IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be buying my first car sometime next month in August. That means I am going to need car insurance.

1 -- Is there any place in particular I should look into for car insurance the first time?
2 -- Is there anything I should find out when I talk to company? I was told to see if there is an estimate they can give.
3 -- Any other info that I need to know?
4 -- I already graduated from college, so I know I can't get anything if I am student if there is discount for that. I don't do anything like fireman/EMT/similar to see if there's a discount. I guess I would have to see what discounts they give to see if I am able to get them.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Look at your major brands first, i.e. Geico. You can get a quote online.

Assuming you're young and living with your parents, find out what insurance your parents have. You may get a multi-car discount if you go with their company.

I don't know what vehicle you have, but I'm guessing it's a newer Subaru and being financed/leased, so I would get full coverage. If you have an older POS vehicle, you can save money by getting coverage for certain items (i.e. liability, comprehensive) and no coverage for others (collision).

Check the prices on COMPARABLE insurances. Meaning don't get a quote from one company with a $1,000 deductible, then another with a $300 deductible.

Speaking of which: Make sure that when you get a quote that you have at least the minimum coverage required by your state laws and tailor your plan to how much you want your deductibles to be.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
For a great low rate you can get online, go to the general and save some time! Nah don't, that's more for ppl with DWIs or too many tickets etc. No offense to anyone that has it, that's just what I've understood.

Read the policy you're getting like the poster said above. Full coverage is a good idea even if you're buying outright. If you're financing, the bank is going to make you get full coverage. Look into gap insurance. If the insured value of your car is say 20k and you still owe say 24k, if you total the car without gap insurance you'll be without a car or down payment PLUS still have to find a way to pay back that 4 grand on top of trying to get back on your feet. No good.

As the other poster mentioned, don't skip over uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance. If your state doesn't require lots of liability insurance, you might otherwise get screwed. Suppose some joker causes a 6 car pileup on the freeway. Even if he had $100,000 liability insurance, chances are at least several of those cars are 20-40k. The 100k runs out in a hurry and some of you in said wreck might get screwed out of being paid by that guys insurance company even if he had the minimum legally required by law.

You can consider a high deductible like$1000 to save some money. Get the company to quote you the difference. Get the higher deductible one, then "pay yourself"the difference. If you avoid accidents then eventually that adds up and anything after that is just savings. Just be sure you could pay that $1000 out of pocket if you were involved in a crash (or hailstorm, theft, etc) tmrw.

You can also save by paying once or twice a year instead of monthly. Ask what other discounts, there's all sorts of them. Good student, good driver, sensitive caring lover, etc

·
Registered
532 Posts
How old are you is the question.....my friends stepson was 22 bought a 14 WRX and was paying 300+ a month for full coverage. Check before you buy:)

I'm 41 and this damn STI more than doubled my rate.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
I highly highly recommend an agent that sells insurance from multiple companies. I purchase insurance once a year and pretty much every year it goes up, so every year my agent gets quotes from several different other insurance companies and I go with the one that is the cheapest while offering the same amount of coverage. It's funny because I had Safeco for a couple of years, they raised their rates one year 20%, went with another insurance company, they raised their rates after a year or two, went to Travelers, they raised their rates after the first year but were still the cheapest then they just quoted me for my next year (my policy renews in August) and they raised their rates 20%. So my agent searches policies and guess who has the cheapest rate? Safeco.

So now I'm back with Safeco and I will pretty much bet that either next year or the year after I will be with a different insurance company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts