IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 STI, Cobb stage 2+ turboback kit including SF intake and accessport. I'm running it on a 93 octane map. The car has 85k Kms, and the clutch is slipping at high RPM especially in 5th and 6th or any time you want to drive with any kind of throttle more than grandma would use. A garage I used has told me that a clutch replacement soon is coming, and I wanted to look into my options before simply asking them to replace the stock one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an upgrade? Considering the clutch started slipping shortly after the Cobb parts were put in, I'd assume the increased power was what pushed the clutch to starting to fail. I'm stuck driving in "I" mode or the clutch just slips all over the place.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i personally have an act clutch and have had good luck with it (i'm making 401wtq). it's the ACT HD setup with an oem flywheel.

many have had good luck with excedy, but i havent personally used them.

with that setup, you are probably in the 300ish wtq range. and would want a clutch built to handle a bit more than that. or just get one that is built to handle your overall goals so you only do it once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i personally have an act clutch and have had good luck with it (i'm making 401wtq). it's the ACT HD setup with an oem flywheel.

many have had good luck with excedy, but i havent personally used them.

with that setup, you are probably in the 300ish wtq range. and would want a clutch built to handle a bit more than that. or just get one that is built to handle your overall goals so you only do it once.
I have heard that ACT is a great way to go for this kind of thing. Being new to the idea of clutch replacement, I was not aware that there is a "heavier" feel to the clutch with something like an ACT replacement. If that's the case, does anyone have any examples of what that might mean? My goal isn't to go much beyond if at all the Cobb Stage 2+ bolt on kit that I've put in power wise. I am replacing with generally "better" as things wear out, and hoping I can get more than 85k kms off the next clutch. I don't go to the track, but I like to have fun with acceleration driving around town. I like the idea of having a heavier clutch for durability sake, but I don't need a "racing" clutch or anything, although like I said, I do like to do the odd power acceleration.

Thanks for the tip regardless man.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
116 Posts
I had an old WRX wagon that had the TOB clip fail causing the TOB to pull out of the pressure plate. When I pulled the car apart, I installed a monoloc and don't plan on ever doing a pull style clutch again without installing one of those. I think that car had a stock replacement exedy clutch in it.

Loved the ACT on my 240sx, S2000, and Evo. I'll probably go that route if I ever have the STI apart.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I would probably go with the Exedy Stage 1 Organic HD when the time comes for me. Plenty of info on here to help you decide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would probably go with the Exedy Stage 1 Organic HD when the time comes for me. Plenty of info on here to help you decide.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually haven't really been able to experience much of the car with the Cobb kit on it, mostly been stuck on I mode. I wish I knew if I'd be happy with the OEM assuming its as durable as something else. Durability is more of a factor than anything else for daily driving and a bit of fun. I just don't want to try a launch on a backroad and blow out the next stock OEM clutch when I should've gotten a Exedy HD or something.

Also as an Ontarian, we use lots of salt on our roads up here, so that's a factor too. Many are cringing at the idea of running their toy car on cold salty roads, but that's reality where I'm from. You deal with salt or you don't drive the car 5-6 months of the year.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^

Stage 2 or 2+ didn't do your clutch in. Exedy is "OEM". So Exedy OEM replacement, or one step up which is the stage one.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
761 Posts
Also FYI, launching doesn't do your clutch any favours.
Pulls from a roll in first, sure, but revving it up and dumping clutch on an awd car is why you need a new clutch at 85k (52k to our American friends).
I'm at 130k on my 12' and FBO with headers and my clutch is mint, but I never launch the car.
Rally cars get rebuilt all the time and presumably get fresh clutches often, so if you don't want to be doing that as well, avoid launching from a standstill.
An OEM clutch can handle all the power you can crank out of a stock turbo, but it's not great for launching.
Another member on here managed to melt his OEM clutch with only like 15k on his brand new STi iirc, but again, launching lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also FYI, launching doesn't do your clutch any favours.
Pulls from a roll in first, sure, but revving it up and dumping clutch on an awd car is why you need a new clutch at 85k (52k to our American friends).
I'm at 130k on my 12' and FBO with headers and my clutch is mint, but I never launch the car.
Rally cars get rebuilt all the time and presumably get fresh clutches often, so if you don't want to be doing that as well, avoid launching from a standstill.
An OEM clutch can handle all the power you can crank out of a stock turbo, but it's not great for launching.
Another member on here managed to melt his OEM clutch with only like 15k on his brand new STi iirc, but again, launching lol.
I won't be launching with this clutch. I can't afford to be replacing it every 85k. 93 octane is $2.08 / L where I am now yeeesh.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I won't be launching with this clutch. I can't afford to be replacing it every 85k. 93 octane is $2.08 / L where I am now yeeesh.
well not launching is the best way lol, but you CAN launch it safely so long as you do it properly and dont dump/sidestep the clutch. best way ive heard it described online to do it properly is to slowly release the clutch, as if you stepped in dog poo and are lifting your foot slowly out of the poo lol. i have probably 100 or so launches on my current clutch and it has no signs of slipping or going out. and i had an additional 100+ on the oem clutch, most without issue, it started slipping on a drag race day with a prepped track, had to run those launches at like 6k to keep it from bogging down. most of mine are in an autocross/trackcross setting where it's asphault and the tires spin just a tad.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
Stage 2 or 2+ didn't do your clutch in. Exedy is "OEM". So Exedy OEM replacement, or one step up which is the stage one.
I wrote this because as AustinSedz wrote they will handle anything a stock turbo and fueling can produce.
The are nice to drive
They are reliable (which is more than I can say about the two ACTs I've had in my 05)
They are not expensive compared to others.

·
Registered
236 Posts
well not launching is the best way lol, but you CAN launch it safely so long as you do it properly and dont dump/sidestep the clutch. best way ive heard it described online to do it properly is to slowly release the clutch, as if you stepped in dog poo and are lifting your foot slowly out of the poo lol. i have probably 100 or so launches on my current clutch and it has no signs of slipping or going out. and i had an additional 100+ on the oem clutch, most without issue, it started slipping on a drag race day with a prepped track, had to run those launches at like 6k to keep it from bogging down. most of mine are in an autocross/trackcross setting where it's asphault and the tires spin just a tad.
I heard of this dog poo technique lol and I think I understand it. I was looking up videos yesterday on YouTube trying to understand it with my brother, who's confident he can launch it correctly. Me, I'm looking for gravely roads first :LOL:

Sorry for sidetracking. Haven't looked at clutches much, but that beast Devin Niemela that pulls engines and transmissions like he's changing floor mats went with the ACT Twin Disc which he's been very pleased with, mainly saying it feels just like stock.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
761 Posts
only 2.08?
Petro 94 is around 2.20 here last I checked 😂
I need gas soon so that’s not something to brag about I guess!

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
Are you referring to the stock OEM clutch? Or the Exedy Organic HD stage 1 clutch when you said "they" :)
Subaru uses Exedy clutches, no? So the Excedy OEM replacement is "stock". The Stage one is a supposedly a step up. I'm not convinced it actually is. Seems the same but has a stated rating where the OEM clutch does not. The could have different composition, or other minor difference. They are similar, almost the same.

Sorry for sidetracking. Haven't looked at clutches much, but that beast Devin Niemela that pulls engines and transmissions like he's changing floor mats went with the ACT Twin Disc which he's been very pleased with, mainly saying it feels just like stock.
My poor experience with two ACT HDSS clutches mentioned in were premature failures with clutches that had no abuse whatsoever. They were failures due to defects, not wear issues. I have no experience with twin discs, but the OPs car does not warrant a twin disk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@mheyman

What do you recommend for me to look at for a replacement? I would like to get one that is a bit heavier duty or tougher than the one it came with. I know you don't trust ATC any more, whats your pick if you had my car at this moment?

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
Clutch recommendations previously stated - but there are other popular clutches not in this thread.
Personally I would do an ACT Streetlite flywheel unless you live in steep terian.

and for the record my failed ACTs both had about 10Kmi on them, Neither had signs of wear. Both failed after sitting. The second one for only two weeks. IE they drove and parked fine. Then would not disengage when started. One had a cracked pressure plate. Not sure about the other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts