IW STi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't post much, but I would recommend you checkout the video that Flatirons Tuning did recently on the Subaru Cooling system (posted below). Looking at the picture of your engine bay, it looks like you using 2 high pressure (likely 2-way valve) radiator caps. Apparently Subaru don't like that configuration much. Based on what Flatirons said/experience is one of their guys runs a 1.1 bar cap on the expansion tank and 1.3 bar on the radiator and has had zero issues.
Good catch.

Yes, OP, also get rid of the caps and go back to stock....

If you need higher coolant pressures to prevent boiling/cavitation, you have other issues to address and caps will not fix it. If you bought them for the "bling" or because "aftermarket has to be more better," then you'll want to re-evaluate....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I doubt the caps are causing an issue but yeah it should be just a regular cap on the radiator, and a "radiator cap" on the expansion tank. I bet that Mishi radiator is fine too.
"doubt" = don't know, just guessing. The caps are an issue.

"bet" = don't know, just guessing. Mishimoto radiators are not good. They're higher volume, which people mistake as being "better." When they actually heat soak/are asked to do work they can't...for most people the higher volume can help "damp" the temp peaks (ie, do a couple highway pulls and the car won't over heat simply because there is more coolant). In reality the thermal efficiency is worse than stock. You won't see their radiators on competitive track cars....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts