IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thx for the feedback

I just finished breaking the car in at 1,000 miles and brought it to the dealer to have the oil changed.

At that point it was about 1,200 and I had noticed that the oil level was at the lowest notch.

When he did the change he came to ask me if I'd added anything to the engine because it was a funny color and "very, very thin."

I told him the only thing I had added the other day was 500mLs of 10w40 cause it was low, and I knew I was bringing it to the dealer the next day.

Has anyone else seen this at all?

In the end, they said perhaps it was factory engine break-in oil? but that sounded weird cause then they would have seen it before and would not have had to ask me about it.

Car seems to run fine, always has, but if anyone knows or has experienced something similar, give a shout.

Thanks,

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The oil that they suggest you use, atleast down here in Texas, is like 5W-30, which is a very thin oil. I decided I wanted to watch the guy work on my second oil change at 2,000 miles ( I change my oil often during breakin due to free floating, breakin metal fibers ). As he was emptying the pan of all the old oil, it seemed almost watery. I was very dissappointed to see this, as the thinner the oil means the less viscosity typically, therefore the less coating protection of engine internals. So, in talking with my service guy about my concern, I requested that next time I have my oil change, I would like to run maybe 10W-30. I figured also, that if you, or anyone, has one of the ticky valvetrain motors that so many of us have whined about, having a slightly thicker motor oil might cure some of that valvetrain noise....just a thought

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
yea its pretty thin, dont worry about it dude! i shit bricks tonight when i saw mine for the first time, plus it didnt even register on my dip stick as i mentioned in an earlier thread.....well anyhow id stick to what the factory recommends for the weight of the oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts