IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven lots of cars in this past year at Auto-X and what I think would help me considerably is to be able to get that little bit of oversteer at the end of tight turns to help me point to the next section better. I'm finding that driving the car a bit hot = lots of lost time.... I've got sways, and front camber plates are gonna be in for next year, but I love the feeling of the S2000 and miatas the way they can bring out the oversteer.... Any thoughts???

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Well, like you said... going in hot means you are gonna be scrubbing a lot of speed and most likely understeering badly, the best ways to negate that is driving better, or around the issue.

You will like what the sway bars do for ya, and the front camber plates will give you a LOT more front grip, thus helping the balance issue.

Besides that you can think about you rear alignment (less negative will help rotation) then your spring rate balance.

I just got RCE springs that have a supposedly high rate in the rear compared to most others so the F to R balance should be nicer, promoting more oversteer, so that should be nice. Plus my rear alignment is at around 0 to -.5
So my next event should be a good experiment of how the car reacts to that, and if I like it.

I plan on making adjust ments with the alignment though, I think I will like -1.0 to -1.5 in the rear (and have my fronts at -2.7 to -3.0 )

Anyway, hope some of that helps :)

(I feel like the car has PLENTY of exit oversteer, just the entry balance I would like to be a bit looser, but then again I dont want it toooooo loose).

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
^^ Well said.

If I can add anything, I'd say go for a thicker sway bar in the rear. I don't know what kind of bars you are running, but thicker sway bar should give you more of oversteer overall.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 25mm rear adj sway, but I get some pretty serious wheel liftage. I think going harder in the rear is just going to make that worse..... I do want some RCE springs, and they are definitely on my list for next year, so I would love to hear how they change your handling after your next event!

Anyone else have any ideas? Perhaps something a bit more drastic such as geometry changes or anything?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ Do you have a FSB, by having the rear with a BIG FSB, may cut down on your wheel lifting.

I have the WL 27-29mm FSB (set to 29) and WL 22-24-26 RSB (set to 24... solid, your 25mm is the hollow cobb bar?)

I dont have any wheel lift issues with my setup... do you left foot brake?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the front and rear 25m hollow cobb bars, and no I don't trailbrake, I've got a really nice feel with the brakes after the ss lines and master cylinder brace, so I usually hammer it down in the brake zone and try and max out my speed around the corner. When I did the evolution school, they weren't trailbraking either. I've heard that it gives our cars more understeer because you are using the front tires to turn + brake instead of all for turn.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Thats odd... I dont ever lift my inside rear. Well, LFB braking doesnt always mean trailbrakingm it can be used to balance the car mid corner, etc... I never do it but anyway.

I still stick to my first post as far as suggestions go.

I think you will REALLY like your turnin if you get a larger FSB (WL 27-29) and getting camber plates on with a proper alignment will be amazing.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
You need some camber plates really badly. You need to tune the front contact patch basically. I've found this to be frick'n tough on my STi. You really have to run a decent amount of static camber with an STi(in the front) to get it to turn well.

There is also a the 6gunRacing ball joint extension kit. It will restore the suspension geometry(on a lowered car) closer to the way the car came from the factory. You will have an increase in dynamic camber. I plan on doing this in conjunction with my ALK.

Steve

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
as andrewss said, drive better.

by going in too hot you're screwed, at least in our cars.

also wheel lift becomes very pronounced with r-comps, i never lifted a wheel with my 255 Rt615s but once i got some 275 V710s i was lifting at every event.

I say get the RCEs and their non lowering front camber plates, getting better front grip will limit the understeer but wont encourage oversteer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts