IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

:confused: Was considering to change the motor oil in my new STI (3000 miles) myself ...

Any suggestions / tips / warnings ... etc ??

Had always done so in my other cars ... but never in a Turbo ... or a "Performance car" for that matter...

Was considering my local dealership .... but kinda think they may do a sloppy job or a rushed one ... heard many a horror story in regards to such matters...

Thanks, D :banana:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
eek, i hope you did one at a 1000 miles also.

tips though:

1. the oil comes out fast be ready.
2. the bolt is a 17mm.
3. make sure the filter is on hand tight.
4. dont change it when the car was just driven. let it cool down but not all way.
5. also dont do it when the car is cold, let it run for a few.
6. have fun, the first one is always the hardest.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
changing oil on a "performance" or "turbo" car is the same thing as every other car, just maybe not the same oil. my tip is to not strip the bolt for the drain plug, i did and it led to some problems.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
herrjr said:
Don't use synthetic oil yet. Stick to regular for the time being.
y not use syn? i used syn at 1000 miles

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
reeksti said:
y not use syn? i used syn at 1000 miles
+1, swapped the stock oil at 1200 miles and onto Mobil 1 5W-30 full syn.

If you look at the manual, well at least for the 04's it says you can use full synthetic oil, but you still need to change it on time.

You can probably push it a lil bit more though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
VtecSTI said:
i hope i'm not highjacking..but i didn't change my oil till 3k and my car is running just fine:)
No reason to change the oil more frequently than detailed in the owners manual nor is there a reson to not use synthetic oil. Use it if you want. I did and everything is running great.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
i thought you were supposed to change it at 1000 then 3k after that according to the manual. maybe it doesnt say that though. either way its not a big deal.

i like to change mine ever 2500 either way though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
you can put synthetic oil at any time. i did my first oil change at 1500 not going past 4k rpm, 2nd at 3k, then every 3k after. it brakes it in better. the first thousand miles or so are the most critical and the car needs to be broken in smoothly.

·
Drive True
6,829 Posts
Go by schedule 2 unless all you do is highway driving.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
No reason to not follow the guidelines outlined in the service manual. Changing the oil that came from the manufacturer at 1K miles is a waste and not advised. The oil that comes from the manufacturer has compounds in it to "break in" the motor. I don't understand why people feel the need to follow their own service guidelines. I would like to think the engineers at Subaru of America know their car more than the consumer.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
get a fumoto valve while you're at it. makes later changes even easier. :tup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
520hpSTi said:
i thought you were supposed to change it at 1000 then 3k after that according to the manual. maybe it doesnt say that though. either way its not a big deal.

i like to change mine ever 2500 either way though.
i'm pretty sure the manual says first oil chang at 3,000 then every 7500 miles. i'm sure of the 7,500 not sure about the 3,000.

i had mine done at 3,000 and every 3,000. I have about 18,000 miles on my car without incident (knock on wood)

but i think frequency of the first oilchange comes down to the same "break in hard or soft" procedures (baby it or drive it normal).

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
ah i see, thanks for clearing that up.

but at 7500miles, wiht some of the consumption some of us see, there would be no oil left, or you would ahve added alot along the way.

either way i think 3k miles is adequate and i wouldnt go past 3k IMO.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts