IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using Cobbs FFS setting? The info on what it actually does is a little vague but it appears to drop only to a pre-determined RPM value to keep the turbo spooled, is that correct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm curious who uses this and peoples views about if this feature is safe or does it cause excess wear (to the point of concern).

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
To my knowledge, FFS is... not optimal for the health of your clutch, transmission, and engine...
But its just hearsay from me as I've never used it but I can tell you my car does not like it when I manually replicate what FFS does...

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's a simple fuel cut. Keeps your throttle plate open while shifting so that you don't loose all the turbo spool.

If you shift properly there really shouldn't be any harm to your trans or clutch. I've done it a few times on long auto x launches and a couple times at the track (no point imo)

As for engine damage, I've been under the impression that if no fuel is being injected=no burn=no lean condition = no knock =safe (ish)...if that's wrong maybe someone with more tuning/building experience can chime in.

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
My shifts become smoother when I use FFS.

If you're shifting fast enough, it's not really any different than normal shifting, except that it cuts fuel while the throttle body stays open, which stops the boost from dropping into vacuum.

The hardest part for me is fighting the urge to lift off the throttle. It's cause me to miss 4th gear a few times because of this (screws with my timing). Launch Control, which I also use, is far more harsh on the car.

Here's me using LC/FFS and missing 4th gear (and coasting).

·
Registered
360 Posts
ive read that ffs and launch control is bad for your car. i have both but rarely use them. only time ive really used launch control is to wake up my friend by his window lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe that it's understood that Cobb AP uses fuel cut for its Flat Foot Shift and Launch Control features.
After seeing 3-4 forum users bomb their new motors admittedly using the AP LC, No thanks.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that it's understood that Cobb AP uses fuel cut for its Flat Foot Shift and Launch Control features.
After seeing 3-4 forum users bomb their new motors admittedly using the AP LC, No thanks.
Yep, not interested in the launch control but the FFS seems like a good idea on paper.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Cobb's own post:

.** Please note that using Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift (LC/FFS) can be abusive to the engine, clutch, transmission, axles and differentials. If you are willing to accept these risks, read on!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, on paper.. It looks like the FFS can be set to drop to the RPM of your choice, I would set that about 4k +/- which may be less abusive but again, it just may be a waste for normal track driving. OTOH, may add to the fun if it worked well... time will tell.

·
Banned
182 Posts
from what ive gathered the way the cobb ffs works its more detrimental to the engine compared to the way the ecutek ffs works. I tried it once with mine on cobb but didn't really see much use for it especially the trade off.
We have been REALLY happy with the Lachute Performance EcuTek Flat Foot Shifting feature. It has always been silky smooth and rather non-violent. It did take some getting used to, but so far, we have not had any concerns after the thousands of street miles and very hard track miles with our pro-drivers.

Our rev-matching feature also worked surprisingly well! With all this newer technology, it's amazing how it takes some adjustment in muscle memory to cater to the new tune features.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I was driving a friends built sti and the conversations of FFS came up that he tried it. On the way home I launched it hard along with FFS, I must say I was very impressed, did a 1-4 and walked away with a huge smile on my face.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't wrap my head around what actuates the ECU to hold RPM, is it the clutch depression combined with WOT?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts