IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the gauge indicate an oil pressure drop if the engine oil level goes down? And, does the sensor for this gauge also go into the oilpan?

:thx:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Not necessarily no. You can be very very low on oil and still see oil pressure. That is why the "idot" light is so useless. By the time it comes on the damage is done. The guage is there to give you a visual that the engine is properly getting oiled. You should still check your levels on a routine basis...:)

Your sending unit for the pressure does not go into the oil pan.

·
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,577 Posts
Sending unit is usually in the oil galley plug (preferred) or the oil filter sandwich adapter (easier to do).

I personally use the gauge to decide when oil is to "operating temp." At idle, a cold engine will be around 100 psi, and when fully warm, around 20 psi :) At cruise (80 in 6th let's say) it's 110-120 psi cold and 80-83 psi fully warm.

That "idiot" light will warn you when you have a catastrophic oil leak (where pressure is lost, FAST) and it'll also warn you when you're about to stall :p

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
Maddad has this nice oil sandwitch adapter for wiring oil press/temp gauges.

I was curious, do the sensors in the adapter have to be replaced every once in a while, is there any maintenance to that or is it install & forget type of mod.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
Peleg said:
Maddad has this nice oil sandwitch adapter for wiring oil press/temp gauges.

I was curious, do the sensors in the adapter have to be replaced every once in a while, is there any maintenance to that or is it install & forget type of mod.
Its a set and forget mod. Well thats is unless you have a sensor go dead on you, then you will not even get readings :)

I have 15K on my setup and i still think it was one of the best mods i have done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts