IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put Group-N engine mounts on this last weekend. I heard a rattle when I shut my car off yesterday and diagnosed it as an uppipe heatshield rattle tonight. When I bang on my downpipe while under the car I can duplicate the noise. It is pretty bad when the car is hot.
Has anyone had this same problem? If so, what can I do to fix it? I checked a couple of the bolts around the uppipe flange and they were uber tight.

CB

Edit: Ok, I have been driving around with this rattle for almost a week and it is driving me insane! I can reach down there after the engine cools down and move the heatshield around. How does this happen? Seriously, WTF!!!!!

Final Edit: Problem fixor'd. Guess what is was? It was my APS CAI! Yeah it was rubbing where it goes through into the fender well!:lol: The CAI had been reeked on quite a bit lately with all the work under the hood and had been positioned to where the sheet metal was contacting it. That explains why it was translating into the glovebox-from the fender! Man, am I relieved. When I got home today, the whole WWIII with the squirrels was @ full song and man, was I bummed!

CB

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My uppipe heatshield was broken too. It was rattling and setting off the knock sensor.

I can't see how this would be related to the motor mounts being installed.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I remember a thread from while back about this rattle. Do a search and you might be able to find that thread... I remember reading about people bending the shield outta way with a crowbar and also using hose clamp to tighten it down.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I had this rattle and thought it was the uppipe heatshield too. The top weld was broken and it was indeed loose, so I went in there and pried and twisted it until it was wedged in pretty tight. But it turns out, that wasn't it and something is still rattling. It's coming from that same general vicinity. It normally begins when I rev to about 1200 rpm and continues up to 2000 rpm, then it stops. It makes the car sound like a '62 Ford Falcon on cheap gas. What else could be rattling there?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wi77iam said:
I had this rattle and thought it was the uppipe heatshield too. The top weld was broken and it was indeed loose, so I went in there and pried and twisted it until it was wedged in pretty tight. But it turns out, that wasn't it and something is still rattling. It's coming from that same general vicinity. It normally begins when I rev to about 1200 rpm and continues up to 2000 rpm, then it stops. It makes the car sound like a '62 Ford Falcon on cheap gas. What else could be rattling there?
You prolly did not completely stabilize the heatshield. I think complete removal is the only sure solution. The thing about that is, what about the heat? It can't be good to not have a shield on the upper part of the uppipe.

CB

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Yea, the up pipe heat shield weld broke on me too. I used a large heavy duty hose clamp and sinched it very tight, I have not had a issue since & its been about a year.

This thread should be moved.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You could just get another used uppipe in good shape and sell the one off your car. I sold my STi uppipe for $75. Or just use this as a chance to go ewg :D

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I clamped my uppipe in two locations this last weekend and it is no longer loose. I still have this knocking sound when I start the car and when the engine studders. It sounds like it is coming from behind the glovebox but is actually on the engine somewhere. I believe it has something to do with the engine mounts I put in. I am so frustrated with this that I am considering taking the Group-N engine mounts back out.
I had someone start the car while I felt all over the engine on top, on the side and underneath the car. I cannot find the source.
Help!

CB

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I'm dealing with an annoying rattle as well, that I believe is the uppipe. I'm just going to replace the stock with a Perrin unit. I hope you can figure out whats rattling.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ninjaboy76 said:
I'm dealing with an annoying rattle as well, that I believe is the uppipe. I'm just going to replace the stock with a Perrin unit. I hope you can figure out whats rattling.
It only happens on startup when the engine studders to life. Pissin' me off real bad. You know, you try to optimize the car and end up causing problems. Total bummer.

CB

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
I have the same issue with the APS CAI, and have still yet to resolve it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
y dont u just take off the heat shield?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
STI_Mike said:
y dont u just take off the heat shield?
Every time I checked the uppipe heatshield, it is wedged in pretty tight, so I don't think it's that anymore. But there is still something rattling, coming from the turbo side of the engine. It now sounds more like a regular tapping - not random rattling. It comes on at rpms over idle and either stops at higher rpms or I just can't hear it anymore over the increased engine noise.

I thought it might be the uppipe itself now hitting the stationary heat shield. So I finally removed the upper heat shield completely and the tapping is still there.

Anyone have any other ideas - this is driving me over the edge. Could it be a loose motor mount?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wi77iam said:
Every time I checked the uppipe heatshield, it is wedged in pretty tight, so I don't think it's that anymore. But there is still something rattling, coming from the turbo side of the engine. It now sounds more like a regular tapping - not random rattling. It comes on at rpms over idle and either stops at higher rpms or I just can't hear it anymore over the increased engine noise.

I thought it might be the uppipe itself now hitting the stationary heat shield. So I finally removed the upper heat shield completely and the tapping is still there.

Anyone have any other ideas - this is driving me over the edge. Could it be a loose motor mount?
See first post!

CB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts