IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have approx 4600 miles on her, and have not installed any mods.
for the first time i am noticing an awkward noise which sounds like it is turbo related.
it usually occurs around the 4000 rpm range in 3rd gear or slightly less in 4th gear.
as i hear the turbo spooling up, all sems to be fine until i hit this point where i hear a fluttering sound. hard to describe, but it sounds similair to spooling up just louder and harsher.

i can get it to happen consistently if i hold the rpm's at the right point, but idk what is causing it or "exactly" where it is coming from.
in neutral @ idle iwasn't able to hear it.

i'll probably take the car to the dealer on monday, but i was just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the situation

·
Registered
478 Posts
My STi had a stuck fuel injector at 1050 miles and flooded the engine. :evil: Ever since then, I've been 'noise paranoid' because my car hasn't really felt the same since.

I also have the 'fluttery' turbo sound. I was going to post about it soon and I was going to describe it the same way (same word to describe it). I noticed that mine is related to the amount of boost, not RPM. It happens roughly between 0 and .05 mPa on my factory boost guage. At high boost it goes away.

I was wondering if it could be related to the engine adjusting the valve timing as the boost increases.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
windmill:
i believe it is more closely related to the amount of boost rather than rpm's.
i do not have the boost gauge, so i was trying ot remember @ which point i could hear it in 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears.
it sounds like we have the same issue.
hopefully, my dealer will have a chance to look at it tomorrow

·
Registered
478 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
windmill:
i believe it is more closely related to the amount of boost rather than rpm's.
i do not have the boost gauge, so i was trying ot remember @ which point i could hear it in 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears.
it sounds like we have the same issue.
hopefully, my dealer will have a chance to look at it tomorrow
Keep me posted on what they tell you. I know two other people who own STi's and I don't ever remember hearing the flutter in their car, and their cars idle a lot smoother than mine, too. I hope they don't find anything serious.

·
Registered
112 Posts
it's normal
waste gate flutter noise

low rpm, high gear, high throttle
car is a a lot of load, u get a lot of boost, but u don't use all of them, wastegate bleeds it out

for god's sake, get back to lower gear, high rpm, the sti ain't a car for saving gas mileage :wink:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a new noise though, hasn't always been there.
it usually picks up as i approach higher boost levels.
the noise builds as the turbo spools more.
i hope i am explaining this right

·
Registered
112 Posts
pure stock? not even taking the silencer out?
coz without the silencer, the car has lots of weird ass noises

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah, that flutter sound had me worried too but I spoke with some experienced Suby reps and they said that this was normal to hear of such sounds due to the DOHC on the car. I even had both of the mechanics from different dealerships come along for a ride. They noticed that is more a engine sound then turbo sound but regardless, that this was normal because this is a race/sports car and more noise sound would be normal as the car gets older.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Vader2k said:
Yeah, that flutter sound had me worried too but I spoke with some experienced Suby reps and they said that this was normal to hear of such sounds due to the DOHC on the car. I even had both of the mechanics from different dealerships come along for a ride. They noticed that is more a engine sound then turbo sound but regardless, that this was normal because this is a race/sports car and more noise sound would be normal as the car gets older.
The only time I heard flutter was when my car was new and I was shifting real early. Like from 3k to 4k, so the RPMs would dip low.

-st

·
Registered
146 Posts
RockBlocker Installer

To me it's almost like a ticking sound. I get it in 1st, 2nd & 3rd at low RPM's. If you hear anything let me know.

·
Registered
542 Posts
To me it's almost like a ticking sound. I get it in 1st, 2nd & 3rd at low RPM's. If you hear anything let me know.
.. yeah, its really hard to describe the sound. Its sounds like a fluttering sound but yet, it almost sounds like a ticking sound as you go through your lower gears... but I agree with you, 1st through 3rd gears I tend to notice the sound more as I increase my rpms.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just developed a similar noise, highpitch sucking sound with ticking pulsations. I have a CAI and othermods but this is new and is boost related.Happens at full throttle and abouve 10 psi. Sounds like the normal spool but thengets louder. It kinda sounds like when a impeller fin gets bent. Any one find out what this is? And no its not normal

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just developed a similar noise, highpitch sucking sound with ticking pulsations. I have a CAI and othermods but this is new and is boost related.Happens at full throttle and abouve 10 psi. Sounds like the normal spool but thengets louder. It kinda sounds like when a impeller fin gets bent. Any one find out what this is? And no its not normal

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
OR. Factory boost gauge; For Sale

i had to replace header gaskets after i got my headers installed...it made a similar sound. is this sound occurring at idle? do you hear it under the hood or only when driving? what kind of gas? i've heard the sti pings in the rpm range that was spoke of. Maybe higher octane (race fuel additive) would help? torco makes a good one...i run every other tank...with ultra 94...the claim on ten gallons i'm runnin 110 octane...car runs really good like that! :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Front left tweeter buzzing and hissing, how to fix?

My sound was only heard above 10 psi while driving. I cked for
a exhaust leak at idle but could not hear any. After I removed the
hedder to uppipe gasket I found a carbon trail on it. After replacing it and retorquing the hedder to block the noise was goan.
This was strange to me as it did not sound like any exhaust leak
I haver heard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts