IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Until it's final...If they're not going to make an already great car better, they're going backwards.

IMHO...The BRZ at this point isn' better.

I'll keep what I got, thank you.

Gotta haves:

300+hp
Recaro's
Brembo's
Sound system
Better fit and finish

$35-$40K

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Until it's final...If they're not going to make an already great car better, they're going backwards.

IMHO...The BRZ at this point isn' better.

I'll keep what I got, thank you.

Gotta haves:

300+hp
Recaro's
Brembo's
Sound system
Better fit and finish

$35-$40K
You do realize the BRZ and Impreza STI are two entirely separate markets, right? Subaru is not bringing the BRZ to market to replace the Impreza STI. It's very likely that Subaru's statement about no turbo BRZ is because they don't want the BRZ to eat into WRX or STI sales. These two cars are not supposed to be cross-shopped.

I also question how you're judging fit and finish on a car that hasn't hit dealership floors yet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If this is ride is on coilovers, this car will handle like it' on rails... No handling compromises whatsoever. Hell, that ain't no ricer. Nicely done and sweeeet!!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If this is ride is on coilovers, this car will handle like it' on rails... No handling compromises whatsoever. Hell, that ain't no ricer. Nicely done and sweeeet!!!
No. If the suspension geometry is anything like the GR, a drop that low will ruin the handling of the car. Looks fine for drifting, and not much else.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
No. If the suspension geometry is anything like the GR, a drop that low will ruin the handling of the car. Looks fine for drifting, and not much else.
I'm going to say that the car itself is nothing at all like the GR, a drop like that can be corrected for if done properly.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Coil-overs do *nothing* to correct geometry. That's no reason why coilovers would make the car handle any better. In fact, the spring rates and damping would have to be so high that the car would likely be passed by a stock BRZ on the street. Bounciness is NOT good handling.

I'm going to say that the car itself is nothing at all like the GR, a drop like that can be corrected for if done properly.
Rear suspension is the same design as the GR and front is a Macpherson Strut design. That amount of drop can't be compensated for without a lot of work.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
the car is already incredibly low center of gravity, if there was a way to make it much lower without impacting the ride on street you can bet it would have been done.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Aargh. I get why people like this (well... sort of... it's rice to my eye, especially in that color) but dropping it that low probably wrecks the handling that is the core of what makes this car great.
Suspension geometry can always be corrected with aftermarket parts and/or fabrication.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Suspension geometry can always be corrected with aftermarket parts and/or fabrication.
... and how many lowered GR do you know of where this has been done? Some of these problems (like bump steer in the rear) are not easily solved.

The point is... this car as shown has basically no suspension travel. That is not good for handling, regardless of how cool it looks.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
... and how many lowered GR do you know of where this has been done? Some of these problems (like bump steer in the rear) are not easily solved.

The point is... this car as shown has basically no suspension travel. That is not good for handling, regardless of how cool it looks.
The Whiteline Roll Center kit at least restores suspension geometry and mitigates bump steer in the front on a lowered car :tup:

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I know, but it's possible. High end impreza race cars (wrc, gt300, etc.) will have revised suspension geometry and roll center with things like custom tube subframes/cradles, adjustable control arms, links, hubs, etc. I never said it would be cheap.

Slammed cars are not practical though and there's no getting around that. They're cool to look at but not for me - been there, done that.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The Whiteline Roll Center kit at least restores suspension geometry and mitigates bump steer in the front on a lowered car :tup:
...and does nothing for bump-steer in the rear, which was what I referred to.

We are way off topic now, anyway. My point was that a slammed BRZ is about as attractive from a performance perspective as a slammed GR. Perhaps worse, since handling is such a huge part of what seems to be great about this car (rather than power as with the STI.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Handling and power go together.

What's exciting about a slug car that can handle or a go fast ride without handling?

Nothing.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts