IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts

The single wall burnt tips look rice to me. I wish they left the titanium alone with a satin brushed finish. Or glass bead blasted like custom knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I 100% agree.. don't know why they decided to do burnt tips sigh ....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Were you satisfied with the work the detail shop did with the xpel and ceramic coating? I had my 17 done with xpel and cquartz finest by a detail shop in Hillsboro a few years back and about due for a new coating and detail, might try Phil out.

Keep up the nice work with the new ride, will be following

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Were you satisfied with the work the detail shop did with the xpel and ceramic coating? I had my 17 done with xpel and cquartz finest by a detail shop in Hillsboro a few years back and about due for a new coating and detail, might try Phil out.

Keep up the nice work with the new ride, will be following
Thank you. I am happy with Phil’s work and this wrap comes with a complimentary 1 month follow up wash to inspect the work. He posts quite a bit of content on their Instagram page, check it out to get a feel of their range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice. You left the stock cat-back and just installed the Grimmspeed downpipe and flashed the Cobb Stage 2 OTS map?

Still deciding on what to do with my 2019 as far as exhaust. The stock cat-back is supposedly improved on the 2019+ though.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Very nice. You left the stock cat-back and just installed the Grimmspeed downpipe and flashed the Cobb Stage 2 OTS map?

Still deciding on what to do with my 2019 as far as exhaust. The stock cat-back is supposedly improved on the 2019+ though.
It’s too quiet still. I pulled mine as soon as I brought my 2019 home from the dealership. I had the Tomei ELH and Invidia Dual N1 cat back waiting at home to install. Grimspeed divorced catted downpipe came soon after. There is just not enough juice stock in these compared to what is out there nowadays.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

Thanks! Actually I have a COBB downpipe and the Grimmspeed is the heat shield left over at the shop I use. I’m running the stage 2 OTS map and it’s very smooth with a good amount of pep.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
It’s too quiet still. I pulled mine as soon as I brought my 2019 home from the dealership. I had the Tomei ELH and Invidia Dual N1 cat back waiting at home to install. Grimspeed divorced catted downpipe came soon after. There is just not enough juice stock in these compared to what is out there nowadays.

Cool! I’ve had many combinations from COBB intake and downpipe plus KillerB headers and three different exhausts (Q300, AWE and COBB). I prefer just a downpipe with stock intake and exhaust. For me it’s the most amount of pep I can add without changing the tone and adding drone. I tried stock exhaust with intake, DP and ELH and didn’t like the tone.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Put on a Cusco intercooler protector. Hope it doesn’t corrode in a year like their lower control arms.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Put on a Cusco intercooler protector. Hope it doesn’t corrode in a year like their lower control arms.

Nice. I put a grill craft insert in the hood opening instead of mesh on the intercooler. Same protection. I did not know Cusco had this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks! Actually I have a COBB downpipe and the Grimmspeed is the heat shield left over at the shop I use. I’m running the stage 2 OTS map and it’s very smooth with a good amount of pep.

Yeah I should have looked at the pic more closely. Grimmspeed DP has the divorced wastegate.

Are you planning anything besides a pro-tune? I think the stock exhaust has plenty of flow. I'm gonna do the same thing with my 19' -- Just a downpipe to stock cat-back and a tune. The only thing I will add is a Tomei ELH. I'll see how the fuel system is after all that when I log it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

lol I hear you, that's gotta sound good. Eventually I'll do this when I build the motor, but as a daily right now, not so sure on that move.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yeah I should have looked at the pic more closely. Grimmspeed DP has the divorced wastegate.

Are you planning anything besides a pro-tune? I think the stock exhaust has plenty of flow. I'm gonna do the same thing with my 19' -- Just a downpipe to stock cat-back and a tune. The only thing I will add is a Tomei ELH. I'll see how the fuel system is after all that when I log it.
I was planning on a protune plus AEM fuel pump but this OTS stage 2 map is much stronger than I remembered. I know Prime Motoring’s dyno well having had three 2017 STi protunes of varying mods the power now feels like a legit 300-310whp and 320-330wtq. Makes sense since COBB target boost is 19.5psi in 2019+ vs 18.5psi in 2015-2018.

I’m happy for now... it drives well.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looks like detailers domain used your car in one of their ads! Looks super sharp! Wish I had done that with my black '16, the hood's got a nice little nick now...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was planning on a protune plus AEM fuel pump but this OTS stage 2 map is much stronger than I remembered. I know Prime Motoring’s dyno well having had three 2017 STi protunes of varying mods the power now feels like a legit 300-310whp and 320-330wtq. Makes sense since COBB target boost is 19.5psi in 2019+ vs 18.5psi in 2015-2018.

I’m happy for now... it drives well.
Yeah for sure that would be perfect for me. And everything is good on the OTS map? Slightly worried about it.

As far as what I was concerned about with the fuel system, I thought the injectors would be a problem before the stock pump, because I'd like to keep it under 90% IDC. If I did the injectors, I'd do the pump as well. And if I did that... I'd do a FPR kit from what I've heard about the GRs and the stumble issue, but I don't know if they made any changes to that for the 2018 RA and 2019+. I don't wanna do anything if it doesn't need it though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yeah for sure that would be perfect for me. And everything is good on the OTS map? Slightly worried about it.

As far as what I was concerned about with the fuel system, I thought the injectors would be a problem before the stock pump, because I'd like to keep it under 90% IDC. If I did the injectors, I'd do the pump as well. And if I did that... I'd do a FPR kit from what I've heard about the GRs and the stumble issue, but I don't know if they made any changes to that for the 2018 RA and 2019+. I don't wanna do anything if it doesn't need it though.
OTS maps are good. AFR curves I’m told look great. COBB has hired great tuners these past few years and spent a ton of money developing these tunes.

I’ve done fueling upgrades before and had COBB FPR and went on to an Aeromotive one after upgrading the turbo. You only need bigger injectors, EBCs, if you plan on flex fuel and or turbo upgrade down the line. The costs add up quick into the deep end... A COBB downpipe and Accessport is honestly the best bang for the buck. The stock suspension is also well suited for it.

This was my mod list under the 2017’s hood. It was fast but loud.

Cobb titanium catback
Cobb SF intake
Cobb FMIC
Cobb flex fuel kit
Cobb access port
Cobb bypass valve
Cobb EBC
Visconti speed density kit
Aeromotive FPR
IAG fuel rail and lines
KillerB Holy Headers
Perrin up-pipe
FP Blue HTZ, IWG
AEM320
IAG AOS street
ID1050x fuel injectors
IAG TGV deletes
Perrin turbo inlet pipe

·
Registered
16 Posts
OTS maps are good. AFR curves I’m told look great. COBB has hired great tuners these past few years and spent a ton of money developing these tunes.

I’ve done fueling upgrades before and had COBB FPR and went on to an Aeromotive one after upgrading the turbo. You only need bigger injectors, EBCs, if you plan on flex fuel and or turbo upgrade down the line. The costs add up quick into the deep end... A COBB downpipe and Accessport is honestly the best bang for the buck. The stock suspension is also well suited for it.

This was my mod list under the 2017’s hood. It was fast but loud.

Cobb titanium catback
Cobb SF intake
Cobb FMIC
Cobb flex fuel kit
Cobb access port
Cobb bypass valve
Cobb EBC
Visconti speed density kit
Aeromotive FPR
IAG fuel rail and lines
KillerB Holy Headers
Perrin up-pipe
FP Blue HTZ, IWG
AEM320
IAG AOS street
ID1050x fuel injectors
IAG TGV deletes
Perrin turbo inlet pipe
Damn that's a perfect setup you had on the 2017, once you start going down that road. I agree a downpipe and tune is the best bang for the buck. I'll be there with my 2019 shortly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This was a great read... Thank you!

New Subaru owner with a 2020 wing lapis blue STi... From a 2010 Honda SI (due to getting tboned)

Will definitely get an AP and I think the titanium Cobb is the best cat back, equal headers and intake... But I'll stick to just AP now and the rest after 10k miles

61 - 80 of 95 Posts