IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ouch, i let my friend drive my car about 2 weeks ago and he was test driving it, because he is thinking about one, and he hit a thick patch of ice and went straight into a corner of a parking lot wall. it took hit about 4 inches to the right of the center of the front, and just from looks the radiator is gone, and it looks like the engine was pushed back. The hood is gone, bumper, passenger HID.

they took a look at it, the body shop, and said they think there was no engine damage, but they would have to look at it deeper.

man, my baby is hurt \=

but if the engine wasnt damaged at all, then it will still perform the same right?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Where did you tap your egt probe?

If the engine was pushed back, you'd probably know it... you'll see your shifter shoved back and probably a broken driveline somewhere also. It's hard to ram an engine back noticeably without causing a lot of other noticeable damage.

And I agree with Sti Thunder... I've only let my wife and one specific friend that I know can drive have the wheel so far. My wife is a cautious driver by nature and the other guy has owned cars with a lot more power than the sti, not to mention I was in the passenger seat giving him permission for everything we did.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry about your car.

Make sure the body shop is top notch. Get some referrals or ask the shop to give you names of satisfied customers who have had damage similar to yours.

I would talk to a few shops and talk directly to the technicians and the painters. Always ask for work to be inspected in stages, this will eliminate any surprises. Also, talking to the technicians will separate the average shops from the shops that really take pride in their work.

A good shop with will make your car look and perform like new.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Destroyed an E46 BMW today....same as M3????

yea, i talked to them, they sound really nice and good, but i will be there everyday to make sure they do it well :D

they said they have had much worse come in and look new, but we will see, i guess i should call up some customers and ask what they think of there work, thanks for the idea agent 8)

i jus hope they do a good job :eek:

·
Registered
454 Posts
STi_Thunder said:
That's why you never let friends drive your car....
No doubt. Especially when there's ice on the roads.

I would say your friend just bought one.... I would just sign the payments right over to him, and go buy myself a new one.

·
Registered
759 Posts
DrEvyl said:
STi_Thunder said:
That's why you never let friends drive your car....
No doubt. Especially when there's ice on the roads.

I would say your friend just bought one.... I would just sign the payments right over to him, and go buy myself a new one.
That makes me ill. I would never let anyone drive my car unsupervised {I have let a few friends drive it while I am in the passenger seat}.

Your friend is in trouble and he better have insurance or a lot of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, his insurance is paying it, he has to pay a 500 deductable or something, and the shop says that its 4700 so far w/o looking at engine :(

·
Registered
668 Posts
ouch dude. I was driving through the snow in St. Louis driving the speed limit and didn't have any problems with snow and ice. even tried braking hard on downhills when I knew big patches of snow/ice were coming up and didn' thave any problems recovering. he must have been going way fast in a bad place...

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
filbert said:
ouch dude. I was driving through the snow in St. Louis driving the speed limit and didn't have any problems with snow and ice. even tried braking hard on downhills when I knew big patches of snow/ice were coming up and didn' thave any problems recovering. he must have been going way fast in a bad place...
Hey filbert, did you get your blue STi fixed?

·
Registered
76 Posts
uuuuugh im the only one (since purchase anyway) to drive my sti....no plans on letting ANYONE drive it...maybe my dad but even that is iffy - id let my uncle drive it but he has two modded corvettes (complete body off frame restos) and monte carlo from hell - so hes got some experience with powerful cars

·
Registered
668 Posts
STi_Thunder said:
Hey filbert, did you get your blue STi fixed?
No... it's still in the shop... they missed a part and didn't realize it until they replaced all the other parts. Total damage was about 2000, i think that's without labor though. Stupid GEICO wanted them to iron out the hood and quoted the damages at 700. :roll: I was so upset when I flew into St. Louis to find all the roads coated in freezing rain and a couple inches of snow, but no STi to drive. :(

PhillyB said:
uuuuugh im the only one (since purchase anyway) to drive my sti....no plans on letting ANYONE drive it...maybe my dad but even that is iffy - id let my uncle drive it but he has two modded corvettes (complete body off frame restos) and monte carlo from hell - so hes got some experience with powerful cars
My dad's got a Z06 and a CLK55... and i let him drive... and that's why my car's in the shop. :evil:

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey filbert, i am 10 east stl and my sti still has the summer tires w/ 200 mls so its in a heated garage. I trust myself but not other people.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
filbert said:
Stupid GEICO wanted them to iron out the hood and quoted the damages at 700. :roll:
There's a reason Geico will sometimes give cheaper insurance rates than other places, and it's not generousity.

·
Registered
668 Posts
yeah... and if i get in another accident or another speeding ticket, i can kiss my policy goodbye.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts