IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the first snow here in northern VA... anyone crazy drive their STi with stock tires on the roads last night? i'm getting mine before christmas and if the stock tires can hold for another week that'd be great, otherwise i'm gonna be purchasing tires the same day i take delivery of the car. It's not a matter of money, just sacrifice. I have the money, but if i could just save it and buy my parents a gift instead, it'd be better =] priorities! so.. the longer i hold on with the stocks the better but we all know its horrible in the snow... but just how horrible?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Earlier this week we got 1" of snow overnite when it was supposed to just rain. At 8:00am I took my kid to school and then on to work. The school parking lot was covered with about 1" of slush. I got wheelspin from idle in 1st. I slid in the parking lot at work which was 1" fresh snow. The roads had already been scraped clean so no problems there as they were just wet. All I know is I really need my winter wheels. Luckly they just shipped and I should have them next week.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We had about 3 inches a week ago and I took my stock Sti out on it. Snow is still kind of rare for us, a few times a year but the Sti was by far the most stable car I have ever driven in it period, even ove the FWD Hondas I have owned with normal tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was just out in NJ, summer tires, mostly slush, but 1" snow in lots and left turn lanes.

With diff in full lock, it handles it under power quite nicely (I gave it a bit too much gas to check it out). However, Auto diff setting feels somewhat unstable to me.

Stopping is of course a problem - ABS kicks in pretty quick, but it worked. Obviously not enough snow for a full test. Anxious to hear other experiences with more snow.

Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just went out with the stock tires. Please people do not drive on these tires. I actually have an appointment @ 3:30 to get my snow tires on :D so I am very lucky. We have about 3 inches already and l was all over the road.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh wow ok.. hmm well i'm coming from a 2001 civic ex with tires almost bald... i think its bad but not too bad... so i'm guessing a stock STi would be at least a little bit better than my current car

·
Registered
983 Posts
choonzAWR, i was crazy enough to drive my sti in the snow with stock tires this morning, tho i couldn't drive aggressively with the stock tires, but it was still very fun. i had about 5 inches here in maryland.

·
Registered
983 Posts
btw, i'd been driving my integer in the snow with summer tires every winter, even in last year's biggest snow storm. i lost control in the neighborhood that time when i just lightly tapped on the brake, luckily i was driving extremely slow and there were no cars around, so the car just slided sideway and lightly hit a curb. it was just a minor scratch on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
131 Posts
NDMac,
You wouldn't be located in the Overlea area, would you? I saw a WRB/Gold STi this morning cruising around while I was shovelling snow. I saw the same car shoot across Belair Rd. onto Northern Pkwy the other morning.
BTW, I drove my STi on stock wheels/tires today. No probs at all. The tires spun a couple times in the snow on a hill, but if I kept the gas on the car would sort it out and get going. I left the diff. on auto.
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am also in N.VA. and took my STi out this morning in about 4 inches of snow. I had my Blizzaks LM-22s mounted on my BBS wheels a couple weeks ago. It did great in the snow and slush. Never felt any sliding and gave me alot of confidence driving in the snow. This is my first AWD car and I am really amazed about the control in the snow :lol:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Big risk driving on snow with the stock tyres. I had to try them out Nov 2 by accident. I was on the other side of the mountain from home and there was an unexpected storm. I live on the wet, but warm side of Oregon. No fun at all on an icy patch. If you were to have an accident your insurance carrier could claim that you were responsible because you knowingly were on 3 season tyres in the snow and deny the claim. Not a big hit for a bent wheel, but imagine an injury accident?

Much as I hate the idea, you might consider one of the cheaper snow tyres and float the purchase on a credit card for a few months. Sign up for one of the teaser rates and pay it off as fast as you can.

Oh, a new stock wheel is $800 to $900...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm planning on some winter wheels/tires, but I haven't even had the car 2 weeks. Still getting everything sorted out. The wife isn't happy that I have to put a stereo in a $30k car or floormats for that matter. I've been keeping the winter wheel/tire thing on the down low....shhhh :wink:
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
What material is are the STI seats made out of?

Luckily I watched the forcast, and put on my snows (Wintersport M2's) before my trip (I was at the Performance Racing Industry trade show in Indy, came home early to beat the expected 12" of snow!!). So I just drove home from the airport - fantastic!!! My first AWD experience in snow - just amazing. On an un-plowed road, stopped at an uphill light...no problem, climbs right up with minimal spin. I had to brake fairly hard to get the ABS to kick in, and it is very neutral in fast turns (I was at 50-50 lock). Sure with enough throttle it'll drift, but overall great. Now the downside...my poor STi is covered in sand and salt. I won't sleep well tonight knowing how dirty she is...

·
Registered
109 Posts
JerseySTi said:
I just went out with the stock tires. Please people do not drive on these tires. I actually have an appointment @ 3:30 to get my snow tires on :D so I am very lucky. We have about 3 inches already and l was all over the road.
No doubt. I just took delivery of my STi and drove it home in the snowstorm. Acceleration had to be VERY slow and I couldn't touch the breaks at all or I would slide, I had to slow down with the trans only, not good but I made it home. A set of wheels and winter tires are priority #1.

For as bad as it was, I traded in my '01 Camaro SS for the STi and that wouldn't have gone a mile in that snow :D .

·
Registered
109 Posts
fledis said:
.....The wife isn't happy that I have to put a stereo in a $30k car or floormats for that matter......
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold
I hear ya man! I'm in the same boat. At least I got the dealer to throw in the floormats for free 8) .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tire Rack ASA K3 wheels and Dunlolp Wintersport M2 tires...1200. They run about 600 each per set but ordered together they come installed and balanced. I recommend highly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm looking at the Rage Breakers w/ Hankook W404's. Total price mounted and balanced....$901. Does anyone have experience w/ these wheels/tires?
Thanks.
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
343 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
my poor STi is covered in sand and salt. I won't sleep well tonight knowing how dirty she is...
Gald to see others with the sickness. 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I only saw one post (besides mine) that mentioned the diff setting used - are you all running on Auto in the snow?

As I mentioned, Auto felt pretty unstable (stock tires), and the car seems to do something that could be called "sleppering" I guess ;-). :D

Seemed better on Manual/Full Lock. Anybody else?

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
I only saw one post (besides mine) that mentioned the diff setting used - are you all running on Auto in the snow?

As I mentioned, Auto felt pretty unstable (stock tires), and the car seems to do something that could be called "sleppering" I guess ;-). :D

Seemed better on Manual/Full Lock. Anybody else?

Chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts