IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the middle of trying to decide what stereo system to get on my STi which is coming in 2 weeks. for the people who already have the car, did you get a 1 din or a 2 din stereo? if you got a 1 din, does it look nice with the mouth on the bottom? if you got the 2 din, how is the color matching of the panel and the stereo. if anyone has any opinions, it would be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have a single DIN HU and I think it looks good with the pocket still there. I am planning on gettting the Alpine hard disk system next year, so my little pocket will be going away. As far as color matching, my HU is amber and it does not stand out to bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Of course, just to be different, I went with a 1.3 din size 7897 on the bottom slot, and left the subaru plastic plate in place on the top din. I like it a lot. Second choice was the 9815.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I did the same thing that dyp did but used the Alpine 7998 and kept the pocket instead of the plate. I get more use out of that pocket than I would the plate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow dyp i think that looks nice. i like gforced's idea too. i think i mightdo the same thing and get a 1 din and save up for a hd unit. thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Selling my Silver STi

you could also get a 1 din and get the forester pocket, which has a retractable cover. This cover is the type where you push on it and it releases and swings up. Subaru p/n 66128SA040 The color should match up with the STi dahs perfectly. Also the Forester Turbo in dash changer is really hot looking. http://www.subaru.com/servlet/research?model=FORESTER&trim=25_XT&command=photos

·
Registered
16 Posts
dyp911e said:
Of course, just to be different, I went with a 1.3 din size 7897 on the bottom slot, and left the subaru plastic plate in place on the top din. I like it a lot. Second choice was the 9815.
thx for posting that pic. I'm going to install the same hu in my new sti. What dash kit and wiring harness did you use, if any? And where did you pick it up?

thx,
J

·
Registered
16 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
I did the same thing that dyp did but used the Alpine 7998 and kept the pocket instead of the plate. I get more use out of that pocket than I would the plate.
Could you move the pocket to the top and keep the hu on the bottom? Cuz, if you install the hu on the top, it would make the cupholder useless.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I put in the Alpine IVA C801 inplace of where the silver plate was. I still have the cubby underneath to have a place for the remote.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
NY: '04 WRB/Gold WRX STi

Hey MKIVSupra,

How do you like that HU? That is the one I am looking at and plan on getting next year. Have you seen the matching hard disk unit? Nice install. Will it not fit in the top spot or did you just want it on the bottom?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I like it. The sound field processor is nice, how you can delay the sound to each speaker to put the driver more in the middle. I did not know about the hard disk. It fit ok on top I believe but I think there were issues with the face plate when it is open. Plus if I wanted to put something in the cup holder it would be in the way.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Yeah, it is the HDA-5460. It has a 16 gig hardrive in it. Pretty cool. Supposed to be out around Christmas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Doggone it MKIVSupra,
I wanted that deck, just couldn't justify the extra cash-but now I wish I had just sprung for it. I love the display on that unit. I shouldn't have looked at the pics.

I can't complain though, mine sounds great and is more than loud enough.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I went with a 1-Din because I wanted to hide my laser shifter in the DIN pocket, and maybe one of these days some gauges or a SECS can go in there- or maybe even the Alpine MMDriver unit, which my CDA-9815 can control...

Slightly off-topic... :)

16GB harddrive? Blah- If I ever get that unit to work with my 9815, you can damn sure bet that I will find a way to put a bigger HD in there. My MP3 collection is over 30GB... Oh, no! The RIAA is knocking on my door... :p

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
dyp911e said:
Doggone it MKIVSupra,
I wanted that deck, just couldn't justify the extra cash-but now I wish I had just sprung for it. I love the display on that unit. I shouldn't have looked at the pics.

I can't complain though, mine sounds great and is more than loud enough.
I was not sure if I would like the display or not but it is pretty nice. Real bright. Yours is pretty nice also. I had both on display in front of me to pick from and got a decent deal on the 998 so I went with it.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I am sure they will have additional HD's to purchase after it is released. I am planning on ripping all of my CD's to my HD on my computer and creating some good mixes to copy over to that unit. In case the RIAA is monitoring this site, they are all my CD's, leave me alone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is there an Alpine HU that fits both of the slots nicely? I am looking at starting with the best HU and then getting the speakers next.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts