IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you "bi-amping" your speakers, that is, shorting the HU's outputs for left front and rear speakers (same for the right speakers) for twice the power? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't think you can bridge a HU's internal amp without have serious issues. Read the owners manual. If it doesn't list "Bridging" don't do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point! I would hope that the outputs have short-circuit protection, and that the HU outputs have a reasobaly high output impedance, in which case it should be okay. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Are you guys talking about bi-amping or bridging?

Bi-amping is when you have componets and send each separate component it's own channel of the amp. Like in my car, each front mid gets it's own channel and each front tweet gets their own channel.

Bridging is when you combine 2 channels of an amp into one for more watts. Like I do for my rear speakers. One side gets 2 channels of the amp bridged together and the same with the other side.

·
Registered
601 Posts
STi S20-SC

You also have to remember when you bridge your amps, you are changing the impedance for each channel. You stock HU is probably not setup to handle a 2ohm load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts