IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok, yes it does not really do much for many people.
But I just came back from a local meet, where an STi individual had a front mount intercooler on her stock turbo. I live in southern Texas. Temps usually range from 94-102 degree's on a day to day basis. Nightfall barely makes it under 90 degree's.

She was telling me that it produced a significant amount of power. She said there is no heatsoak. Now I was thinking...
There is no way it produces more power. But sure, the TMIC probably robs potential power.
I just got protuned last week, and made only 261whp. Made 292wtq on a dynodynamics. In 99 degree heat.

Could investing in a $900 intercooler provide me with more power? Would it be worth the tremendous heatsoak I currently get? (i.e. will I notice a difference)

· Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Why don't you get Alchy injection? It will help better than anything, and will be cheaper than a FMIC, provided you don't plan on upgrading your turbo in the near future. In addition, i'm pretty sure a front mount will still heat soak in slow traffic in 90+ degree heat.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
You will notice a difference. If you are protuned on a FMIC it will eliminate the additional lag that is made between the TMIC and FMIC change. The Injen phantom FMIC was designed for small turbo's, the stock VF39 included.

Wolfplayer is attempting to prove that APS DR525 will be beneficial on the stock turbo as well in respects to lag.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of going with the Perrin FMIC just because my tuner says it slides on like butter. Its also just about as much as the injen, and can hold more power later on down the road. I may go 20g so..Perrin fmic might be right for me.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Illusive said:
you will loose hp and torque if you install one without a tune. I know from first hand experience.

There have been reports that FMIC on the stock turbo untuned resulted in slower times. I recall a thread of an install of the Injen Phantom, who noticed a reduction in power and increased lag without a tune. A tune will quickly fix this and not only make more power, but eliminate heatsoak.

· Registered
572 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
There have been reports that FMIC on the stock turbo untuned resulted in slower times. I recall a thread of an install of the Injen Phantom, who noticed a reduction in power and increased lag without a tune. A tune will quickly fix this and not only make more power, but eliminate heatsoak.
I'm glad you remember my thread. LOL

just goes to show how broke I am, i'm still trying to save up for a ecu and tune. its been like a year :(

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Illusive said:
I'm glad you remember my thread. LOL

just goes to show how broke I am, i'm still trying to save up for a ecu and tune. its been like a year :(
That's right it was you! You seriously need a tune, and everything will be fixed. Save up, I know how it is.

· Registered
162 Posts
i installed one w/the VF39 and lost lots of power and speed. but after the tune, the car was transformed. finished with 313HP and 346TQ to the wheels on 93 pump gas.

You will nake more power for sure but not till after the tune.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
vtec2sti said:
i installed one w/the VF39 and lost lots of power and speed. but after the tune, the car was transformed. finished with 313HP and 346TQ to the wheels on 93 pump gas.

You will nake more power for sure but not till after the tune.

Exactly. With that sized intercooler there will be many benefits, but only after a tune. The stock ECU will adapt, but values to compensate for an intercooler that large can only be done and utilized when properly tuned.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
if you get a fmic for the vf-39, go with a small one like the injen. i wouldn't go w/ the larger ones.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
lokutus1 said:
if you get a fmic for the vf-39, go with a small one like the injen. i wouldn't go w/ the larger ones.
I personally agree, but then again the Injen will be a lot more productive if tuned to compensate the differences.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
yes, a tune is very important to get the most of a new ic whether it's a fmic or tmic.

· Registered
746 Posts
Blaiser said:
loose wtq people say!? i got 365wtq with the vf39 and a DR725, my friend with the stock TMIC with same mods got 350 wtq. just for the info
don't lie blaiser you got one more HP than him and you have equal lengths and the fmic. Also you were boosting more than him.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.