IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a set of MR coilovers installed. and now, they are making noises, including some popping and squeaking. I checked most of the parts, endlinks, sways bushings, etc...) They all seemed to be okay, so, next step I want to adjust the preload setting and see what happens.
My question is that how low is the "lowest" for the preload to be set? I tried to lower the preload so much that the springs were loose:( . I'm just wondering how low can I set the preload to. how do I know when it is @ ZERO preload?

Thank you!!

-Pui

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
the manual doesn't say anything about setting preload?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T3h_Clap said:
the manual doesn't say anything about setting preload?
It has just the direction on how to adjust it, but it doesn't state other stuff.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When you take the wheels off, tug the coils back and forth. If there's play on them, tighten them until they're snug. Don't put too much pre-load on them cuz they'll get it when you put the wheels back on.

Try that, the noise you're hearing is probably from the coils bouncing around the strut assy., if it's still making noise after you tighten them, try greasing the tops(pillowball). check the 3 bolts up top too, if it's sitting squarely.

CO's will never be as quiet as the macp's, it's metal to metal. GL

...and make sure those locking rings are like what they're supposed to, locked!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have no noises and I set my preload by tightening it untill i had to use a little/medium amount of force to turn the spring with my hands.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got back from adjusting everything...will go for a ride later on.
Keep you guys posted :)
Thanks for the inputs!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I was under the impression that you were only supposed to use as much preload as is necessary to ensure the spring doesn't move.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My Zeal Function-Xs installation manual says that to adjust spring preload. You turn till its tight by hand and that is the '0' setting. And one-half turns from their are the additional preloads. With a maximum of four turns is what they said.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I know that motocross shock springs need about 10mm of zero-weight preload along with appropriate static and race sag measurements. I assume there is a general rule for cars but I dont know what it is.

Anyone?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts