IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rare to find drifting fans among Subaru owners, but I know we exist! I have helped train Subaru owners how to drift RWD cars, and have even help build Imprezas for competitive drifting.

I wanted to open a thread about the proffesional drifting series in the U.S. (Formula Drift) for those that follow the sport.

Press Release: Bakchis Finishes 10th Overall in 2013 Formula Drift Championship

For immediate release (Ontario, CA) – The 2013 Formula Drift series came to a close at Irwindale Speedway in California on October 12, 2013. A successful final event for Aurimas “Odi” Bakchis placed him tenth overall for the season championship points, further establishing his drift program as a strong contender in the leading drift series.
Bakchis qualified ninth in Irwindale, setting him up for successful tandem competition later in the event. Paired with Dave Briggs during the Top 32 bracket, Bakchis advanced to the Top 16 main event. Bakchis competed against Chris Forsberg during the Top 16 bracket, which was deemed a “one-more-time”. Forsberg then advanced and Bakchis finished twelfth in the event.
Repeated high qualifying scores, a fourth place finish in Seattle, and six finishes within the Top 16 throughout the season set Bakchis within the Top 10 ranked drivers for the 2013 season. Finishing his third season in Formula Drift, Bakchis has demonstrated a persistent presence in the top ranked drivers of the series and looks forward to continued action in 2014.
Bakchis has thanked his sponsors who helped make the 2013 season a success including Nexen Tire, United States Air Force, Feal Suspension, Torco Advanced Lubricants, 702 Graphics.com, Clutch Masters, Dstroyr, EBC Brakes, Battle Version, CBM, Holley EFI, Nitrous Express, Sikky Manufacturing, Top-Line Industrial Products, XXR Wheels, Weir Performance, Mishimoto, Wisefab, and Grip Royal. Additional information regarding Bakchis and his drift program can be found at Watch Odi Drift | Just another WordPress.com site.

Written by: Amy Bakchis

Photograph by: Mike Griffith

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell us in detail what it takes to make an AWD Impreza WRX or STI ready to drift for pro-amateur competition?
This would require you to neuter a Subaru. Might not be a good idea to start with a AWD chassis.

For beginer level drifting (non competitive), convert a STI to rwd, a wrx will not work the cheap way. You can weld the 6 speed center diff, and use a good r180 lsd unit. The wrx gearbox and rear diff are not strong enough (first couple of clutch kicks will break wrx axles). Proper coilovers.

For amatuer competition, use upgraded DSS axles with the r180 diff, or switch to a r200 diff and axles from a 240sx (machining of the uprights and subframe fab work are needed). Modifying the front knuckles for more steering angle is pretty much a must. Drop rear spring rates for more traction (5K is a good starting point).

For pro level all of the Subaru drivetrain must go. Dog box transmission, stonger rear diff and custom axles (Winters quick change). More steering angle is needed (custom knuckles). There is an endless list such as drop knuckles front and rear to drop the center of gravity without disturbing suspension geometry, anti squat modifications to rear susupension, power steering system, ... This does not stop no matter what chassis you use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Boobs add 50 horsepower!
1,307 Posts
Awesome recap video, and congrats on the season. You have another Youtube follower! Also can't fault another purple/green race car :D

Since you mention it in the video, what exactly is the difference in setting up the suspension for drifting compared to say... road course/autoX? Different compression/rebound? "Softer" springs for more contact and less upset on uneven pavement?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I love formula drift, I shot a few seasons myself.
these are from 2010, piloted by stephan verdier

Eric O'Sullivan

In the final 4 against Tanner foust, 2nd to final turn, before the rear
passenger side wheel flies off the car.

Even stephan couldnt believe it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome recap video, and congrats on the season. You have another Youtube follower! Also can't fault another purple/green race car :D

Since you mention it in the video, what exactly is the difference in setting up the suspension for drifting compared to say... road course/autoX? Different compression/rebound? "Softer" springs for more contact and less upset on uneven pavement?
Thank you! To get more speed/traction out of a drift car we end up staggering the spring rates and damping rates front to rear much more than a road race car. We use softer rates in the rear while keeping the fronts similar to what a road race car would have. My car also has more body roll than a road race car would have. This also gives the car more grip and keeps all four tires planted most of the time. This does not yield an easy set up to drive, but it allows us to go faster. The front of modern top level drift cars tend to push more than road race cars.

It is a fairly new discipline of driving, so there is no "book" to go by yet.

I love formula drift, I shot a few seasons myself.
these are from 2010, piloted by stephan verdier
I love the fact that Stephan used this Subaru for Formula Drift and x-games. Made full use out of that chassis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts