.9lbs.
Obviously, tires have a big impact on rotating weight.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Nice numbers by the way. My 18 had 297 whp with 1050’s, intake, DP Killer B’s, etc... with a pro tune. When I added Flex Fuel, I had a big increase. Another thing to keep in mind with my previous setup, is that I’m in Cali and have to run 91 octane.

Wonder if I went back and did another pull, if the new wheels/tires would show any difference at all. I would think “peak” WHP would be flat.
Tuning on 91 is tough but you have E85 everywhere to make up for it. I would tune on E85 again for safety and overall powerband smoothness but it was a hassle to drive a round trip hour to fill up 20 gals in VP Racing jugs and top off the tank.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Advertised weight of your wheels = 18lbs. Advertised weight of my wheels = 18.9lbs.
Obviously, tires have a big impact on rotating weight.
I went to my garage and weighed my Michelin Pilot Supersports in 255/35R18. 22.6 lbs

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I’ve been thinking about an audio upgrade to the base speakers. With Apple CarPlay integration I’m not interested in changing the head unit. I browsed through Crutchfield online and was completely overwhelmed by 6.5" speaker selection. I don’t want to pay for quality my OE head unit can’t use.

Two things I observed on Crutchfield 1) there are no drop in plug n play tweeter options and 2) there are no rear door speakers that do not require drilling new holes to mount. Doors and trunk are moisture areas and I don’t feel comfortable drilling panels for long term ownership.

Perhaps the answer is already in front of me. The OEM+ Kicker speakers. Found a set of tweeters locally for $70.

Base tweeter

Kicker

Panel removal is straightforward. Use a thin small pry bar to dig into the soft touch dash to get under the hard plastic cover and lift it until the tabs release. The soft dash recovers without scratches.

Note the blue tabs that hold it in place. Harness plugs right in.

Sound has distinct higher highs with more accuracy... more forward, brighter and less warm. I would say door speakers need to be upgraded next to bring on midrange fullness. It is not audiophile quality. The sound stage isn’t distinct like a good home setup where you can close your eyes and hear the vocals and instruments on stage. For $70 it’s a good start.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts