IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first time to a road course ever and I went with my STi to boot :). All I can is simply AWESOME ... MOST fun I have EVER had in a car. I was really tossing the STi around the corners with some nice tail action etc...

Only ran about 3 4-5 lap sessions but it was enough to wear me out pretty well. Was there with a few other STis, WRXs and an EVO. The EVO beat me by 1 second. He (pace) ran a 1.20 second lap to my 1.21, but considering this was his 3rd or 4th time out and he was running a boost controller (18psi to redline) vs me with 13-14psi by redline I can't complain :).

For reference for those who know the track I ran a 1:21 and anohter STi there in our group ran a 1:21 as well. Temps were in the mid 70s I was running 92 octane and I saw absolutely NO knock on the knocklink as well (mods include 3/16" and intake silencer hack).

I can't express enough how much fun it really was today. I would HIGLY recommend it to anyone who has the ability to go... it is a very fun/good way to explore the limits of your car :). The sight of an EVO and STi going neck and neck was a sight I never dreamed I would see in the states... that made the whole day seeing them run against each other :p.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I knew you would be hooked the first time you tried it. The car is truly awesome. Compared to my modified WRX, the overall balance of the STi is SO much better.

It's a blast to make an WRX with an EJ20 scream at the strip, but there is no substitute for flinging your car around the track (and occasionally off it ;) ).

It was awesome to have the EVO and a couple other STi's out there. You're right - I never thought that I would have the opportunity to see it in the land of Camaro vs. Mustang.

I'm sure I'll see you out there again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the HONOR of riding the track with both of these guys yesterday and, frankly, it sealed the deal on the STi for me. I was tossing back and forth between the EVO and STi and a couple of other non performance oriented rides, but after the trip to the track today, my mind is made up.

Thanks for the good times, Dave and Paul.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I must say that the STi is simply amazing out at that track. I've ran a 1.19 with Kamikaze not coned down (just a test and tune day), and a 1.21 with it Coned down (Solo Trials, where I kicked some Vette booty :)).

Next Solo Trials at SCR is November 2nd, you should come and cheer me on when I try and get past that pesky BMW E46 (On Hoosiers, no less)...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just for the record, it was my first time in the EVO at Second Creek, and my second time in any car at this particular track. I was looking at the SCCA timesheet that David referred me to, and it looks like our little four door 'econoboxes' own the 'Vettes. :)

I also noted some guy at the track in a red M3. He waved me past after a few laps of me hounding him in the turns. Afterward, somebody was giving props to the M3 as one of the quicker cars that runs out there so I was pretty pleased with how my car kept up.

One thing I did note: On aggressive street runs, I have had no problems inducing oversteer in the EVO. However, I battled massive understeer at the track until I made a significant adjustment in my driving style. I used to trail brake the WRX a lot, and the relatively soft suspension would provide enough weight transfer to cause the rear end to pendulum. That approach had no positve effect whatsoever with the EVO, and I finally figured that it was aggravating the understeer (too much front brake bias?). I abandoned the early turn-in approach, and instead used a hard stab at the brakes to setup the attitude of the car, and at that point I pretty much knocked 3 seconds off my EVO laptimes, and ended up running about 2 seconds quicker than my best WRX time.

Cheers.
-Pace

p.s Stock boost for the EVO at this altitude is 18psi. The BC just allows me to carry this through to redline a little better. If the last time I followed Dave's STi is any indication, I still can't hang with it on the straights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I abandoned the early turn-in approach, and instead used a hard stab at the brakes to setup the attitude of the car
Interesting. I did the same thing. I started turning in much later & was able to find the lines through the corners. Specifically, I saw quite an improvement going through Turn 1 using this method.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the STi and EVO are both setup stiff enough such that there is not such a profound weight transfer, and thus trail braking is less effective. :-?

-Pace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts