IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minor question:

I've changed the oil/filter, let it set overnight and topped it off yesterday morning to where the level is just at the dot on the side of the dipstick with the writing.

This morning the level is still on the dot on the side with writing, but on the other side of the stick the level appears to be closer to the notch.

Question: Which is the correct level, writing side, or the other?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is a really good question... This is the only car I've ever owned that when checking the oil, 9/10 times I'll get two different readings. Meaning both sides of the dip-stick tell me something different...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
These motors don't like too much oil - they'll smoke more if you overfill them. I simply use whichever side reads highest (sorry, but I can't recall which one it is for me), and keep it between the dot and "F" (engine completely cold). Just check it every few days before you fire it up for the first time - it's the easiest way to get consistent reads.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
make sure you check your oil when the motor is fairly warm. the oil will expand when it gets hot. i usually check it a few minutes after i shut her down. the oil level for me is usually pretty level when i do it this way too.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a hole for cold levels, and a notch for warm levels. I usually try to get in my garage after its been sitting for the night for consistent reading.

I'm just wondering why the two sides give different readings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts