IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Flycaster said:
Do you have access to a mustang? I'd chip in a few $$ for the pull just to satisfy my curiosity.
Sure just tell me how to make my STi FWD or RWD :lol: XX Tuning has a mustang but it's not AWD.

As for ramp up speed I think nhluhr is confusing a dynapack dyno with a roller based dyno(mustang/dynojet). There is no ramp up. On the dynapack you can just put the car in forth and give it gas starting in forth gear from idle. No ramp up needed. No simulated load or braking needed. The Mustang roller dyno at XX tuning allows for simulated load and other types of testing(1/4 mile run simulations, variable road load etc).

I hate to burst your bubble nuluhr but there is no "masking" of lag on this turbo. The same dyno and the same conditions were used for all dynos referenced in this thread. The correction factor was set to ZERO as it should always be to get at the wheel readings from a dynapack.

Why is it that when ever someone has good results with a project instead of congratulations people come out to disprove it? :confused: If you don't believe it call up XX tuning or come meet me for a ride. Not only will you feel it in the seat of your pants. You can watch the boost gauge on my ECUTEK display.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Flycaster said:
No one here is jerking your chain. We're all just trying to figure out why your set-up, with seemingly nothing radically different, should spool 500-1000 rpms sooner than any other SZ55FB than most (all?) of us have seen before. I've never seen any chart with a slope that close to a Stage 2 with the VF39, not the 20G, nothin' - especially with an industrial sized FMIC like the APS725. My GT30R hits full boost (23 psi) in 4th gear at 3500 rpms (with a smaller I/C), and that is really quick. For a non-ball bearing turbo, all I can say is Wow.

Do you have access to a mustang? I'd chip in a few $$ for the pull just to satisfy my curiosity.
Actually XX did an STI with the revised SR55 that spooled up preaty close to Aspens SZ55. I think the tune can change the spool up based on the way the tuner changes the cams and the timing.

Aspens mods: Deadbolt SZ55, APS DR725 FMIC, PE 850\'s, APS CAI, Cobb Catless Downpipe, Cobb Catback, HKS EVC 2 Boost Controller, Ecutek tuned to 21.5 psi on 93 octane. Blue lines

Robert V's mods: APS SR55, Hyperflow Monster FMIC, Perrin Modded Injectors, XXTuning Header, APS 3.5 inch TBE, Perrin BigMAF, ECUTEK tuned to 22 psi on 93 octane. Red lines

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
For all the non beleivers I have been driving around with my SZ55 on for the past few days tuning myself. The spool up of this turbo is unbeleivable compaired to stock. If it wasnt a little louder you would think is was running the stock turbo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not trying to pick an arguement but before I saw Aspens spool up I though mine was great. I will say that on the street the car just pulls from 3600RPM all the way to redline. Looking at Aspens sheet I can see his SZ55 spooling that fast even if it is the first to do it. I have an older SR55 and my spool up is fine, the revised one is even better and will hold better up top too.

Aspen: Blue lines and Defiantspaz: Red lines

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congratulations on the tune! What is the car like to drive, and is your spool during driving better, the same, or worse then when you got the car tuned. I am not a hater or disbeliever at all because I myself have been tuned on that dyno. My 300 whp and 324 wtq run netted me a [email protected] at englishtown so I know that the power is real. Im really glad I saw this thread because I am about 2 weeks away from buying a turbo from xx-tuning and have a somewhat similar setup to you. Ill let you know how it goes in hopefully like 3 weeks or so. Congrats again and thanks for the comparisons.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Again, I don't think anyone here is trying to put down your numbers, but it simply would be nice to see this on another dyno - preferably a mustang dyno. If you do a little research over on NASIOC, you'll see this spool up is clearly far different from the rest, irrespective of dyno. I hope you understand that is what makes this perplexing, not the fact that you're happy. That, I can understand. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I can only hope for that good of spool with my red.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
12:1 AFRs from 3750 to 4500 just seems way too aggressive for a 'daily driver' running so much boost. You're putting out ~400 tq in that area and running 21lbs of boost on 93 octane. Our cars are the most volumetrically efficient in that area too. I would never run such an AFR on a daily driver with that much power and that much boost. But hey ... what do I know. At least he tapers to 11.5 at redline :rolleyes: (I'm being sarcastic here). This tune is aggressive. Make no mistake. Leaner = meaner only applies when you want maximum power. If you asked for maximum power - cool. Looks like you are getting it. However, I'd have your tuner richen it up. You'll lose some power but you'll gain a lot more reliability. People say that I am conservative in my tuning but hey ... I like to keep the car running all the time and am willing to sacrifice a few horsepower to keep things running for a long time. What are your EGTs at redline when doing a WOT pull in 5th gear?

t

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
PigsSTi said:
Now Now behave everyone, were not Nasioc members Reguardless this is a great post, maybe we can get some Prof Tuners to chime in?
IIRC, PDXTuning tuned one of these (very similar setup) about a month ago - I'll give them a jingle and see what they saw for spool and curves...and if I can get them to send me the chart with the customer's name wiped, I'll post it up.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Here are the two I could find, and I'll call PDX in the morning for theirs. Note the different loading, but relatively similar numbers.

There's just a huge difference in spool up, and it isn't the tune - neither one of these shops is chopped liver.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
WOW. I thought I was set on the 20G..........
now I don't know. these comparisons are just amazing

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
WolfPlayer said:
12:1 AFRs from 3750 to 4500 just seems way too aggressive for a 'daily driver' running so much boost.
Keep in mind those readings are at the tailpipe. It is richer upstream in the engine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hey guys...

Before you launch too far into this, the Dynapak is a VERY different type of dyno with a VERY different load algorithm. It is very poor at simulating the street.

While I do appreciate the SZ55 with the Fatboy wheel, its a nice turbo for sure, there is no sense whatsoever in comparing the spool of a SZ55 on a Dynapak with anything else.

If you want to accurately quantify the spool of a turbo, go log the car in 4th gear on a flat surface.

There is no other way... especially not a Dynapak.

Still... nice numbers... whatever they mean :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tony from XXTuning here:

Since there is alot of confusion on how a Dynapack works, I can offer forum members a chance to see its operation live. March 18th I think is the finalized date for Doug to come up from TopSpeed and there will be alot of forum members at the shop. When all the cars have been tuned at the end of the day I can put an STi on the dyno and have a "Dynapack Open House" if you guys would like. I can do pulls changing gear ratios, ramp up time, using different gears, run length, and anything else people have questions about. I figure this would be the easiest way to see how the dyno works and what happens when the operator changes parameters without speculation from people who have never operated one. If anyone has a bone stock STi, I will give you free dyno pulls in return for using your vehicle as a demontration.

-Tony
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
XXTony said:
Tony from XXTuning here:

Since there is alot of confusion on how a Dynapack works, I can offer forum members a chance to see its operation live. March 18th I think is the finalized date for Doug to come up from TopSpeed and there will be alot of forum members at the shop. When all the cars have been tuned at the end of the day I can put an STi on the dyno and have a "Dynapack Open House" if you guys would like. I can do pulls changing gear ratios, ramp up time, using different gears, run length, and anything else people have questions about. I figure this would be the easiest way to see how the dyno works and what happens when the operator changes parameters without speculation from people who have never operated one. If anyone has a bone stock STi, I will give you free dyno pulls in return for using your vehicle as a demontration.

-Tony
[email protected]
It doesn't get any more stand up than that. Sounds like you have a very nice operation over there.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
RainMaker said:
sure, there is no sense whatsoever in comparing the spool of a SZ55 on a Dynapak with anything else.

Still... nice numbers... whatever they mean :)
Do you realize that every graph I posted is comparing cars on the same dyno??? They were all loaded and run with the same settings. I am not comparing apples to oranges here.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts