IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In early 2017 I got my first STi and wanted something a bit different. I always felt there are colors that looked right with a wing and without. Lapis blue pearl to me looks better without a wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next came COBB downpipe and a protune by Junior Barrios

270whp and 300wtq

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By Thanksgiving 2017 I decided I wanted more power and went flex fuel with a list of supporting parts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With stock VF48 turbo and TMIC and MAF tuned

320whp and 390wtq. I didn’t have one of the stronger EJ25 out there. The dyno was Prime Motoring and they have customers lay down as high as 340whp and 410wtq on this build.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Next came Ohlins. Tried RCE regular guy springs with OE struts. The rear felt like a pogo oscillator. Even added a set of GTworx Bilsteins. The rear bounce went away but the ride sucked. Those Bils have hard bumpstops and the soft springs allowed the STi to bottom out everywhere and shutter shake the dash.

RCE regular guy only raked the front slightly, utterly pointless and shifted weight forward for worse handling.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a set of Volk ZE40 18x9.5 +40

On OE suspension wrapped in Michelin Pilot Supersports 255/35R18

Needs a drop

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Another angle

Alignment is -2° front and -1.5° rear, zero toe all around

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drove the flex fuel set up for 8000 miles and noticed the OE clutch couldn’t hold 4th gear highway pulls. Went with a Southbend stage 3 daily to give myself HP headroom

It was firmer than stock, maybe 10-20%. Engaged earlier and had a shorter stroke. Overall really nice clutch feel.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With over 10,000 miles on the Q300, with KillerB Holy Headers, COBB SF intake and downpipe it got loud. And drones around 2.5k RPM.

AWE tuning announced its Subaru program and I had to try it.

AWE has ugly welds and lots of waves in the muffler. What they got right was the slant tips. Filled the bumper cutouts nicely.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Another angle of the AWE. It is loud A/F. To their credit it didn’t drone at the 2.5-3k rpm range and up top it sounded really good. I got a proper dB meter and AWE with FBO was 79-81 dB windows up cruising volume.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a ride in a car with FP Blue and was impressed. The team at Prime Motoring love this little turbo. It spools quickly and makes up to 500whp on E85.

Couldn’t help myself. The stock flex fuel set up has great midrange punch but ran out of breath up top. I already had ID1050X injectors and fueling to support the FP Blue so yeah...

Plan was to add a Spearco TMIC, tune it on MAF and be done with it. At this point I’m in a discovery stage with the STi. Prime was building 500+ HP cars every week and the curiosity struck me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A week before FP Blue installation it became apparent Spearco’s backordered TMIC wasn’t coming. Swapped for an ETS and on install day it didn’t fit over the internal gated FP. I wasn’t willing to go EWG or downgrade to a Grimmspeed TMIC so I foolishly elected to go factory TMIC to see what it would do.

On a hot August day it lay down 365whp and wtq on E60 blend. The power delivery was also not great, everything happened after 5k rpms and below it felt worse than stage 3 flex fuel.

Overlaying chart vs stage 3 FF protune

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
By October 2018 decided it was time to fix this and took advantage of early Black Friday sales to lock in a black core COBB FMIC, Visconti speed density, Aeromotive FPR, iAG fuel rails and lines.

Went back for another JRtuned and this time it made some jam. 425whp and wtq. The drive was completely transformed. It spooled like it should and the power felt good from midrange to top end.

Junior told me I left 50-75whp on the table with an IWG but I can’t live with the noise. It is a daily with two young kids that ride with me during the week and my wife already refuses to get in the car as-is.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

COBB fit and finish is excellent. Plus it has a crash bar with provisions for accessing tow hook and separate tubes for windshield fluid and coolant.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts