IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
06 STi - 170,000 miles
Stock - DD

Trying to figure out the main things that can cause my crankcase to pressurize?

Background info:

Sunday i attended a wake and had to drive through home through the 4-6" of snow here in Jersey. The drive home was slow and steady at 25mph as the roads weren't plowed. No issues on the drive home except for a ton of snow packed in the tires, front lip, and under carriage.

Monday the car sat as i drove with the family to the service.

This morning i started the car to let it warm up and besides a little belt squeal as it was only 11 degrees, out everything was fine. Boost gauge was showing -22, oil pressure was around 90 and nothing sounded or felt wrong.

Made it a 1/4 mile down the road when i noticed their was a blue smoke plume behind the car. I pulled over and popped the hood to see if anything was anything wrong with the engine. Even at this point there was nothing that sounded irregular or out of place.

I pulled the dip stick and as soon as i moved it a fraction of an inch out of the tube it began spewing oil like a geyser. I shoved it back in and immediately turned the car off and called a tow truck to get me home.

Had a buddy drive me into work so i wont get a chance to look at this until tonight but i wanted to get some ideas on what this might be or where i should start with testing.

Main thought is a busted ringland that is pressurizing the crank case. Im not sure if anything else would cause the oil to do that. I do have a perrin AOS installed but i don't think a frozen vacuum line would cause this. And i don't think a turbo issue would cause a pressurized crank case under idle conditions.

I figured i would pull the TMIC to see how much oil is in the intake. Then pull the plugs. Im not sure if performing a compression test with the current engine conditions could casue any more damage but i will check that tonight as well.

I have read other threads where people have over pressurized under boost and forced the dip stick out that way. I didnt hit much boost at all so i am not sure if i need to inspect any other seals?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be checking the following tonight:

Checking radiator for oil
Pulling/checking the plugs
Compression Test
Pulling TMIC
Checking PCV valve and Perrin AOS

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
'06 + pressurized crankcase + stock tune ...... it is indeed sounding like bad ringlands :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sti compression test 3/4/15 at 170,000

Cy - 1 - 130
Cy - 2 - 130
CY - 3 - 140
Cy - 4 - 105

No oil in radiator. No coolant in oil.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
612 Posts
wow! 170,000??? thats amazing. never replaced the engine before? haha that has to be some kind of record for the 257 xD

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
No. I'm 180, stage two for 75, and there are people on here with far more - like over 300.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it has the original stock engine but im on my 2nd stock turbo.

At this point is there any sense trying to look/diagnose/test anything else?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yes it has the original stock engine but im on my 2nd stock turbo.

At this point is there any sense trying to look/diagnose/test anything else?
Unlikely...looks like #4 is going out on you.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
i have a question for chris (kb):
given a choice of reusing an in-spec gd block vs buying an unreinforced 704 or 705 series block, i'd keep the pre 704 series block.

at what point does mileage begin to be a consideration or is it ever a consideration as long as it is in-spec?

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Good question. I've honestly never knowingly worked with a block with that high a mileage. In theory, just like with a 50 year old airplane with 10 million miles on the clock, as long as it passes inspection it should be good. With using sleeves it should matter to an even lesser extent. We've done those new and seasoned without having a block failure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Main issue was weather related. Had a frozen PCV on the Aos and a frozen/gummed up oil filter. I was not running the skid plate at the time and the snow melted enough around the oil filter to seep into the oring and then freeze again at night.

Pulled the TMIC and saw normal amounts of blow by in the turbo inlet and TMIC. Intake and throttle body were clean.

Car started right up after the oil and plug change. No oil shooting out the dip stick or smoke out the oil cap. Took about 10 miles of light driving to clear out whatever residual was left in the exhaust.

Pulled the plugs on the warm engine this time to do another compression test and values came back almost exactly as they were 9 months ago at 153,000.

Cy - 1 - 143
Cy - 2 - 148
CY - 3 - 145
Cy - 4 - 125

I'm sure #4 has a bad ringland but it wasn't the cause of the oil pressure and smoke i was originally dealing with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts