IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not too long ago, I made a thread asking for a recommendation for a light weight battery, and obviously the first battery that usually comes up is Braille. Did a little bit of research about them, as I need a battery I can use throughout the winter here in Colorado on E85. Now, it's been rumored, and is widely believed that Braille batteries are actually made for them by Deka. Which, if you look on Deka's website they have a series of batteries called Sports Power, and you can find a list of batteries that are made for ATV's, motorcycles, watercrafts & snowmobiles ect. Those batteries just happen to have the exact same weights as the Braille batteries, although there are some differences in their specs. Which would lead me to believe that Braille in fact overrates their batteries as Deka is the company that actually makes them, or is believed to make them.

As a person who runs E85 year round in Colorado, I was most concerned with CCA's (cold cranking amps) as my car will see near 0 temperatures in the winter, and I need it to start on E85 (tougher to start than gasoline in the cold). Anyway, just figured I would make a few comparisons, note all Braille recommendations for 4 cylinder engines:

Braille B106 - 6.6 lbs - 210 CCA's - Only recommend for warm weather racing/not recommending for a daily driver as per Braille.
Deka ETX9 - 6.3 lbs - 120 CCA's

Braille B129 - 9.5 lbs - 323 CCA's - In warm & cold weather only recommend for racing or as a motorcycle/chopper battery/not recommended for daily driven car.
Deka ETX12 - 9.4 lbs - 180 CCA's

Braille B14115 - 11.5 lbs - 360 CCA's - In warm & cold weather only recommend for racing or as a motorcycle/chopper battery/not recommended for daily
Deka ETX14 - 12 lbs - 200 CCA's

Braille B2015 - 15 lbs - 425 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in warm conditions (60-120 degrees), recommended as a race only battery for cold conditions (0-59 degrees).
Deka ETX15 - 14 lbs - 210 CCA's
Deka ETX20L - 15.5 lbs - 270 CCA's

^^^Not sure which Deka battery the Braille is modeled after in the 15 lbs range?!?

Braille B2317 & B2317R - 17 lbs - 475 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in both warm & cold conditions.
Deka ETX16 & ETX16L- 17 lbs - 275 CCA's

^^^Note, these batteries are meant to be used as a set to replace 2 batteries/supply 24V power ect.

Braille B2618 - 18 lbs - 472 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in both warm & cold conditions.
Deka ETX18L - 18 lbs - 330 CCA's

Braille B3121 - 21 lbs - 550 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in both warm & cold conditions.
Deka ETX30L - 21.7 lbs - 365 CCA's

Information pulled from the following:
Braille Battery USA
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0278.pdf

Please note the discrepancies in the CCA's... some are pretty far apart, and if the rumors are correct, and Deka makes batteries for Braille, I would tend to believe Deka's CCA ratings over Braille's, as they actually make them/not just rebadge them. Maybe I'm wrong, and the rumors are incorrect, but if not, please keep this in the back of your mind.

I also tried looking for what our OEM batteries are rated for as far as CCA's, and couldn't find a straight answer. The most common answer was anywhere from 330 CCA's to 400 CCA's, which apparently is well below what what most OEM batteries are rated at (between 500-800 CCA's). If someone know the exact CCA rating of our OEM batteries, please let me know.

Lastly, the weight of our stock batteries, according to The Lightweight Parts Thread is ~32 lbs, and according to AnorexicSTI's thread is 32.0 lbs, so there's definitely some weight to be saved there.

Just made this thread to help anyone considering picking up a lightweight battery in the future, hope it helps someone. Note that if the rumors are true, that obviously Braille batteries are a good bit more expensive, but also come with terminals, whereas you can save money with a Deka, but will have to buy your own terminals.

Hope this helps someone! Have a good one!

-Brandon

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Old thread bump.

I am contemplating buying a small battery for TRACK use in order to free up some under-hood real estate, primarily to fit my new windshield washer reservoir. For TRACK use, will I have any issue with the DEKA ETX12 or 14? Besides needing terminals, is there anything else I need to consider?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Interesting, it does seem they are the same batteries
Braille doesn't use the standard cca rating either

Braille Battery USA &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Lighter • Stronger • Faster - What does CCA mean?
Cold Cranking Amps is a rating used to give an approximation of a battery’s ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the potential starting power of the battery in colder weather. Braille Battery’s are tested using conductance testing which is an approximation of BCI testing. The BCI rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0° Farenheit for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery using a draw down test. Since this type of testing can shorten the life of a battery, Braille’s batteries are individually tested prior to shipping using the conductance method. This method is much faster and less destructive to batteries.
-NOTE: All cranking performance ratings are based on calculations of data collected from conductance testing. For more information about this method, please click here.
Even if the method is better they are still arriving at a calculated CCA which certainly appears inflated.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Old thread bump.

I am contemplating buying a small battery for TRACK use in order to free up some under-hood real estate, primarily to fit my new windshield washer reservoir. For TRACK use, will I have any issue with the DEKA ETX12 or 14? Besides needing terminals, is there anything else I need to consider?
You need to get terminals. Other than, it's just "plug and play". Of course you'll need to get a proper mount for it. I use the ETX20L as a daily driver, so I'd say if it was just for track use, go for the ETX12. I'd go as far as getting ETX9 if you really are only tracking.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
You need to get terminals. Other than, it's just "plug and play". Of course you'll need to get a proper mount for it. I use the ETX20L as a daily driver, so I'd say if it was just for track use, go for the ETX12. I'd go as far as getting ETX9 if you really are only tracking.
My only concern with the ETX12 would be cold mornings at the track. November last year saw temps in the 30's.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Take a trikle charger. If it's only for track, you'll be fine.

I've started the ETX20 in weather below 30 degrees, relocated to the rear with 4 gauge wire. I'm sure if it sits in your engine bay, with the short stock wire, it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Interesting. Well, I am hearing mixed reviews on the small batteries, so I am not sure what direction I am going to take yet.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Get a Miata battery. They're AGM batteries, and quite a bit lighter. I don't know the exact weight off hand.
I ran one on my STi and never had any issues, regardless of the outside temp.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
I've been running a PC680 for close to five years. Works well except if car sits for more than 5 weeks. Stock location.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
I have heard good things about Odyssey, TiC uses one, but I am not sure I can see spending $150 on a part-time battery...

A Miata battery, eh? Interesting idea. Do you still use it?

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Found this place $119 shipped www.SpeedFactoryRacing.net

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have been tring to figure out which way i want to go with this whole thing. I know I want a light weight battery but it seems that the info is sketchy on what is going to work. I live in wisconsin so there is a week or 2 a year where its highs in the 0's. I have done a bunch of reading on and off this site and havent found anything conclusive about how cold you can go with these things.

I dont like the idea of buying a battery just for the track as i am concerned that it wont last sitting in my house 360 days a year. I would also perfer to take advantage of the weight reduction 365 days a year not 5 days a year.

So that had me debating the etx15 vs etx20 leaning toward the etx20l as somethign that MAY possibly work year round. My car doesnt sit more than 2 days between starts so i was hoping that might be adequate for winter.

Then i was thinking, screw it ill jsut get a etx15 and a jump box and just start the car with a jump box all winter if it needs it. I park inside at work so it shouldnt be an issue in a 60 degree garage i assume.

Then i thought maybe i would buy 2 etx 12's run them in parrallel for 360 cca which shoudl be way more than enough for winter. Then jsut pull one for track weekends. That way i don tjsut have a battery sitting around 8 months a year and going to hell. I would still be going from 32 lbs to 19 lbs day to day so a nice decrease with very minimal cca concern.

Anyone in here have any input? I would likely just go etx20 if i knew for a fact it would work year round. But without knowing for sure i am thinking maybe parallel might be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
A Miata battery, eh? Interesting idea. Do you still use it?
Since the STI is no more, the battery is sitting on a shelf in the garage. Haven't yet put it in the RS.
It's an off the shelf pruduct from Shucks-OReiley with a 72mo warranty. I think I paid $90.

Just weighed it, and here are the specs..

21lbs
370 CCA @0*
465 CA @32*

1 - 20 of 169 Posts