IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have a fmic (front mount intercooler) on the vf39 trubo (sti trubo) i've heard mixed things on putting a fmic with that turbo some say it's pushing it too much. So how many of you have a fmic on the 39 and if so hows the car run? and what other mods have you done with it.

Thank You

Mike

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
i wouldn't go with a fmic untill you get an upgraded turbo. Putting an fmic on the stock turbo is going to create extra lag.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i wish more people would ask this more often and then i'd know for sure

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
this is asked all the time, do a search and you will find tons of threads....The bottom line is our turbos are nothing but air pumps. The FMIC wont buy you much beause the stock snail is limited in how much air it can really move. Get some EM and a good exhaust and save the FMIC for a future turbo.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hmmmm.... i'm still not convinced to stay away from the fmic, i've heard the 39 responds pretty well with the fmic.

Mike

·
/////////
8,448 Posts
05stiW said:
hmmmm.... i'm still not convinced to saty away from the fmic, i've heard the 39 responds pretty well with the fmic.

Mike
Let me say this, go ahead and do what you think is right and let us know what happens kk?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
05stiW said:
hmmmm.... i'm still not convinced to saty away from the fmic, i've heard the 39 responds pretty well with the fmic.

Mike
No it doesn't, unless its a smaller FMIC. The small VF39 doesn't produce enough air to fill a large FMIC like Perrin or TurboXS, so this results in extra lag.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can tell you from first hand experience that on the stock turbo you will have a lot of lag without a tune, and I lost boost, only got 14.5 then it got worse, but I had a small crack that turned into a huge crack in my headers so I don't know if that caused the lost of boost. I'm waiting on my headers then will get tuned.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a tune is a must with a fmic i had every intention in tuning it as well.

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
weird thing about this subject is .... some people say its okay to do it & some people say its bad to do it . so im also confused !

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeaaaaaaaaaa maaaaaaaaaaan, there could be alot of supportive people and alot of haters..... hmmmm lol na j/p

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the FMIC is more efficient than the TMIC you SHOULD see a loss of boost pressure. What is important is that with this reduction in pressure and temperature there is an increase in density. Colder intake charges are denser intake charges. That's why I fill my IC sprayer with ice before autocrossing :)

Anyways, if you want to know what kind of lag to expect make an estimate of how much air will be flowing from the turbo then figure out how far it will have to flow. I haven't seen the compressor map for the stock turbo, otherwise I might have started figuring it out. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
After a PROPER tune, you shouldn't notice any extra lag with a FMIC when using the VF39. I know I didn't.

I was thinking about this question the other day, and this post seems like the logical place to ask it...why is it standard practice to put a FMIC on a basic Stg4 WRX (with a VF 22/34/39/23etc) but some people say no to putting it on a STi with a VF39, when we have an extra half liter (unless its an 06 WRX) of displacement to get the air going?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Why would you want to install an FMIC if you're on the stock turbo? It seems like there are more effective modifications for the same amount of money..... like a 20G.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i would never just throw a fmic on my car, A TUNE IS A MUST ON THIS SUBJECT. i think i will be happy with the results, i was just recently reading some info on out tmic and how useless it gets after a couple of drag runs. here are the temp drops... the number on the left is the temp of the air goin in and the numbers on the right are the results after the intercooler has cooled.

1st run 139 110
2nd run 187 140
3rd run 211 197
4th run 245 244

so as you can see after the 3rd run the tmic is almost useless only cooling down the turbo air 1 degree

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

+ ice water = anti heat soak

Also, put ice in the water tank in your trunk and use it between runs.

It's a whole lot cheaper than an FMIC.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
no dont do it

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mykl said:
Why would you want to install an FMIC if you're on the stock turbo?
My reason was heat soak. Where I live, 100+ temps are the norm, and I run a lot of autox's. Even spraying down the TMIC like someone said above didn't always help. Sometimes there wasn't enough times between runs to give the TMIC propper time to cool off. Usually by my 3rd-4th runs I would get some knock due to excessive heat soak. Screw that.

I think I had a pretty damn good reason for putting one on, most people probably put them on stock turbo cars cause they think it slooks really cool. Ok, well admittingly it does look cool. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SCOOB,

how does the meth setup treat ya? i don't kno to much about it and i was interested.

Thank You

Mike

1 - 20 of 54 Posts