IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I on the final stage to reverse intake manifold. Already lowered alternator, manufactured (from teflon sheet) and installed spacers for TB and TGVs. Now need to reroute FMIC pipes. Can do a bunch of silicon couplers straight pipes combos or just weld/solder those pipes together - just need 2-3 connections.

so the question is if an aluminium welding with propane torch is going to be good enough? Has Anybody done that? I don't have MIG/TIG and don't plan to buy one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My understanding is that torch welding aluminum is an older but perfectly acceptable method, although VERY difficult to do neatly/properly. (hence the newer methods of mig and tig).

Why not have someone with a mig or tig make those connections for you? The welds will look a hell of a lot better using those machines.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't need it to be perfect. Just needs to function properly. I've heard that some shop can let you to rent their MIG/TIG... may be a good option for me. Have an idea for a few "small" projects.

p.s. This is my hobby car. I am trying to do all work by myself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
МаксимNYC;4120520 said:
Don't need it to be perfect. Just needs to function properly. I've heard that some shop can let you to rent their MIG/TIG... may be a good option for me. Have an idea for a few "small" projects.

p.s. This is my hobby car. I am trying to do all work by myself.
You can learn MIG or TIG in a few hours, not so much for OAW aluminum. good luck with the project!
(got my mig machine on craigslist, worth it)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am a certified TIG welder so my recommendation is going to be TIG weld them. If you don't have the tools then have someone to do it for you. 3 welds by a professional doesn't change the fact you did all the work on your project car. My. 02

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. Hobart 140 price is less then $1K and it is capable to weld alum. By some reason I thought MIG welders are in $2-3K price range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts