IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 STI has about 120k miles. Recently have been seeing the speed stop registering speed (and not accumulating miles) for very short periods, usually just as or shortly after I start driving. Always eventually comes back on, and I don't recall seeing it drop out after the car has been running for some time. The backlight stays on, that is the numbers are still visible in the trip area, but the speed needle drops to zero. The tach is not affected.

Can someone tell me how this is powered and where the signal comes from?

Things with a slight chance of being involved:
There is an olive tree here and I have found olives and pits in the engine compartment (top of alternator, for instance) where they cannot possibly have fallen into, so there could have been rodents. But I don't see any wiring damage.
Car has had engine out twice in three years, first was head gaskets and second was rebuild. Connector?
There seems like there may be an issue at the OBD-II connector, as my bluetooth dongle has quit working, though my code reader seems to function.
Thanks for any feedback!

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Don't know what the cause or fix it. My 05 does this - I think mostly in wet conditions. If it persisted, I'd fix it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for comment, anyone else had this? Mine is still doing it, now occasionally while on freeway. In fact I think it's knocking the car off of cruise control, I'll get a sort of bump /fore-aft motion and the cruise cuts out, and the cruise light starts blinking like what it does when it's setting a code. However in this case it's not setting any codes. So I am guessing that the speed data is getting interrupted, which causes it to exit cruise. I have to cycle the ignition to get it to resume cruise.
Getting pretty annoying, I'd like to have more info to take to a shop to have them diagnose. Only codes it's setting are occasional low idle 0502 which is another problem altogether I think.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
I think it's knocking the car off of cruise control, I'll get a sort of bump /fore-aft motion and the cruise cuts out, and the cruise light starts blinking like what it does when it's setting a code. However in this case it's not setting any codes. So I am guessing that the speed data is getting interrupted, which causes it to exit cruise. I have to cycle the ignition to get it to resume cruise.

Feeling the bump and having the car go into limp mode is an issue that needs to be rectified. I'd go easy on it (or not drive it) till you know that you can disregard it or it's been taken care of.

I don't think the speedometer issue is related. Pretty sure it's would not be in an 05. Your is 06 so a double check. is warranted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have a low idle problem that has gotten more and more common, which is the ONLY code it is setting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts