IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrote SOA about the detonation problem. Supposedly they have received new information. Here is the email from SOA:

Hello Mr. Schirg:

I have received some new information regarding the detonation concern with the 2004 WRX STi Sedans. It is as follows:
We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding a spark
knock situation that a few STi owners experienced. We found that often the owners who experienced this situation were from areas where they could not purchase 93 or higher octane gas, which is what is recommended for the STi's optimum engine performance and driveability. Our manufacturer, Fuji HeavyIndustries, was able to develop a correction for this situation. It is our understanding that all new vehicles have since been "re-programmed" before they arrive at dealerships, so that this situation will not occur.
Please be assured that Subaru provides a warranty on all of our new vehicles to protect the owner's investment in their vehicle. These warranties cover any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship reported during the applicable warranty period and which occur under normal use. If you experience this or any concerns with your new Subaru, you should take your vehicle back to your Subaru dealership so that they can inspect your Subaru.
Thank you for the opportunity to address this issue.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recieved the EXACT same email today in responce to my detonation concerns.
This is a form letter which is now being sent out.
Must be lots of people writing SOA about this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think Gas is the issue, I dont have to problem at all using the only thing I have out here, 92 Oct. I have been buying Cevron for 15 years, I have never once had any problems with it in my other high compression cars listed below.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lake Superior Pro Rally

I need to disagree with you. I used the same gas from the same gas station in my WRX and never heard it detonate. The STi will, however, detonate on occasion......1-6 pings 4-5k RPM 2nd and 3rd gear and under load.

·
Registered
376 Posts
pinging or mistiming of the pistons can be solved with a bigger intercooler...to my knowledge, if the air entering the cylinder is too hot, it will ignite..or misfire.. even without the spark plug igniting the compressed air fuel mixture. i believe this is why you get pingin or knocking and the mistiming of your pistons....check it out....howstuffworks.com and check out turbos

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
psycho said:
I need to disagree with you. I used the same gas from the same gas station in my WRX and never heard it detonate. The STi will, however, detonate on occasion......1-6 pings 4-5k RPM 2nd and 3rd gear and under load.
that and the fact that people were pinging with even 94... so obviously gas isnt the problem. Unless the gas stations are lying and selling 91 in the place of 94-93?

Robert~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts