IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for...

Does the tune for E85 respond to the mix of fuel in the tank? For example if I have half a tank of 93, then top off with E85 is it smart enough to know that and adjust accordingly?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can install a flex fuel ethanol sensor kit. This will read the amount of ethanol/gas in your tank and allow your ECU to adjust accordingly. You need to be tuned of course, but it will allow you to do what you asked in your post.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
What you need is this:

And a Pro-Tune. The ethanol sensor is in the fuel return line and the ECU know the ethanol content and sets boost, A/F and timing based on the %.

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
You might need injectors and pump for the increase in fuel, and the tune will cost more than a std tune - maybe almost 2x or $1K

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
You will need a flex fuel kit that has the ethanol sensor in it. You will also need to upgrade your fuel pump and fuel injectors to run E85. Of course all this goes without saying that you will need to have the car protuned for all these mods. E85 tunes are more expensive than 93oct tunes. Ive even herd of some tuners charging 1K for a flex fuel tunes which i think is pretty rediculous considering regular tunes are around $500 now a days.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Well if you think about it you're basically tuning the car 2x when you do flex. Once for pump and again for ethanol. Then you have to set up everything in the in the flex fuel system to work properly. So it does take quite a bit of time. However, there's an efficiency that comes with experience so the ethanol side of the tune doesn't usually take as long. And if you're familiar with the flex fuel setup and map switching for live tuning it goes pretty quickly. We don't have have fixed pricing for any in person dyno tunes but I don't think we've ever charged $1000 for a flex fuel dyno tune.

You will need a flex fuel kit that has the ethanol sensor in it. You will also need to upgrade your fuel pump and fuel injectors to run E85. Of course all this goes without saying that you will need to have the car protuned for all these mods. E85 tunes are more expensive than 93oct tunes. Ive even herd of some tuners charging 1K for a flex fuel tunes which i think is pretty rediculous considering regular tunes are around $500 now a days.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well if you think about it you're basically tuning the car 2x when you do flex. Once for pump and again for ethanol. Then you have to set up everything in the in the flex fuel system to work properly. So it does take quite a bit of time. However, there's an efficiency that comes with experience so the ethanol side of the tune doesn't usually take as long. And if you're familiar with the flex fuel setup and map switching for live tuning it goes pretty quickly. We don't have have fixed pricing for any in person dyno tunes but I don't think we've ever charged $1000 for a flex fuel dyno tune.
Glad to see someone dyno pricing according to every situation. Some cars may need the work and then there are others that are ready to go. But yes believe it or not there are 1K flex tunes. I get it, its a business and people want the best but sheeesh lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts