IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running this turbo and with stock internals? Do you guys think this may be a bit much for the stock internals? :rolleyes: Wanting to keep a TMIC setup.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
cnguyen said:
Anyone running this turbo and with stock internals? Do you guys think this may be a bit much for the stock internals? :rolleyes: Wanting to keep a TMIC setup.
Ummm, NO! not even clsoe....

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
With any turbo upgrade there's risk to your motor..
In a way you kind of have to be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
131 Posts
racephysics said:
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US. http://
Maybee a dumb question, but what does this mean? One of old buddies whos was deep into computers had a bumper sticker with this on it but never explained it...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
old reference to the subtitle in the game Zero Wing "All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time". Google it and you will find out more.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Green should be fine on the stock motor. As long as you have a good tune and don't abuse the crap out of it, it should last for quite a while. The max a green will make is ~450whp, there are people that have run 550+whp on the stock bottom end for quite some time, and they even race it at track events, TRYING to blow up the stocker, and couldn't do it. Other people have blown the stock motor with the stock turbo, so as you can see it really depends on how good your tune is.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've seen GT30R's ran with tmic's just fine.

The key is a couple of things...

Don't use the stocker tmic if you want a green
Wrap your turbo, downpipe, header to keep heat down
GET A GOOD TUNE!!!! this is the biggest one
Stock internals are fine with a good tune

·
Registered
890 Posts
Saabaru STI said:
I've seen GT30R's ran with tmic's just fine.

The key is a couple of things...

Don't use the stocker tmic if you want a green
Wrap your turbo, downpipe, header to keep heat down
GET A GOOD TUNE!!!! this is the biggest one
Stock internals are fine with a good tune
Ummm.. You say the 30R works fine with the stock TMIC, but then you say not to use it with a green? A 30R will produce more heat than a green, so if it works fine on a 30R (which it doesn't) it should have no problem with a green.. You can run the stock TMIC on a green or 30R, you will just be leaving ALOT of power on the table, plus it will be hard to tune because of the horrible heatsoak, and your car won't run consistantly at all. IMO, anything over a 20G you should go with a FMIC.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Will a top mount even fit with a rotated kit turbo like the 30r or 35r?
I can't even picture it fitting.. :lol:
Even if it did you'd be leaving so much power on the table it's rediculous.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
yea, assuming the tune is good your engine should be fine. I think you'll be able to get a tune that is much more consistent if your get a fmic or get meth with your tmic. Between the two though i would rather have a fmic imo.

·
Registered
97 Posts
STimo said:
Ummm.. You say the 30R works fine with the stock TMIC, but then you say not to use it with a green? A 30R will produce more heat than a green, so if it works fine on a 30R (which it doesn't) it should have no problem with a green.. You can run the stock TMIC on a green or 30R, you will just be leaving ALOT of power on the table, plus it will be hard to tune because of the horrible heatsoak, and your car won't run consistantly at all. IMO, anything over a 20G you should go with a FMIC.

Thats not what he said. He said The Gt30 will work fine, so will a Green. He just recomends to use an aftermarket TMIC, not the stock one. Read it again now.

·
Registered
890 Posts
scorcher2005 said:
Thats not what he said. He said The Gt30 will work fine, so will a Green. He just recomends to use an aftermarket TMIC, not the stock one. Read it again now.
Yeah i see what your saying, but still he is wrong, a 30R or green do not work well with a TMIC, even aftermarket, it heaksoaks like mad and all an upgraded TMIC is going to do is take longer to cool off once it heatsoaks :).. You will leave a BUNCH of power on the table with a TMIC on either turbos, that and it won't run consistantly, and it will be alot harder to tune. Technically you can run a TMIC with said turbos, but it's just not a good idea to.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Using a TMIC with either of these turbos is like saying you can use a steak knife to cut down a tree...
It technically could do the job, but it's not the best way to go about doing it ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
^Exactly my point, good job in wording that :)..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts