IW STi Forum banner

Foglight Prewiring?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  StiBoy 
#1 ·
I noticed poor visibility in a foggy weather condition with HID's. So, I am now looking to get a set of fog lights installed. I do not really want to take the STi fog covers out. Instead, I would like to install small & all-weather tinted (yellowish) fog lights right under the grill so that you cannot really see them normally. (I am going for yellowish lights for improved visibility... function over form.)

I plan to wire the mini fogs to a Subaru fog light switch which will replace one of the blank / dead switch spots next to the intercooler spray button. I noticed that one of these already has some sort of wiring attached to it, which I presumed was the fog light prewiring. (A Subaru fog light switch I ordered fits snuggly into the prewiring socket.) But, when I checked for current / voltage on the harness extension behind the fog light cover, I get 0 Amp / 0 V even with the fog light switch ON + low beam ON. :(

Does anyone know what needs to be done / added / removed to power the existing prewire? The fog light switch itself lights up when turned on, but I see no current on the other end behind the fog light cover. :-?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rich

See less See more
#2 ·
Door panels...

you need the relay to plug into the right side of the fuse box (i think it's the fourth down from top. you can get the relay from the dealer $39.20. i dont have the subaru part # on hand. i found it by writing down the part # of another relay and doing a serch on google using only the number from the existing relay (same as you need), the search only gave 1 result. it was something like "endwrench reference". manchester, new hampshire dealer has one in stock ask for sully, im sure they would be willing to ship it for you. dealers # 603-668-2411. they were stuck with two of them that were special ordered for a wholesale account that didnt need them in after all. you can pm or email me if you have any other questions. i will post part # if i can find it.

ted

#8 ·
if you are going to bypass the factory wires, just wire straight from the switch to a standard $5 bosch relay.

on my toyota truck, even when the factory used a relay for the headlights, i saw a .6 volt increase when i created a new wiring circuit.

the factory wiring is usually thin, like 20-18 gauge. i went and used 12 gauge and saw the increase.

so, if you are going to do that, just remember to use thick wires.

#9 ·
Also keep in mind that the foglights will not illuminate unless the normal headlamps are turned on (with the factory relay config. anyway). Kind of a bummer, as there might be a time when one might want only the fogs on.

Also, the relay goes in the fuse box immediately behind the coin holder, to the left of the steering wheel. Don't put it in the engine bay fuse box, though it will fit in one of the terminals (what?...a friend of mine did that Gomer manuever).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.